Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens help please

No doubt this question has been asked a million times so i apologize. I have also looked through the lens reviews but i am struggling to find one fit for me.
Im looking for a lens that i can take pictures of birds, ducks.. etc wildlife pretty much i have a 'stock' 18-50mm lens. came with the camera and its fantastic, to me it is anyways. iv been able to do a lot of fun stuff with it. link below will show u some of my stuff
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/84793-nature-newbi-shots.html#post859959

so if anyone can list a few or point me in the right direction to go, i dont really want to spend over $500 but might go to $600
I have a Pentax k200d
..think iv covered wat i want to say.. i know a lot of it is a matter of opinions but im sick of reading reviews and searching though google

thanks!

12-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

I was in a similar boat a while back and I purchased the 18-250. It has been a great walk-about lens for me. I don't have to swap lenses and worry about getting dust inside the camera, and I am shooting away while my friend is switching lenses back and forth trying to get the shots. Later, in order to really pull those birds, ducks, and wildlife in, you might want to get an even longer lens. I have heard really good things about the 300 mm prime lense.
12-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm no expert at this but I believe that if you want to take wildlife photography you should pretty much get a decent telephoto lens which will allow you to be further away from the subject you are taking a photo of. Otherwise it will start to run away when you approach. For aperture, I think it really depends on what type of depth of field you want to take.

As for a specific lens to use I have no idea which is best but I use a Sigma 70-300mm for my uses but I would consider the new Pentax 55-300 if you want to stay Pentax.
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best bang for the buck is the Tamron 70-300.;

12-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think that something in the 50-300 range would do very well. Almost 5 years ago, I did the 2 lens kit - well at that time there was no 2 lens kit, but picked up the 50-200. Wonderful lens, worked well, but felt the need to go out to 300, so when the 55-300 came out, I picked it up. It too has worked out very well and I am very happy with it.

As to Pentax, Tamron or Sigma - I have always gone with Pentax, but have see wonderful shots using both of the other. I can't really comment on comparing all 3 since I have only used one.

... for what its worth
12-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few things to consider:
1) Most real bird photographers look at 300mm as a minimum but this is not allways true for the recreational bird shooter. 200mm might do and teleconverters are allways an option.
2) You're not going to get a Top Quality long lens for $500 new.
3) If you don't need autofocus there are alot of high quality lenses on the used market cheap.
So here are a few choices.
AutoFocus
Tamron 70-200mm ld di af Real good lens but a little more than you wanted to spend.
Pentax FA 80-320mm A pretty nice consumer grade AF lens
Tamron 70-300 or 75-300 an OK consumer grade lens -you can buy em used on eBay for under $100 all day long.
Manual Focus
Tamron SP 300 /2.8 Pro Grade but a little more than you wanted to spend.Need a PKA adapter.
Pentax SMC A70-210 a real nice lens.
Tamron SP 60-300 or SP 70-210 Real nice lens but you'll need a PKA adaptall mount to go with it.
Tamron model 103A 80-210. My favorite cheap lens but again you'l need a PKA adapter

And if you are brave enough to go manual focus/ manual exposure the choices are countless but think about Super Takumars can't go wrong there.

Last edited by seacapt; 12-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.
12-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Following on from Ken's good summary, the Pentax DA 55-300 is not only good value but the best quality you can get in its class. Now, it still is a 'slow' lens, so you will need full sun/bright conditions to be able to shoot well with it, but it is worth its cost for sure.
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your time and your responses help me very much
im going to be looking for my first choice the Pentax DA 55-300 and second Pentax FA 80-320