Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #1

Pentax SLR lens - Good for Pentax D-SLR?

Hi, everyone:

First post!!!

I came home for the Christmas holidays at my parents' house and dug through some old boxes to find an old Pentax SLR (film) in pristine condition - it is the MZ-7 along with two (2) lenses:

-- SMC Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm (I presume this was the stock lens that had came with the MZ-7 initially); and

-- SMC Pentax-FA 1:4.5-5.6 80-320mm

I was wondering whether it would be possible to use these two lenses on a Pentax DSLR body, such as the K200D?

Would appreciate your expertise. Thanks, y'all.

mychen

12-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #2

You can use them both, no sweat. Consult this chart for the details:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
12-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your current setup mychen.
It should work as you expected it to, but bear in mind the digital crop factor.
12-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ash, when you say "crop factor" it's in reference to the DSLR's sensor being less than the full frame equivalent, which effectively makes the focal length "longer" than what's otherwise printed on the lens itself?

12-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

That's right.
Effective, but not absolute, increase in focal length.
12-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
chuck the body on ebay, maybe get 30 bucks

The FA lenses are auto focus and auto aperture on new Pentax cameras and will work perfectly. Good find!
12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can find their reviews and value in the lens review section of the forum too.

12-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of your very prompt and super helpful information - y'all are too kind, and I do appreciate it.

I formally decided to go forward with the digital transition, so I was thinking about getting a less pricey d-SLR body:

-- K200D (Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Electronics)

-- K100D (Amazon.com: Pentax K110D 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only): Electronics)

To give you some context, I've shot film for almost ten years, but digital is still very new to me. I've had a few opportunities to "mess around" borrowing gear from Nikon and Canon friends. Never had tried Pentax's digital line.

I shoot cityscape, portraits, "lifestyle" photography, and a lot of family and friends everyday life sort of stuff.

My budget: if these two lenses will work, I have every intention to spend less than $400, if possible, on getting a Pentax d-SLR body. But if y'all are recommending that I go for a new setup completely, well, I'll need to check "the boss" and try to petition for spending increment...

Question is: do you think the two lenses I have here are of decent quality that makes justifying the cost of a Pentax d-SLR body a "no brainer" - ?

My alternative option would be to go with something like a Canon XS or XSi setup, and I might be able to borrow lenses from folks around me...

Please help! Thank you once again!

mychen

EDIT: I convinced the boss to go for:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-+Factory-Refurbished+6.1-Megapixel+Digit...=1218089165723

Thoughts?

Last edited by mychen; 12-28-2009 at 11:38 PM.
12-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #10

$260?! That's an awesome price!

The lenses you have will work just fine. My vote is to go for it. The only downside is that autofocus on the K10D isn't quick compared to the Canikons (or the new pentax bodies), but I imagine you'll find it perfectly adequate, coming from a film SLR
12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hi, all:

Here's an update on my Pentax story -

I've now come to trying to decide between two d-SLR bodies: K100D vs. K10D.

The 100D body costs $270.

The 10D body costs $380.

What would you all suggest for me to get, especially considering the two lenses I now have available?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

mychen
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I started out with the K100D almost 5 years ago. Last May I upgraded to the K20D (the K10's replacement). Given your 10 years of film experience, you may enjoy the K10 a bit better and possibly longer. It has all the semi professional bells and whistles - 2 wheels to adjust the aperture and shutter (the K100 has just one that is multiplexed) etc. The 10MP might do you better than the 6MP (K100).

I kept my K100, I like it a lot, as its a very small, light weight simple straight forward camera. Is the K10 worth the additional $110, I think so. There are a few items with it, that others can do a better job explaining, however all in all - I think that its considered a workhorse here on the board.

If you go with the K100, might I suggest the K100D Super - same as the K100 however it make use of the SDM lenses. That may make a difference in the future.

Also, I see that you were thinking of the K200 earlier. The K200 essentially has the K10 internals packed into the K100 body with essentially the same control features as the K100.

12-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, interested_observer. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Did the fact that K100D runs on AA batteries become a nuisance for you at all? I was trying to do a little math -- so the 10D is $380.

100D ($270) + 4 rechargeable batteries & charger ($17-$41) = $287-$311.

So I'd be paying a premium between $69-$93 to enjoy the added features and weatherproof-ness offered by the 10D.

Do you think my lenses have some "staying power" - ?

-- SMC Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm (I presume this was the stock lens that had came with the MZ-7 initially); and

-- SMC Pentax-FA 1:4.5-5.6 80-320mm

Given what they were when used on the original film body (MZ-7), they were decent though certainly not the fastest lenses out there. Is it reasonable to expect similar results when I transition to a digital body? Or would this transition quickly lead me to replacing both of the lenses I had previously?

I've often thought that $$$ should be invested in lenses rather the body, as technology updates lend themselves to improvements in processing and reductions in prices (just as it is with most computers, gadgets, etc.).

So given a tight budget, is it more prudent to elect for the 100D or the 10D?

(FYI: References for battery costs are based on what I found via a quick search on Amazon.com)
$17: Amazon.com: Sony Power Battery Charger with 4 AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries: Camera & Photo
$41: Amazon.com: Canon CBK4-300 Rechargeable Battery and Charger Kit for PowerShot Cameras: Camera & Photo
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #14

AA Batteries

I personally consider having a camera run on AAs to be a plus. My old *ist DS uses AAs, and I feed it NiMh rechargables. I've developed the capability to recharge these on the road, which is a great help - just plug the charger into an inverter and the inverter into 12V - presto, charged batteries. And if I need batteries in a hurry, a stop at a 7-11 for alkalines fills the bill. The only two caveats here are the charger and the batteries.
All chargers are not equal. My current charger (Sony BCG-34HRMF) takes 1-4 AAs, and is like 4 individual chargers. A digital display shows the state of charge on each battery, and will identify bad batteries. Charges in about 3 or 4 hours. My previous charger only took 2 batteries, took 13 hours to charge, and wouldn't identify bad cells.
All batteries are not equal. Biggest problem with NiMh batteries (IMHO) is in the idle self discharge. The Sony batteries (2700mAh) that came with the charger are terrible. My good ones are from Powerex (1500 mAh) and Kodak (1700 mAh). I've also got a few from Radio Shack which aren't bad.
Nothing against Lithium batteries. Much lighter than the alternatives, but relatively expensive. I use them in my RC aircraft, but I'm not asking my camera to fly!
Any one still use NiCd batteries? I think they got a bad rap from the cheap chargers that boiled them dry. NiCd technology may be older, but it still has a lot to offer.
12-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K10 had intermittent focusing issues so I never liked it much. On the other hand, I love having the controls on the camera body instead of in menus. But the 6 mp sensor has always given me great pictures, and the K100 is conveniently sized for me. I still own my K100 along with a K20 and K-7 and don't plan on selling any of them.

I prefer the proprietary battery, but don't mind rechargeable AAs. The hybrid types hold their charge longer when sitting around. They don't last forever, and you need several sets, but they aren't all that expensive. They just take more care and thought than the proprietary batteries.