Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
still having trouble with this lens

pardon the BB pics. its all i had.

yes, i double checked the batteries and the "on "button is selected at the front of the lens.
i can take a picture but the auto focus will not work.

what mode should i be shooting with? in my original thread, Ash suggested manual. again, i can take the exposure, but have no control of the focus. is this the only mode it will work in? i'm having no luck with any setting.

i'm actually thinking that there may be some type of power button that i'm missing or maybe i'm supposed to be using specific batteries. although i can't imagine lithium ion being around in 1985.

its worth noting that aperture number does not show on the view finder. it just shows "F--". I'm assuming though that this is because of the lens. for this application i would need to manually set the aperture on the ring correct?

any trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. if for some reason the lens is broken, who would i send it too for work? its in great shape so i'm assuming its worth the salvage.

12-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's an autofocus lens that's supposed to work on fully manual bodies, right?

So the focus mode should be in MF? Just a wild guess. The best way to check is to mount it on an old manual PK mount body. I guess there is the possibility that the electric contacts of the new DSLR body is interefering?
12-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning, I read your post and over a cup of morning coffee, I thought I would see what I could find. I think that most of us here over time have seen pictures of Pentax's first autofocus lens - the one with the funny bump out to the side, but never used one. So it appears that you may be one of the first. There has been some suggestion (in the posts below) that the main value it has (on cameras other than the one it was designed to mount on) is the value to collectors in a museum. This may be a bit harsh, in that apparently the lens itself is very good, fast and sharp. The problem is the manual autofocusing in that off its camera body that it was designed for the manual focusing is less than a quarter turn, and therefore very difficult. Apparently, manual autofocusing was not the intention, so probably little attention was paid to this "feature".

The other thing is the AF designation since just about everyone uses it for the standard autofocus, so its not a unique tag and a lot matches it. Also, it appears that it is not a common lens by any means. In that it was the first, and the first usually suffers from some sort of "difficulties", that appears to be the case here. It was a design on the path to what we have today.

Here is a Pentax lens mount comparability chart
Pentax Manuals - camera and lens
Websites with lens information
Information on the camera and lens mounting
I really do not know if this will answer your questions. I would read both the Pentax manuals on the ME F camera and the manual on the lens to see if you can glean something from them. I did a quick scan of them, and they both seemed to offer some nuggets of information for you.

The lens was designed to mate with the ME F camera that had some sort of power drive connection - the forerunner of today's screw drive and SDM drive interface. This early connection was only on that one camera body from what I can tell.

hope that helps...
12-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That is NOT an autofocus lens in the sense that we know it these days.
That lens was designed to work with the ME-F camera body, and would autofocus with that camera, and that camera only.
It will not autofocus with any camera body other than the ME-F.

12-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That is NOT an autofocus lens in the sense that we know it these days.
That lens was designed to work with the ME-F camera body, and would autofocus with that camera, and that camera only.
It will not autofocus with any camera body other than the ME-F.
Wheatfield has it right. The connections are not there on any body other than the ME-F.