Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Super Noob doesnt get it..... :confused:

sup everybody,

I'm a self proclaimed photography super noob and am trying to digest all this information. I will be buying my first DSLR very soon, I'm trying to learn some stuff while I wait for my camera.

I've done a lot of research and I now know what DOF, aperture,shutter speed and ISO is but how do you know when to tweak what with the settings. Is there some sort of rule you guys(photographers) go buy as far as ISO,aperture and shutter speed settings go?

Also, are there some good books our there, besides the camera user manual that is good for photography/DSLR noobs. Some sort of Photography bible would be nice,lol.

12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
Get this book: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
graphicgr8s
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
Well first off you'll get a lot of noise. Higher ISO means the sensor/film is more sensitive to light. So if you're in a lowlight situation you can get up to a handholdable shutter speed. Or it may allow you to get the shot. In general, higher ISO allows a higher shutter speed, a smaller aperture, or both. Personally I rarely go above 400 ISO.

12-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member
mtroute's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 532
QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
ok, let me clarify as my first question was a little bit unclear. I have a good understanding of when you would adjust each setting in certain situations, the question I have is more with all the settings in relation to each other. If I raise the ISO to say 1600, what do I do with the aperture and shutter speeds?
No disrespect, but I would submit that you don't have a clear understanding of those things if you don't understand the relationship between them.

I would take SOldbears advice and get the "understanding exposure" book. If you don't want to buy a book look at this basic intro:

webphotoschool

I would look around the site in general as it has some good information.
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
No disrespect, but I would submit that you don't have a clear understanding of those things if you don't understand the relationship between them.

I would take SOldbears advice and get the "understanding exposure" book. If you don't want to buy a book look at this basic intro:

webphotoschool

I would look around the site in general as it has some good information.
thanx for the reply. What are some of the factors you guys thing about when making said adjustments?

I was reading some of the previous posts here and came across something I am a little curious about. What does center point and recompose mean as it pertains to focusing?
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member
matiki's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 393
QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
thanx for the reply. What are some of the factors you guys thing about when making said adjustments?

I was reading some of the previous posts here and came across something I am a little curious about. What does center point and recompose mean as it pertains to focusing?
Let me also suggest purchasing and reading "understanding exposure".

A very easy way to control your focal point is to use center point focusing. I'd be willing to bet you own a point and shoot camera already, so you can practice this skill now.

When you are composing your shot, center the subject that you want in focus. Then, press the shutter halfway down to lock the focus. With the shutter pressed half-way, recompose your shot (i.e. shift the camera to gain a better composition), then press the shutter all the way.

Even though you aren't centered on the original subject, the subject should still be in focus.

For example:



I centered the camera on the Canadian Geese, then I locked the focus by pressing the shutter half way. Then I shifted the camera to include the foreground, including the Bison. See how the Bison is slightly out of focus and the Geese are in focus, even though the image is centered between the two of them?
12-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster
Thanx, I searched "center point-recompose" and couldnt come up with anything. Does this method work well for a shallow DOF aswell as a larger DOF?

Yes I own Nikon Coolpix and it's a real POS. Thats a really nice shot by the way.

12-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member
matiki's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 393
QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
Thanx, I searched "center point-recompose" and couldnt come up with anything. Does this method work well for a shallow DOF aswell as a larger DOF?

Yes I own Nikon Coolpix and it's a real POS. Thats a really nice shot by the way.
Thanks. You can learn how to compose and start to understand how sensitivity, aperture and shutter speed are related using your Coolpix. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you'll be more impressed with your Nikon after you're more familiar with it's basic functions (which, of course, is the same way any camera functions).
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
I came across this site and thought that it may be help....

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | Camera Simulator

Play around with this simulator a bit and I think that it will help you establish the inter-relationships. Also, I would suggest that when playing with the aperture alone, take a look at the background of the image, and you will see it blur at the lower f stops (depth of field or DoF).

Have fun!!
12-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I came across this site and thought that it may be help....

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | Camera Simulator

Play around with this simulator a bit and I think that it will help you establish the inter-relationships. Also, I would suggest that when playing with the aperture alone, take a look at the background of the image, and you will see it blur at the lower f stops (depth of field or DoF).

Have fun!!
wow that really does give you a great idea of what each setting does. I understand the trade-off with each setting adjustment.
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster

awesome, thanx. You guys really are friendly around here. Whats the catch? Do I need to give up a kidney or something, lol.
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
awesome, thanx. You guys really are friendly around here. Whats the catch? Do I need to give up a kidney or something, lol.
Nope, just give it a good read.
12-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Junior Member
Digital Dustin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu....for now
Posts: 42
Original Poster
haha, will do.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, noob, pentax help, photography, settings, sort
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! My head doesnt fit my legs! kthung Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 12-06-2009 09:29 AM
ME Super Noob Film Question KJon Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 06-27-2009 11:21 AM
Vivitar 70-150 P/K Doesnt fit? 5teve Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 04-13-2009 10:55 AM
Newegg doesnt ship to my country. Reportage General Talk 1 04-10-2009 12:08 PM
17-70 constant 2.8 zoom... Why doesnt it exist? Andi Lo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 03-25-2009 09:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top