Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

This lense stuff is confusing!

Yikes what will fit with what!
I have 2 kit lenses and I need a better zoom preferably to 200 or 300 mm.......that will work in not so great light.......the budget precludes a new one!
So I am looking at the secondary market..........something like this ....

Tamron 80-205 f1.4.5.....bayonet......but I am unsure if this will work? How can I tell which adaptor it would need? I would be happy to work in manual.......

or which adaptor works with what?

cheers
Jan

Last edited by janstew; 12-26-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: edited cause I pushed the wrong button!
12-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
Tamron 80-205 f1.4.5.....bayonet......but I am unsure if this will work? How can I tell which adaptor it would need?
There is no adapter. The lens is or isn't made for K-mount, and without seeing the mount, there is not going to be a way to tell.

There seems to be a number of 80-205mm manaul focus lenses with K-mounts on Ebay, Pentax 80-205mm. Why not just buy one that is described as K-mount?

Thank you
Russell
12-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha cause I have no idea what I should be looking for!
So the k mount just fits straight on with no need for an adaptor?
maybe I am just looking too much?
cheers
Jan
12-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are looking at old manual stuff, how about one of these:
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 80-200mm F4.5
I don't know where you are from but here in UK there is boatloads of these on sale now in shops with good reputation and good shipping services.

BR
Peter

12-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Haha cause I have no idea what I should be looking for!
So the k mount just fits straight on with no need for an adaptor?
K-mount will mean no adapter. You might want to take a look at Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page. It probably has the best information on the K-mount.

These pages are really useful if you want to condense your reading.
Manual-focus mount-variations: K, KA, KA2
Auto-focus mount-variations: KF, KAF, KAF2, "crippled" KAF, "crippled" KAF2

The Wikipedia Pentax K mount Page will provide information about the lens mounts that preceded the K-mount as well as a slimmed down version of the information found at Bojidar's site.

Thank you
Russell
12-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am in Australia.............
I read those Russell but had trouble when I looked at the various cameras/lenses there were out there! Especially when the seller had no idea as well!
There seems to be a quantity of older cameras in Oz with better lenses on them for little money but there doesnt seem to be any way of telling what goes with what..........
eg.....50mm XR Rikenon f/2.0, f/16: "K" type bayonet mount on a ricoh camera.........not that i need a 50mm...... I mean if you found a really nifty cannon ( or something else ) lense could you make that work with an adaptor? of what sort? Is there a list or something?
cheers
Jan

edited to add..........or a tamron for nikon? or something?

Last edited by janstew; 12-26-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: cause I am trying to get my head around this!
12-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Well your need for low light and a low price usually do not go together very well, as low light needs is usually accompanied by a high price. To keep price in check probably a f4 lens would be doable or something along those lines.

I would do google searches for ....
  • tokina lens pentax
  • sigma lens pentax
  • tamron lens pentax
... and see what you find.

Pentax tokina, great deals on Cameras Photo, Pentax on eBay!

200 - 300mm lenses at f2.8 require an arm and a leg, along with your first born.
12-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
what makes you think that lens would be better than the kit lens?

At least buy lenses with A (auto) settings on aperture imo.
You should probably read the lens review data base on this forum, see which ones you might want.

Id stick with F, FA, DFA and DA lenses so you get auto focus too.

12-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion would be an SMC A 70-210mm f/4
12-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

50mm XR Rikenon f/2.0, f/16: "K" type bayonet mount on a ricoh camera
The only set of lenses you need to be wary of is the Ricoh mount. The Ricoh mount has an extra pin that when placed on a Pentax AF camera will get stuck in the AF screw, locking it to the camera. Getting a Ricoh version K-mount off after that is extremely difficult and requires some luck.

Pentax Digital
QuoteQuote:
  1. P/KA-R or R-P/K or any other variant of this name (do not confuse with Konica Auto Reflex mount, K-Ar! (thanks Bigdawg, for clearing this up)): this mount is similar to the KA mount Pentax made, but (!!!), it is not fully compatible! Some versions are, some are not.
    • First off, some PK/AR lenses have a small golden pin on the mount, which is not supposed to be there. This pin will get stuck in the AF-contact when you mount it on a DSLR! So this type is not compatible with Pentax DSLRs.
    • Sometimes the extra contact is not a pin, but a small ball. I’ve been told that this type does not get stuck on the camera. I had a Tokina SZ-X lens in this mount, and it worked like a KA lens. So this type is compatible.
    • Another frequent problem with Ricoh mount lenses, especially the ones from third party manufacturers like Vivitar and Sears, is that the flange protecting the aperture lever is too large. This way you cannot turn the lens into position when trying to mount it on the camera.

Thank you
Russell
12-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thankyou Russell! That gives me quite a bit of info on what to look for!
I dont necessarily think THAT lense would be any better than the sigma kit one but something will be! I dont need auto for what I do , never had much in the way of auto for many years and can live without it.............in order to have better glass.
I realize low light and faster lenses = more $ thats why I am looking at the secondary market.......ya never know I may be lucky!
Dont think I will go as far as trading the first born but anyone want a secondhand hubby?
cheers
Jan
12-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
My suggestion would be an SMC A 70-210mm f/4

This was the first lens I thought of. Excellent optical performance and more commonly found then most lenses for the K mount, so usually available on the used market for under $100. The IQ is good enough to stand up to a TC, so a good 1.4x makes it 98-357 f5.6.

There are few lenses that are a better bang for the buck IMO.

Scott
12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
This was the first lens I thought of. Excellent optical performance and more commonly found then most lenses for the K mount, so usually available on the used market for under $100. The IQ is good enough to stand up to a TC, so a good 1.4x makes it 98-357 f5.6.

There are few lenses that are a better bang for the buck IMO.

Scott
I'm glad to have your second on the A70-210mm, Scott. I think your assessment is on the mark with the possible exception of price: although I haven't used it much since I acquired my Sigma, I wouldn't part with mine for <$100 ;~)
12-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I mean if you found a really nifty cannon ( or something else ) lense could you make that work with an adaptor?
Short answer no. Long answer there are older Tamron lenses with swappable mounts. These are usually described as Adaptall or Adaptall2 lenses. If you buy one of these lenses, be sure you are getting the Pentax adapter with the lens as buying the adapter alone can be more expensive as just buying the lens, even if it comes with an adapter for another mount.

There is a Nikon to Pentax adapter on ebay. This adapter has a correcting glass in it that is said to eat at least one stop of light. Between losing the speed and introducing more distortion, there probably isn't much gain in this approach.

Thank you
Russell
12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I mean if you found a really nifty cannon ( or something else ) lense could you make that work with an adaptor?
No. It's either made for Pentax (K-mount or M42) or its not. If not, don't bother with that one.