Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Go Heavy or Go lite in travel

I have just made a substantial investment in gear over the last year. I am pretty new to the DSLR market. I am going on my first trip with my DSLR to another country. Costa Rica - 8 days and 7 nights. My question for many people here. Would you go heavy or go lite on a foreign trip? I am mostly going site seeing with brother and sister.

I have the option of going heavy with the K7, DA* 18-55, DA* 50-135, battery grip, AF-360 or
go lite with K7, DA 21, DA 40, DA 70, AF-200. Not sure if to go minimalist or go with the waterproof guys.

I will be traveling to the forest, zip wire, beaches, pools, towns.

Some of the things is that when you go with the DA* you attract a lot of attention, it is waterproof and you just get a lot of ranges. It is heavy weight wise to get around but may come in handy in the forest.

The pancake lens and small flash option means just going lite, no water proof lenses but I can just keep them in the waterproof bag during those occasions. I just don't need to carry much.

What would you do? Looking for people with experience traveling a lot with cameras. How would you go in this scenario between the two options?

12-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently traveled, I decided to travel heavy. My trip was 16 weeks, and it was tough carrying it everywhere, but it was brilliant to have all my gear, to never be without something. Seeing as you have a relatively short trip, I'd go with a heavy trip.
12-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as you're carrying the FLs that you know you will be using, you should be fine whichever way you go. You can make do with the conditions you shoot in but not if you don't have enough reach or can't get the shot wide enough.
12-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

I say go light/ish -

The K7 + DA21 around your neck, then have the 50-135mm in a bag in case you need to go telephoto.

12-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If your purpose is to shoot the trip and not miss anything, I would take it all
If your primary purpose is to enjoy yourself and experience a new place and people and take some photos too, I'd take a body and the primes and skip the rest.
I travel internationally for work and part of my job is daily documentation including photos. I travel heavy because I have to, but when I explore the places I visit on my own I travel very light.

hth and enjoy your trip
12-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Damn Brit

How much equipment you take isn't really about Style or Technique.
Moved to Beginners Q&A
12-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd say light, but in a different sense than weight. In a sense that allows to act fast and simple. Since your going with your brother and sis, i assume this is not a group trip actually. Still, they may not be eager to fall behind schedule while you pick the perfect lens, or fiddle with bunch of equipment.

Try to keep it minimal, well organized and functional.
I'd go with 18-55, 50-135 or 70 and a lightweight tripod. An extra battery, but not grip (unless it is essential to your shooting style and makes for less fiddling with camera).
12-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The grip adds weight, balance, a second battery, Remote F and a spare card. All are attached to the camera with the grip. The grip would be glued to the bottom of my K10d if I did not need to take it off to change the battery in the body.

12-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all.

Decided to take it all. I will just take less with me when I leave the hotel and plan based on what the activities are for that day.
12-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #10

if you are planning to leave equipment behind in your hotel room, make sure you have insurance and documentation of the value of your items.
01-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Didn't realise travelling light was an option, that's where I've been going wrong all these years.
01-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Didn't realise travelling light was an option, that's where I've been going wrong all these years.
I guess that we agree on the "take everything" philosophy of photo gear. In 1990, I took my wife on a 25th wedding anniversary cruise to Alaska. I said to myself "No way I'll need the 400 - aw heck, I'll take it anyway." That's why I have this interesting shot of a humpback whale 3/4 out of the water. You never know what you will need, and when you are on a ship calling whales through the sonar heads, a normal lens just ain't going to cut the mustard.
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jfalcon7 Quote
I have just made a substantial investment in gear over the last year. I am pretty new to the DSLR market. I am going on my first trip with my DSLR to another country. Costa Rica - 8 days and 7 nights. My question for many people here. Would you go heavy or go lite on a foreign trip? I am mostly going site seeing with brother and sister.

I have the option of going heavy with the K7, DA* 18-55, DA* 50-135, battery grip, AF-360 or
go lite with K7, DA 21, DA 40, DA 70, AF-200. Not sure if to go minimalist or go with the waterproof guys.

I will be traveling to the forest, zip wire, beaches, pools, towns.

Some of the things is that when you go with the DA* you attract a lot of attention, it is waterproof and you just get a lot of ranges. It is heavy weight wise to get around but may come in handy in the forest.

The pancake lens and small flash option means just going lite, no water proof lenses but I can just keep them in the waterproof bag during those occasions. I just don't need to carry much.

What would you do? Looking for people with experience traveling a lot with cameras. How would you go in this scenario between the two options?
Ow, I how recognize this dilemma….

I agree with Canada_rockies, there is too much to miss over there.
Costa Rica has lots of small wildlife, I’d take at least the lens with the best macro / closeup capability with me.

Just for this situation I bought a 55-300mm next to my DA* 60-250mm. Weight and size.

I’d take the 18-55mm, the AF200 and the AF-360. And (!) get from ebay: a Raynox close-up lens or extension rings, and a 1.5x Teleconverter, for macro and more tele options.
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Light; 16-50/2.8 +50-135/2.8, where's the 16-50?
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you like primes then go for light, otherwise if you like zooms then go for heavy. Otherwise you can mix-and-match to optimize your potential need, such as DA* 16-50 + DA 70 LTD + DFA 100, or DA 21 LTD + 40 LTD + DA* 50-135. Primes typically have better IQ over zooms but the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 are exceptional zooms that can sometimes be compared. Also if you need weather-sealing, you would want to go with the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. Otherwise the Limited primes set-up will be a lot lighter to work with.