Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #1

Super Noob doesnt get it..... :confused:

sup everybody,

I'm a self proclaimed photography super noob and am trying to digest all this information. I will be buying my first DSLR very soon, I'm trying to learn some stuff while I wait for my camera.

I've done a lot of research and I now know what DOF, aperture,shutter speed and ISO is but how do you know when to tweak what with the settings. Is there some sort of rule you guys(photographers) go buy as far as ISO,aperture and shutter speed settings go?

Also, are there some good books our there, besides the camera user manual that is good for photography/DSLR noobs. Some sort of Photography bible would be nice,lol.

12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Get this book: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
Well first off you'll get a lot of noise. Higher ISO means the sensor/film is more sensitive to light. So if you're in a lowlight situation you can get up to a handholdable shutter speed. Or it may allow you to get the shot. In general, higher ISO allows a higher shutter speed, a smaller aperture, or both. Personally I rarely go above 400 ISO.

12-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No disrespect, but I would submit that you don't have a clear understanding of those things if you don't understand the relationship between them.

I would take SOldbears advice and get the "understanding exposure" book. If you don't want to buy a book look at this basic intro:

webphotoschool

I would look around the site in general as it has some good information.
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
No disrespect, but I would submit that you don't have a clear understanding of those things if you don't understand the relationship between them.

I would take SOldbears advice and get the "understanding exposure" book. If you don't want to buy a book look at this basic intro:

webphotoschool

I would look around the site in general as it has some good information.
thanx for the reply. What are some of the factors you guys thing about when making said adjustments?

I was reading some of the previous posts here and came across something I am a little curious about. What does center point and recompose mean as it pertains to focusing?
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thanx for the reply. What are some of the factors you guys thing about when making said adjustments?

I was reading some of the previous posts here and came across something I am a little curious about. What does center point and recompose mean as it pertains to focusing?
Let me also suggest purchasing and reading "understanding exposure".

A very easy way to control your focal point is to use center point focusing. I'd be willing to bet you own a point and shoot camera already, so you can practice this skill now.

When you are composing your shot, center the subject that you want in focus. Then, press the shutter halfway down to lock the focus. With the shutter pressed half-way, recompose your shot (i.e. shift the camera to gain a better composition), then press the shutter all the way.

Even though you aren't centered on the original subject, the subject should still be in focus.

For example:

I centered the camera on the Canadian Geese, then I locked the focus by pressing the shutter half way. Then I shifted the camera to include the foreground, including the Bison. See how the Bison is slightly out of focus and the Geese are in focus, even though the image is centered between the two of them?

12-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanx, I searched "center point-recompose" and couldnt come up with anything. Does this method work well for a shallow DOF aswell as a larger DOF?

Yes I own Nikon Coolpix and it's a real POS. Thats a really nice shot by the way.
12-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanx, I searched "center point-recompose" and couldnt come up with anything. Does this method work well for a shallow DOF aswell as a larger DOF?

Yes I own Nikon Coolpix and it's a real POS. Thats a really nice shot by the way.
Thanks. You can learn how to compose and start to understand how sensitivity, aperture and shutter speed are related using your Coolpix. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you'll be more impressed with your Nikon after you're more familiar with it's basic functions (which, of course, is the same way any camera functions).
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came across this site and thought that it may be help....

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | Camera Simulator

Play around with this simulator a bit and I think that it will help you establish the inter-relationships. Also, I would suggest that when playing with the aperture alone, take a look at the background of the image, and you will see it blur at the lower f stops (depth of field or DoF).

Have fun!!
12-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I came across this site and thought that it may be help....

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | Camera Simulator

Play around with this simulator a bit and I think that it will help you establish the inter-relationships. Also, I would suggest that when playing with the aperture alone, take a look at the background of the image, and you will see it blur at the lower f stops (depth of field or DoF).

Have fun!!
wow that really does give you a great idea of what each setting does. I understand the trade-off with each setting adjustment.
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #13

Original Poster

awesome, thanx. You guys really are friendly around here. Whats the catch? Do I need to give up a kidney or something, lol.
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
awesome, thanx. You guys really are friendly around here. Whats the catch? Do I need to give up a kidney or something, lol.
Nope, just give it a good read.
12-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #15

Original Poster
haha, will do.