Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I don't think they make something like these with a Pentax mount...at least, I don't think they do.
Sigma have started releasing their new lenses that have OS in all mounts including Pentax. You can either switch it off on the body or the lens depending on which you prefer.

12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #32
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Myoptimism Quote
(accurate description of several of my photo friends)
Have you ever compared the two, side by side? .
Please, read what you just wrote and then think on how to make use of the smiley with sunglasses. I will give you a hint. When using cheesy smileys make sure that you are talking of first hand experience. :ugh:
12-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Sigma have started releasing their new lenses that have OS in all mounts including Pentax. You can either switch it off on the body or the lens depending on which you prefer.
I wonder how that will turn out.
Would they cancel each other out or overcompensate since you have both working?
12-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I know they were talking about releasing such lenses but did not know they had begun shipping them where the stabilization used was up to the user's choice.

I ask because I haven't run across any news or reviews comparing the OS to SR. for the Pentx mount Sigmas or even a Sony mount for that matter.

12-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not claiming the FA50 1.4 sets the standard for build quality, but even die-hard Canon shooters (accurate description of several of my photo friends) openly laugh at the feel of the Canon 1.8. They call it their disposable lens...if it breaks in a few years, they will just buy another one.

Have you ever compared the two, side by side? But hey, I love the Canon lens, I wish Pentax offered an extremely cheap fast fifty, as it is nice to have something for low light, no flash situations (like museums), but it isn't really my favorite focal length.
I have to say I NEVER liked either of the two copies for the Canon Nifty-fifty I owned nor the copy my neighbor has. It really is not very sharp when you need it to be sharp, maybe a bit sharper in the center but it's a small part of the center on it's best day. Though like many mention, it's a real key-buy for a fast-ish AF 50mm. I have to say my SMC 55/2 is far better than the nifty's I tried/owned.
12-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Please, read what you just wrote and then think on how to make use of the smiley with sunglasses. I will give you a hint. When using cheesy smileys make sure that you are talking of first hand experience. :ugh:
Okay Gruoso,
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Tony
12-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #37
Not Registered

Okay Gruoso,
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Tony
Got me there

12-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #38
Forum Member

Verrry interesting thread to me.
I abandoned Can*n and sold my 350D recently. Still have a couple of Can*n lenses and a flash gun lying about. Looking back at the relatively few photos I took with the EOS, they were pretty darn sharp. The indoor WB was a huge problem but that can be fixed in RAW.
Bought a K200D refurb as I liked the package, valued weather sealing and was not willing to wait for the K-x release--nor willing to pay full retail. Then LBA set in and I now have a significant investment in Pentax.
The K200D feels incredibly solid, love the SR and it has great creative control. High ISO performance is so-so. The WR 18-55 lens is adequate but no great shakes. Manual focus with the older SMC-A lenses is challenging. Probably the best lens I have is the "sledgehammer" Pentax 18-250.
Am I starting to miss the 350D? A little, but not really. I think the real answer will arrive when Pentax combines the K-7 with the K-x sensor.
12-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #39

Original Poster
Ok, I GOT THE K-X!

I like the K-x ergonomics better than mg 400D. The 500D feels exactly like my 400D. The grip feels like a Nikon.

It's a completely different camera from the Canon:

- I have to get used to the inverted twisting of the lens (Canon turns the opposite way)
- There's no sensor that turns-off the LCD when your face (or any object) is directly in front of it
- Noticeably louder shutter sound than Canon
- No Red focus point dots.

It actually feels like a Nikon to me hehe

Image Quality, I have to test some more. It's fun to have ISO3200 and 6400, but JPEG (at 6 megapixel size) is not THAT clean, although definitely useable.

The video mode is actually very nice! I think I will be using it A LOT!
12-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Pentax-f 50mm 1.7

You can usually find this lens used on Ebay for $125-150. VERY, VERY sharp lens (I have owned the cheap Canon 1.8, and I know it is sharp as well) and the build quality is better than the Canon (the Pentax lens is uglier though, imo ) It only has five aperture blades though (if I remember correctly), so the bokeh isn't always the best when stopped down a little (again, like the Canon, if I remember correctly).
Good luck,
Tony
The Pentax-f 50mm 1.7 has 6 aperture blades :
Pentax Normal Prime Lenses

And I also believe them to be rounded, so not the same harsh bokeh as the Canon 50/1.8
12-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The Pentax-f 50mm 1.7 has 6 aperture blades :
Pentax Normal Prime Lenses

And I also believe them to be rounded, so not the same harsh bokeh as the Canon 50/1.8
You are right about the number, thanks for the correction. I am pretty sure they are not rounded though, as I remember getting hexagonal oof highlights stopped down a little, although I have sold my copies (and kept the fa50 1.4) so I can't check right now. Can a current owner of this lens either confirm or deny?
It really isn't that big of a deal though, it (the 1.7) is a very sharp, nice, fast lens that is relatively inexpensive on the used market for someone who wants an autofocus fast fifty.

Tony