Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Stupid 120 film developing question - paper back removal.

How and at what phase of developing you get rid of the paper back covering the 120 format film.
Is it hard to remove, do you peel it off while putting on reel, before or develop with it?
Those few on-line articles I've red about film development doesn't mention this question at all.

12-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, the paper will just curl up and fall off as you load the film in the reel and when you get to the end peel the little piece of tape off the film. you might want to get a cheap roll just to practice.
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. You mean, when i cut of the leader of film, the paper will detach at that place, or i still have to peel of a bit of end so that only film goes into the reel.

Well there is already a roll of cheapest Lucky film i could find on ebay in my probably light leaking box camera . Just 6 more shots , still would not like to spoil it completely, if there are any remains of what can be called an image.
12-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the paper is just rolled up with the film and comes right off. It is harder to load than 35mm because it is so wide, especially with stainless reels, though I preferred them.

12-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
the paper is just rolled up with the film and comes right off. It is harder to load than 35mm because it is so wide, especially with stainless reels, though I preferred them.
Yes, the paper is only attached to the film at the end, with tape.
12-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The film and backing just fall apart, they are not stuck together at all. There are many tales of people loading the paper on to the reel instead of the film but check for the small piece of 'masking' tape, that should be on the end of the film and so on the reel (I tend to leave it there for the duration of the process). The only cuts you need make are a couple of snips to angle off the corners of the leading end of the film and this really is best practised on a film in the light. If you are using a changing bag you will find it helpful to try the operation in a large clear polythene bag first so you can see what you are doing.

As Borno suggests the cost of buying a film to practice on is well worth it.

Justin
12-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

... and as you proceed, remember that the only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask and the ones that you ask three or more times.
12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

How I successfully loaded several thousand rolls of 120 film onto steel reels:

Crack the tape and unroll the paper backing until you get to the film. At that point, roll up the film instead, and let the paper fall away.
When you get to the tape, remove the film off the paper backing by tearing the tape seam.
Insert the tape end into the clip on the reel. This keeps it safely out of the way by mechanically holding it to the film, and saves having to use a pair of scissors in the dark.
I eventually started clipping the corners of the film to make it easier to insert into the clip, and to make it less prone to buckling (that's what causes those little half moons).
After I started using a Jobo, I started cutting the film off the tape rather than tearing the tape.

12-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yep. The only thing is, when you get to the tape, don't remove it too *quickly.* (static electricity sometimes gets involved)
12-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I do it a little differently... I unroll the paper backing until I feel the film then cut the paper backing off leaving a little bit (about an inch) of the film uncovered, but the rest still proctected by the paper. I can then hold the film so that it doesn't unwind while I poke it into the film gate on the reel (plastic reels in my case). Once happy it's in the reel correctly, let the film and paper go and ratchet the film into the reel. I tend to peel the tape off the paper backing (comes away easier) and fold over so it sticks to the film. If you remove it from the film you have to be careful you don't bend your film and cause kinks in the emulsion (usualy cresent shaped marks). With some films the tape comes off easy, others very difficult.
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
JFN
Veteran Member

I just have to make an official statement, tonight I spent first 30 minutes in darkness, gave up, and then spent 20 minutes in daylight, apparently trying to roll the thin protective paper onto the spiral...

But after having actually rolled almost the entire paper onto the roll, discovering that the other thing falling off, turns out to be the actual film, in the end loading the film to the plastic paterson rolls was REALLY simple...

As Alanis sings: "You live, you learn"...