Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #16

Original Poster
one more quick question. When you see F stop, they are referring to aperture correct?

12-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes - you haven't read the articles yet, have you?
12-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
lol, not yet. I was waiting til the kids went to bed to read them.
12-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
Perhaps if you read "Understanding Exposure", it will help you understand the relationship between the parameters of exposure.

But it's pretty simple - To keep the SAME exposure value (EV), raising the ISO from 800 to 1600 requires you to either close down the aperture a stop, or increase your shutter speed by one stop. So if you're at f/5.6, 1/500s, ISO800, increasing the ISO to 1600, you can either be at -
f/8, 1/500s, ISO1600 OR
f/5.6, 1/1000s, ISO1600.

Bryan Peterson also goes over a lot of other basics. It's a good book. You should read it.

12-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol, not yet. I was waiting til the kids went to bed to read them.
I remember those days - now I have two sons in college and supporting 3 households. At this pace it will take you a while to get through your reading assignments - especially after bedtime stories....

12-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanx, I searched "center point-recompose"
and couldnt come up with anything.
You'll more often see the technique describes as focus-recompose (with or without the hyphen; this usually implies using the center point.

QuoteQuote:
Does this method work well for a shallow DOF aswell as a larger DOF?
Good question. It doesn't work *as* well, for two reasons. One is that when you recompose, you are mostly likely changing the camera position slightly. Another is that it would only work perfectly is the focus field on the lens was spherical - in other words, if the lens was designed so that all objects the same *distance* from the camera would be in focus together. In reality, lenses are usually designed to have flatter focus fields than this. So on the edges of the frame, objects need to be *further away* than they do at the center to be in focus. DOF often covers that discrepancy, but not always. It's worth experimenting. there's an infamous article called "why focus recompose sucks" that explains the problem very well, but goes *way* overboard - the reality is, the problem just doesn't show up very often. You need a very shallow DOF, and/or a very flat focus field (something the author of the article assumes is more common than it is) to have any problems. Luckily, we have viewfinders and eyes. So if you see the focus is off, you can fix it manually.