Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Macro Closeup Questions [w/ pics]

I see a lot of real close up shots of Bugs where you can actually see the hexagons, or whatever they are in, in its eyes. I don't think it's possible with just a, 1:1 mag ratio and you'd need an extension tubes for it, if so what mag ratio would be required for such a shot like these below

Thanks

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES

Last edited by joodiespost; 12-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.
12-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To do that, you're going to need at least 50mm of extension on a 50mm macro lens. There are issues with that though. First the working distance is only a few Cms and that's tough with a live subject. But it would give you double the magnification. Another way would be a set of bellows and a super sharp lens like a Tak SMC 50mm f1.4.

A third method would be to take a longer lens like a 200mm and reverse a 50mm on the front. that will give you a bit of working distance and around 3-4 x life size.

But looking at your samples above, why bother? These are excellent macros and far more interesting to see the entire head than just the fine detail of the eye. Love the shots above. The spider is excellent!!
12-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

But looking at your samples above, why bother? These are excellent macros and far more interesting to see the entire head than just the fine detail of the eye. Love the shots above. The spider is excellent!!

I don't think he took the shots :-)
12-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a few I have taken with my smc 50mm f/1.4 and some vivitar auto extension tubes.

12-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great shots ^^

So are you guys saying we'll need at least a 2:1 mag ratio for those kind of bug eye shots?
12-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
I see a lot of real close up shots of Bugs where you can actually see the hexagons, or whatever they are in, in its eyes. I don't think it's possible with just a, 1:1 mag ratio and you'd need an extension tubes for it, if so what mag ratio would be required for such a shot like these below

Thanks
EDIT: d'oh...image removed...ended up making the same gaff as the OP...whoopise!!
either post a that shot with EXIF in tact or stop stealing images...that's my shot from a bit over a year ago...hehehe...just TEASING...it looks just like some shots I took with the Sigma 180mm macro...too funny!

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-26-2009 at 11:48 AM.
12-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
either post a that shot with EXIF in tact or stop stealing images...that's my shot from a bit over a year ago...
LOL suuuuure...

BTW I don't want to steal images and I did never did. If you haven't noticed there is a link below the picture for the source. And read the damn OP, i'm asking questions in regards to how to get a shot like that, not "I shot a picture like this" Sheeesh...
12-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

first I was teasing but second if it's not your shot then you cannot post it...period.

12-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
first I was teasing but second if it's not your shot then you cannot post it...period.
oh, thanks for the info ^^ can I link it?

take off the eye picture in your post
12-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

no swaet, lots of folks do the same thing w/o thinking twice. It's more about bandwidth than anything...btw here is the shot I took, not edited but you will get the idea...I evenutally phart'd with Macro Fractalius it into the send image:

Phart'd version:

Click here to see the evolution of the shot

anyway to help with your question...my eye shots were self done holding the lense in front of my eye...just try that one sometime with a 3lb Simga 180mm macro!! hahaha!! But the trick for getting the lense aligned is to simply look into the lense for the refelection of your eye as well as stare straight into the center of the lense....and yup, the flash will blind ya for a while!! hehehehe....
12-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

and yeah, linking is fine...of course you can always email the owner of the shot for permission to post with a link & credit but what a hassle that can be and often these are pros who earn a living with their shots and well, I can't blame them.
12-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
those are some awesome shots! If you can video record your eyes contracting and expanding at that magnification that would be pretty awesome as well. Wait, maybe i should give that a shot ^^
12-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

thanks...basically I was saving what I felt was a missed shot for a macro challenge on another board...I won the thing...thought that was funny has heck too!!

Getting video of the contraction of the pupils/iris of the eye would be fun!! good luck and have patience...look forward to seeing any result ya get!