Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Framing shots in the camera for print? Newbie...

Just getting into printing some of my photo's this Christmas season. Fun for gifts...

In any case, I have discovered that print sizes (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc) don't match the sensor! Yes, I guess I should have known this, but in this day of digital, I never really noticed...

So I'm wondering how you go about framing your shot in the camera, when you will likely have to crop it - sometimes quite a bit - to fit a print.

Do you overshoot? In other words, frame more than you intend to 'keep' at all time so that you can crop down to the actual shot you have in mind?

Thanks,

Ken

12-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, in most of Europe, the standard sizes offered actually DO fit the sensor; it's only the US that seems to adhere to those off-sizes.

More to the point, my style is to go in for tight shots, and most of the time I do not deviate from that at all, for any reason. Then I make sure to print at sizes that don't require cropping (6x9, 8x12, 12x18, etc). While more cookie-cutter establishments like Wal-Mart or CostCo don't seem to stock frames in this size, my locally-owned photo store does, so they get my business when I need to buy a ready-made frame.

There are two major exceptions I can think of from this rule of mine. The first is if I think the shot would benefit from a funky size, like square or 16:9. The photo printer I use (mpix.com) prints those sizes, and square frames in particular are rather easy to find. The second rule is weddings. In that case I try to give myself as much leeway as possible.

I hope this helps!
12-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Keitha on that one.
I also frame to minimise the need to crop in PP.
I may crop for composition or reducing redundant space, but generally stick to the 3:2 format unless I'm going for a specific size variation, and I judge that based on the subject I'm shooting.

Hope that helps, Ken.
12-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i also stick with the 3:2 or 4:6, same thing. It just looks right

12-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not unless you have 100% viewfinder view then the photo you are taking, even if you frame, is already going to include more than what you framed.
You will usually get more on the lest side of the photo than any other area.
The viewfinders on the cameras other than the K7 is less than 100% view, so you actually will get more than what you are actually framing for.
The Nikon film series F1, F2, F3, F4 have all 100% viewfinder framing that is why before, I had to overframe since when the photo actually is developed, my 100% framing was already cropped more than I have wanted to.
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The OP hasn't indicated what format of camera he has. It's entirely possible that there just isn't a full frame print format offered for what he is using.
One day I decided to make a full frame P&S print. IIRC, it worked out to a 4x5.3 inch print.
Not only did it not sell, but the company made me take it down.

The 3:2 print format is fairly well embedded in the lab industry, the 4:3 format isn't.
Interestingly, the old 110 film format was very close to 4:3 aspect with, if memory serves, a 4x5.25 inch print size.
Frame sizes haven't caught up here, for some reason standard frame and canned mat sizes are still mostly built around the 4:5 aspect, with 5x7 and 11x14 ( both close to 3:4) thrown in for giggles.
The industry somehow has never bothered to cater frame or mat sizes to the vast majority of it's customers, and has pretty much gotten away with it.
12-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use the next size up frame, and a matte to fit the image as needed...
12-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

you can try what I do. I goto photoshop and use the crop tool. Set the ratio to 4 by 6 or whatever you want. It will keep that ratio however you crop it. ^^

Last edited by joodiespost; 12-31-2009 at 06:13 PM.