Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #1

Pentax Remote Control F

I recently got the Pentax Remote Control F for Christmas, I would imagine you need to set the camera to remote mode through the Fn page. Does anyone know how to do this? Or if this remote is compatable with this camera?

12-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The setting is in the drive mode menu. Press Fn, the up on the directional pad, scroll across the options and you'll come across the remote settings. Enjoy!
12-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You didn't mention what camera you have, but you are entirely correct. You have to change the shooting mode in your camera. On my K200D, I press the "Fn" button, then the UP arrow on the controller, then the RIGHT arrow three times until I get to the remote settings. You can either choose to fire the camera immediately or with a 3-second delay.

Once you put it into remote mode, a red light should blink on the front of the camera to tell you it's ready. It won't blink indefinitely, though; usually just about 30 seconds from the time you put it into remote mode. You can re-activate it by half-pressing the shutter. Be advised that shake-reduction does not kick in while the camera is in this mode.
12-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This remote doesn't have the range though.
I was kind of disappointed when I tried it and the camera won't fire.
I had to walk towards the camera until it triggered the shutter..maybe just around 10 feet.
You have to get/buy the 3rd party remotes (though ugly and large compared to remote F) but you get more range.
I'm planning still on getting myself one since that first mishap.

12-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry, I have a k100d pentax. Thanks for the help.
12-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
That really was a great help guys. I was rather disappointed when I opened up the remote and there were no directions whatsoever in the box to explain how to use it, what batteries the remote takes, etc. Thanks again.

You had spoken earlier that other after-market remotes work better with more range.....any suggestions?
12-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmire Quote
Sorry, I have a k100d pentax. Thanks for the help.
It will work on that.
I have the K100D super myself!
Merry Christmas!

12-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This remote doesn't have the range though.
I was kind of disappointed when I tried it and the camera won't fire.
I had to walk towards the camera until it triggered the shutter..maybe just around 10 feet.

You probably need to change your battery. I get about 30-40 feet of range indoor with the K10/20D bodies.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 12-25-2009 at 11:34 PM.
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
You probably need to change your battery. I get about 30-40 feet of range indoor with mine with the K10/20D.

Thank you
Russell
The remote F is rated for 30,000 exposures. The more likely scenario is that in bright ambient light, the remote just isn't as easy for the camera to see. The range in pitch dark is much greater than the range in sunlight. Honest. If you want reliable remote release, you need a cable release.
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Watch where you put it or lay it down. The thing is so small it is easily misplaced or lost. And if you put it into a backpack or camera case pocket, you really have to dig to find it.....
12-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Watch where you put it or lay it down. The thing is so small it is easily misplaced or lost. And if you put it into a backpack or camera case pocket, you really have to dig to find it.....
Reason number one why mine is kept in a folded white envelope in my bag. Just makes things easier.
12-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The remote F is rated for 30,000 exposures. The more likely scenario is that in bright ambient light, the remote just isn't as easy for the camera to see. The range in pitch dark is much greater than the range in sunlight. Honest. If you want reliable remote release, you need a cable release.
Aha! I have to try this out as I did it in full sunlight.
I still saved the photo of myself approaching the camera with a puzzled look in my face wondering why it wouldn't work.
From what I have heard though, the aftermarket remotes have more range.

As Canada_Rockies also pointed out it should last for 30,000 exposures.
It would be a bummer Russell if the one I got as brand new needs a new battery immediately..or maybe it sat on the shelves so long that the battery just drained.
I have to try both using it first indoors and if that strikes out, just change the freakin battery!
Thanks guys!

I also have the cable remote when I got disappointed with the performance of the tiny remote.
12-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmire Quote
That really was a great help guys. I was rather disappointed when I opened up the remote and there were no directions whatsoever in the box to explain how to use it, what batteries the remote takes, etc. Thanks again.

You had spoken earlier that other after-market remotes work better with more range.....any suggestions?
I think there was a thread here before that talked about this.
I think any of the third party remotes would work but read carefully first about their claim.
Others, state about the range whilst others don't include it in the data/fact sheet.
12-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's a link I found in the forum confirming my experience that the Pentax remote F is only good to about 10ft or so: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67192-wireless-rem...tax-k-7-a.html
They also talk about third party remotes getting better range.
There are also links as to some of the remotes they got.
This should be useful for you kmire.
You can still do some searches to make sure which third party remote really works.
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #15

I've had a Remote Control F for almost five years. It's been used with *istDS bodies, K10D and the K20D. I get much better range than 10 ft. but I have noticed that you have to aim it carefully to strike the sensor on the body.