Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Auto focus problems???

Hi you all, I just registered and need your help,

I just got my knew K20d two days ago (my first DSLR) and am having a hard time to get the auto focus to work.

I got a kit lens with it (18-55 ll) and its keeps going back and forth to focus but doesn't focus.

Is there anything I have to do to get it to operate properly ???

I really wouldn't be very happy to have to send her to a repare shop on the third day I got her !!!

12-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K20d auto focus

Hi you all, I just registered and need your help,

I just got my knew K20d two days ago (my first DSLR) and am having a hard time to get the auto focus to work.

I got a kit lens with it (18-55 ll) and its keeps going back and forth to focus but doesn't focus.

Is there anything I have to do to get it to operate properly ???

I really wouldn't be very happy to have to send her to a repare shop on the third day I got her !!!

Thanks a lot for your help
12-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Can you describe the situation in more detail? We'll need to know how bright your testing conditions are and what are you trying to focus upon.

I don't have the kit lens but except for low-contrast subjects in dark light (or if I forgot to take the lens cap off!) I don't have any back-and-forth focusing issues.
12-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome.
The first question we're going to want answered is "Have you read the manual?".

Secondly, we need more information. What are you trying to focus on and what are the lighting conditions? It may be too dark for the camera to focus, you may be too close or there may not be enough contrast for the camera to focus on something.

Please don't start duplicate threads (you will see that I have merged both of them) it just creates unnecessary work for moderators.

12-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you guys,

Brit, sorry about the duplicate threads, I' still working my way around this forum.

I didn't read the manual but I read the Magic Lantern K20d guide and Yvon Bourque's K20d ebook which I thought were much better.

I'm out in my garden, beautiful day, trying to focus on anything, a chair a plant, my wife, my dog and the lens just seems to keep chasing the focus but doesn't stop.
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moorby Quote
Thank you guys,

Brit, sorry about the duplicate threads, I' still working my way around this forum.

I didn't read the manual but I read the Magic Lantern K20d guide and Yvon Bourque's K20d ebook which I thought were much better.

I'm out in my garden, beautiful day, trying to focus on anything, a chair a plant, my wife, my dog and the lens just seems to keep chasing the focus but doesn't stop.
check to see if the Focus Mode Lever is set to AF.S(single), if it is on AF.C (cotinuous) it will go on off on off focus if you are trying a stationary shot.
12-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

The autofocus mode switch that "Seeing Well" mentioned is a very good suggestion. I haven't used my K20D for several months and I've forgotten pretty much everything so I'm starting over again.

I suggest you read the manual. Yup, it's a monster manual but it's also a monster camera capable of taking amazing photos.

Looks like we'll be muddling along together either learning or re-learning how to make it sing.

They are EXTREMELY helpful here in giving instructions and moral support. Damn Brit, despite his name, is a real sweetheart...quite knowledgeable...and only barks and bites when newbies (like us) fall into the bad habit of expecting to be spoonfed information.

So, I'm re-reading the manual tonight....what are you doing?

12-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll start reading mine.
Good luck
12-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RTFM is always an excellent suggestion...not that I ever do, at first anyway...