Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #1

picasa ? from newb

I am still trying to learn what the heck i'm doing here. I just shot my first RAW PEF photos and used Picasa to view them. The first one i took, the colors looked very muted, almost B&W. so then i took a few more in RAW+ mode so i figured i could compare the two. Same thing, the colors are really funky looking (all blue and brown tones) on all of the RAWs, the JPEGS look fine. The RAW images look normal in camera, so is this a picasa issue? Thanks

12-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iggy373 Quote
I am still trying to learn what the heck i'm doing here. I just shot my first RAW PEF photos and used Picasa to view them. The first one i took, the colors looked very muted, almost B&W. so then i took a few more in RAW+ mode so i figured i could compare the two. Same thing, the colors are really funky looking (all blue and brown tones) on all of the RAWs, the JPEGS look fine. The RAW images look normal in camera, so is this a picasa issue? Thanks
as usual, post an example with the EXIF intact
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
I think i may have figured it out, I tried again but this time with PNGs and it looks fine, so i'm just guessing the Picasa doesn't like PEFs.
12-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
Picasa Web Albums - BrandonWigboldy

12-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
eclipsed450

I find the raw converter for picasa is crap for PEF files. While it's a VERY useful software for jpg's, it's not for raw files. Try something else, like the pentax software, or if you can afford it, Adobe's Lightroom.
12-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting. The last two shots of the fireplace have all the same settings except one says the ISO was 3200 and one says 250. The other messed up shot also says 250.

Doesn't seems normal to me. Have you tried the supplied pentax software? Do you get the same results? Have you tried reinstalling Picasa?
12-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've noticed the same effect with my K-7 RAW files.
What camera do you use?

12-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
the camera is a Pentax Kx
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
In the last fireplace one i also just noticed a weird line going the whole height of the pic on the far right side.
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Doesn't seems normal to me. Have you tried the supplied pentax software? Do you get the same results? Have you tried reinstalling Picasa?
I have not tried yet. Have to give it a shot later.
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

the camera is a Pentax Kx
A new camera as well. My K10D photos are handled well by Picasa.
I guess Google needs to update their Pentax RAW format file interpretation.
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Forum Member

I shoot DNG from k-x and process in picasa because I am cheap. The DNG always gets a black bar on the shutter side of the picture no matter what. I havn't played with PEF. jpg in picasa is fine. Weird.
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the newest version of Picasa? Maybe they updated it for the newer cameras. Also, there is a free raw converter out there called RawTherapee. It is pretty good for the price, and works with the newer cameras if you get the new version. My father bought a Canon T1i, and I had to get the newest version to convert the raw files from it, and it worked just fine. Plus it delves a little deeper than Picasa as far as editing photos..

link: RawTherapee V2.4.1 released
12-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Forum Member

I have the same issues as described above (blue cast with .PEF files and black bar with .DNG files). I don't think that Picasa has been updated for the KX RAW format yet. The pics are fine when viewed in Photoshop Elements 8
12-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picasa has no issues displaying my PEF's from the K10D. The Kx is new and they haven't updated for the Kx and K7 yet but that will probably be soon. There were a couple of posts a few weeks back with Elements problems also but that seems to be updated as was just mentioned.