Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
need fast help for christmas

when i put this lens on my camera, the camera is asking me for the focal legnth just like it does when i throw on my 50 mm manual. this is an auto focus 35-70 lens though...what should i choose?

12-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid this is only an AF lens on the Pentax ME-F camera.
On all dSLRs it acts as an M lens, where you have to indicate to the camera what focal length it is (so you can enter in 35mm) and use it in M mode.

See here for more details on this lens:
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 35-70mm F2.8
12-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if i enter 35mm, can i still scope it out to 70? guess there's only one way to find out
12-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
if i enter 35mm, can i still scope it out to 70? guess there's only one way to find out
I think it'll be OK. When the camera asks for focal length, this is for the SR system, when the lens doesn't have the circuitry to just tell it what focal length you're at. There's actually a rule of thumb about this, but I think it'll avoid overcorrecting if you enter the shortest focal length. (I may have this backwards: if you aren't getting sharp photos, just turn off the SR or use flash, or set the focal length you're shooting at)

That lens is a little unique among Pentax 'AF' lenses: it's made to go with a specific camera, (the ME-F) long before autofocus SLRs were really successfully-introduced. Different system than your DSLR. But some might like to have it, if you're inclined to trade for something more modern.

12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This lens can't "talk" to your camera. Your camera needs to know the focal length of the lens so it can apply the correct amount of shake reduction, less at 35mm and more at 70mm but it probably won't matter much unless you are shooting at less than 1/70 second shutter speeds. I would probably split the difference and tell the camera 50mm when it asks.
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry, the lens will still zoom out to 70mm and work as expected.
12-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Don't worry, the lens will still zoom out to 70mm and work as expected.
Heehee. With some batteries in it to power the zoom buttons, yes? I haven't handled one of those since I was yea high. It was very impressive at the time.

I'm starting to think we could start a 'Holiday Elves' thread for those who've got new stuff to make work real quick to get holiday photos.
12-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Some like to input the median or mean of the whole zoom range while others place the minimum zoom.
Others still input the maximum zoom of the lens.
I say, whatever of the zoom range you will be using most, then input that figure in.
This is where the SR will work best since if you input the minimum but use always the max zoom, then the SR might not compensate for enough of the shake at 70mm.
If you input the 70mm though and you constantly use the 35mm instead, the SR might overcompensate too and still cause SR noise/shake.
Test to see what works for you beast and your style of steadiness.

12-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I thought the rule of thumb was to always set SR for the lowest focal length of the lens. SR becomes less effective when zoomed in, but works as expected when zoomed out. Setting the SR at 50mm would make SR more effective at 75mm, but would over-compensate for camera shake when at 35mm, causing your pictures to go blurry. All of 'em.
12-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I thought the rule of thumb was to always set SR for the lowest focal length of the lens. SR becomes less effective when zoomed in, but works as expected when zoomed out. Setting the SR at 50mm would make SR more effective at 75mm, but would over-compensate for camera shake when at 35mm, causing your pictures to go blurry. All of 'em.
Thanks, FTP. I was right the first time, here.
12-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Inactive Account

OMG!!! I haven't seen one of those for many years. If you don't have one, search out am MEF camera and buy it. The combo (lens + camera) were the first Pentax Autofocus set up and at least one of the first SLR auto focus sets. Remnants of the days when the "artsy" Pentax was leading the pack.
12-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Well, you know as they say..different strokes for different folks!
That's why I never gave a definitive answer and it gave him the whole bunch!
12-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If you don't have one, search out am MEF camera and buy it.
Looking at the pic the OP provided, it appears he may already have the ME-F body, judging from the body box shown.

Although the ME-F body is relatively easy to obtain, it is that lens that is much harder to find.

12-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah i got both....but i can't get the auto focus to work. maybe i inserted the batteries incorrectly???
any trouble shooting ideas? i can get a picture, but cant get the focus to work. i'm hoping this is a decent lens to play around with. i'd like to get it up and running. i'm finding with my prime 50 that i have a difficult time findig enough room indoors. this at 35 should be sharper than my kit 18-55 correct?