Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I never had a problem with the AA batteries. I mainly used the CR-V3 and had great luck with them - I would say about 600 shots (no flash). I have never changed batteries that often. The last two sets were the Energizer eČ Photo Lithium batteries.

Energizer e2 Photo L91 Camera battery - AA - Li 2900 mAh

I ran out of batteries in San Diego, drove past a drug store, stopped, ran across these and have used them ever since. That said, I do not have a problem with rechargeables either. The rechargeable battery in my K20 is wonderful - and I need to pick up another - before I forget again.

Now after saying all of that, I do remember the batteries that came with the camera fresh out of the box were nothing special and I think I got 20 pictures out of them.

I have a 25 year old A50/1.7 and a 40 year old M42 55/1.8 Super Tak on my old Spotmatic II that I bought in 1970 while in the Navy. Each are still going strong. Lenses out last bodies. Your lenses are not the most optically perfect ones ever made, but they will provide service for you for as long as you use them.

There is absolutely no reason to go broke in photography today. There is no film and if you run out of disk space - delete some pictures that should have been deleted before they were stored on the drive. There will always be a new gadget out. Every body will flock to them. The only reason why I did not by an older model when I started back into photography again, was SR or image stabilization had just been introduced with the K100 and that meant a lot to me.

As I said last May after a number of years of K100 use, I started thinking about a body upgrade. The K20 was just dropped in price to under $700 (with a 3 year warranty) because of the K7 introduction - and it was a target of opportunity that I felt would not come by again for about another 12 to 18 months. So, in my mind buying "old" technology is just fine.

12-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mychen Quote
Did the fact that K100D runs on AA batteries become a nuisance for you at all?
If you browse these forums, you'll see recurring debate on this topic. But I'm among those who consider anything *other* than AA a nuisance - it means I need a special charger, it means I will probably have difficulty replacing the battery in a few years, etc. The ability to use AA is one of the reasons I chose pentax in the first place.

QuoteQuote:
Given what they were when used on the original film body (MZ-7), they were decent though certainly not the fastest lenses out there. Is it reasonable to expect similar results when I transition to a digital body? Or would this transition quickly lead me to replacing both of the lenses I had previously?
I think the crop factor will leads you to become frustrated with the 28-80, but like the telephoto zoom that much more.

QuoteQuote:
(FYI: References for battery costs are based on what I found via a quick search on Amazon.com)
Do check out any of the zillions of other threads on batteries before spendng (I'd say wasting) money on AA's other than the "hybrid" low self-discharge / pre-charged types like Eneloop.