Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

green button and P mode on k-x

I have read much here that some folks like to shoot in P mode. Not sure of its advantages, I been playing around with it. I normally have green button set to do digital preview since I have been playing with m42 lenses in M mode, the preview allows a test shot shown histograms with out saving the shot. But, when in P mode and back on "A" lens, The dial does nothing. If I set the green button back to "green button", the dial now will change Av/Tv combo and pressing the green button will reset it.

Is there reason that is the case? I can reset the setting by the dial my self if need be. But, having to reset green button when changing lens is a hassle.

Is there a way to make the dial work regardless of green button in P mode?

thanks

12-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button returns the exposure to the metered value, as you have discovered. I have never set the green button to anything but that. Using manual lenses, it will give you the camera's approximation of what the exposure should be as a starting point. I have never really got the sense of the digital preview. I just take the image and look at it as recorded. With modern SD/SDHC cards, it is highly unlikely that the extra space taken is going to run me out of card space.
12-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Actually, using the digital preview with m42 lenses does make sense, as the original OP indicated this is what he was doing.

Ok, just had to delete a whole other paragraph! I can understand why you would want the digital preview for m42 lenses, but I think the programmability/functionality you are looking for is simply something you'd need to pay for (i.e. a k20 or k7) - despite all it DOES do, the K-x is still an entry level model afterall! That said, it would be nice to have the green mode settings changeable based on your chosen shooting mode. Wow, I have to say after setting the green button to something other than 'green button' functionality, losing the rear dial completely in P mode certainly sucks; I couldnt see changing that to anything from green button functionality my self (it is kind of an ingrained feature after using Pentax for awhile!)
12-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
@pxpaulx: Hey, you list both k20 and kx in your sig. I was just wondering if you can give me a quick run down of the 2 specifically IQ under 1000 (I very ver rarely go over that). I wish I had done more research before the buying the k-x. As the VF really sucks for MF. I know there are operational differences. I don't mind too much the way k-x is set up. But, given the closeness of the price between k20d and k-x, I kinda wish I had gone k20d had I known the pentax line better. I am not saying it will get me better pics. Perhaps it may make my life easier.

thanks

12-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also to note- When in P mode and with the Green Button set to Green Button mode:
The camera allows you to choose between TV/AV mode, and the LCD display shows TV-Hyper or AV-Hyper respectively after adjusting the camera with the rear dial from P mode.
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As for "advantages" of P mode, I guess that depends on what mode you are comparing to, and what you conside an advantage. It's advantage over green mode is that it allows you to override settings. It's advantage over Av mode is that it always picks a "reasonable" aperture if you forget to; similarly with Tv mode and shutter speed, and the other automatic modes.