Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for action Pentaxers

Hi all
I mailny shoot airplanes in motion with a 100-300mm lens.
Which of the next configurations would you use with a K10D & SMC FA 100-300 4.5-5.6.

1.-AFC, anti shake on
2.-AFS,anti shake off

Or any of these mixed??
Here are some of my pics PentaxForums.com - emisor73's Album: JETLINERS

I usually use setting #1 and I get most of my pics blurry and 1 or 2 well focused, any tips to get more shots with good quality?
Thanks in advance.

12-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't shoot planes, but remember that AFC allows the camera to take a photo without confirmation of focus. Your most precise focus will be if you use AFS. At 300 mm you will be best using a monopod as well. Shake reduction can help reduce camera motion to a certain extent, but remember that without using shake reduction, your shutter speed should be a minimum of 1/300 to prevent camera shake.

I guess I would use AFS with shake reduction on and consider getting something to help stabilize me even more like a monopod.

(Nice photos by the way).
12-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't shoot planes, but remember that AFC allows the camera to take a photo without confirmation of focus. Your most precise focus will be if you use AFS. At 300 mm you will be best using a monopod as well. Shake reduction can help reduce camera motion to a certain extent, but remember that without using shake reduction, your shutter speed should be a minimum of 1/300 to prevent camera shake.

I guess I would use AFS with shake reduction on and consider getting something to help stabilize me even more like a monopod.

(Nice photos by the way).
I second this opinion.

- Bert
12-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As the equivalent focal distance is 450mm, I would use 1/450s or faster. Is that correct reasoning? Or is it in this case about the real focal length?

However, don't forget that it's a rule of thumb. Some people are definitely capable of doing better.

12-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's true you'd consider the crop factor shoot for 1/450" to the extent the old rule of thumb about 1 / focal_length made sense in the first place. On the other hand, SR means you can generally get by with shutter speeds a couple of stops slower.
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #6

while technically u should use shutter speeds of 1/450 some of the blur from your photos may be from subject movement seeing as your shoot aircraft. Don't be scared of bumping your iso up one step just so you can get that extra speed without having to open up your lens.
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I haven't shot too many airplanes. Probably the most recent was on my vacation last summer and I was fishing out of my kayak on Long Lake not far from a seaplane dock and the planes were landing and taking off on a fairly regular basis. On almost everyshot, I was panning and and you have to match the pan to the speed. You can do this at some pretty slow shutter speeds but it takes practice. The faster the shutter speed, the more you will freeze and more keepers. I find it much easier to do this with a monopod. It provides a much more stable platform and smoother movement.
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for confirming that the crop factor should be taken into account when applying the old rule of thumb.

12-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
First, thank you all.

I think I got two important points in these feed back, 1st. Rondecīs quote about the camera can shoot without focusing, and second the tenasioous one about ISO.

I usualy forget about ISO manually, when shooting airplanes in a nice sunny day I use 1/350~1000 and f6.7~8 in TAV mode or M.
I get good results with that settings but lately I am trying to get more good shots, and certainly with your help I will.
Thanks to Rondec,Bimy141,Marc Stabatella,reeftool,TTOne, for taking your time with my question.
Reeftool.- Thanks for the panning tips, I have some good panning shots but sometimes It is very hard to do it with big airplanes if too close to them.