Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Manual focus result

Hi,

After much deleting and sorting, here are a couple of manual focused pics from my new k-x and super tak 28mm f3.5.

All are shot at f3.5

Files shot RAW DNG from k-x and just straight export from picasa 3.5 with resize to 640x480.

the sock one was so hard to focus that I gave up and used liveview as is the angle on top of the tree.

Any advise on shooting xmas tree as well as focus are welcome! Also, does every one get that silly blackbar on the side when shoot raw in picasa? I don't have any other software so I don't know if the bar is normal or just my camera. jpg is OK.

thanks

Attached Images

12-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
With manual focus lenses i usually just wait till my viewfinder flashes red but i guess u cant to that with the kx. I think the best way is to trust your viewfinder. As you have plenty of time to focus on those sort of object just find approximate focus, and go back and forth until you find a nice balance between them. ie, front focus then back focus and slowly work your way in. Eventually you get the hang of it and can focus fairly quickly. While some people like to use live view to focus i never really got into it unless i was using a tripod for landscapes but to each his own yea

a little bit of nitpicking btw, are you new to photography? While the photos do look nice, they could have easily looked great with just a few basic adjustments to your composition, ie rule of thirds, more creative angles instead of front on and filling the frame.
12-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice shots! The black bar is not normal. Probably a side effect of the fact that Picasa doens't yet support the K-x.
12-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
With manual focus lenses i usually just wait till my viewfinder flashes red but i guess u cant to that with the kx.
The K-x doesn't have the red dots, but that's OK, it has the green hexagon. The red dots don't tell you when you're in focus anyhow - they just tell you where the camera is *trying* to focus. So even on camera that have the red dots, you should be waiting for the green hexagon. I turned off my red dots years ago.

But given that it only works for objects near the center, and you can't ever be sure exactly *which* object near the center is being confirmed, I still find the hexagon no substitute for trusting your eyes, and the back-and-forth technique you describe is more or less how I do it, too. the key being to not just be aware of whether the object you care about is in focus, but to be aware at all times of where the in-focus zone zone is, carefully move it a little in front and a ittle behind your subject, then split the difference.

12-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc covered things pretty well. I will only add to also adjust the diopter (if the Kx has a diopter adjuster) for your eyesight and check it from time to time because it's easy to accidently move on my camera in normal everyday handling.
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But given that it only works for objects near the center
so the hexagon only pops up when the center is in focus. this might explain my question in the other thread regarding shots in the enitre dof being out of focus. i was concentrating on the center /hexagon and maybe should have been using my eyes on over the entire scene instead.
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
a little bit of nitpicking btw, are you new to photography? While the photos do look nice, they could have easily looked great with just a few basic adjustments to your composition, ie rule of thirds, more creative angles instead of front on and filling the frame.
Yup. New. Came from standard P&S camera. So, using the k-x like a P&S for now. The house is really a mess. so, If I don't get it tight, you will see a lot of "junk" LOL

I know you can do that DOF thing to blur out BG, but, given the 3.5ness, I am very sure you will just see blurred junk hehe...

12-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
so the hexagon only pops up when the center is in focus. this might explain my question in the other thread regarding shots in the enitre dof being out of focus. i was concentrating on the center /hexagon and maybe should have been using my eyes on over the entire scene instead.
As Marc has explained to me in other posts as well as my own experience, the hex is slow to appear and slow to disappear. I have had it linger till that even I could tell the frame is no long in focus. I do use it as a guild to fine tune but, I certainly don't trust it anymore. In auto focus lenses, it seems fine though.

On a tripod, I find LV x 16 superb for focus!! But, I hate getting mine out and taking up space and I am lazy.