Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

What's the difference

Hello all. I am brand new the DSLR world. Took these yesterday with my new K-x. Why would there be such a difference between these shots.

I am assuming that because they were taken so quickly one after the other, I didn't give the camera enough time to do something it wanted to do.

Just looking for a general answer. I'm not stressing as I know I have a ton to learn.

I received Aperture as a Xmas present. I am going to play around with it trying to get the images to match. Any suggestions on what needs to be adjusted.

I am excited to jump in and get started in this new (to me) world.

Thanks for any info.

Don

Last edited by Dxn2; 12-27-2009 at 04:41 PM.
12-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi there

It looks like a white balance problem of some sort as the exposures do not seem to be a million miles apart. If you were shooting to RAW then it should be fairly easily sorted but JPEG files will be a challange. Also worth looking at your EXIF data to see what the camera settings were, in fact it's not really fair to say too much more until that information is available to us.

Justin.
12-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think that its white balance. If you look closely at the two images, they are framed slightly different - at the top and on the right side. There is a tad bit of additional window, which will pull in additional light, apparently enough to make a difference in the white balance. Also, I suspect that there might be a difference in the aperture used between the two shots.

... but I think that is why there is a large difference between the two.

you can use software to reset the white balance of the second shot to probably look like the first. Check the software that came with the camera. That should provide you with the functionality.
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will play around with the white balance. That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. There seems to be so many things that can be adjusted. I just needed a push int he right direction.

Thanks again.

12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that picture one was taken with the flash charged up, and #2 was taken before the flash had time to recharge. It's a possibility at least.
12-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

One curiosity. You say the Kx is new, and I know that cameras usually have a few shots on them when bought but the first picture you have posted is called IMGP0898. Nearly 1000 pictures?
12-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
One curiosity. You say the Kx is new, and I know that cameras usually have a few shots on them when bought but the first picture you have posted is called IMGP0898. Nearly 1000 pictures?
New as in a couple of weeks. Been doing a lot of shooting and deleting.