Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Future of the Pentax DSLR

A friend wished to purchase a entry level DSLR. I suggested the K-X. He wished to "test drive" the camera. However, we find there are no dealers in the tiny hamlet of Fort Worth Texas.

He was wondering if he wanted to sink $1,000+ in brand which was woefully underrepresented in the mainstream retail market. Eg. Will low representation equate to lower sales which finally results in Pentax halting their production of their DSLR line, less lens options, etc.

While I know that Pentax has been around for decades, I also realize that competition in the camera market is fierce and if the company has few regular avenues to sell a product then that company may consider that product to be a lost cause.

Comments?

P.S.

12-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comments? I have a comment.

K-x lens kit is $550 @ Amazon, not $1000+

Your friend can test drive it to his heart's content, not take crappy shots inside a camera store where white balance is FUBAR anyway, but in the real world under real life situations and if he really decides he doesn't like it, he can turn around and resell it for $500 a week later.

So (a) I fail to see how that can be considered such a big risk––I would say the risk of someone finding out s/he doesn't like a system a week or a month after purchase, despite fully "testing" it in the store, is just as likely; and (b) I fail to see how it is necessarily in the best interest of Pentax to have these "regular avenues to sell a product" within everybody's driving distance to satisfy the minority of shoppers. In fact, it probably isn't, and that is why they're not there.

Precisely becauase Pentax is a minor player in the market, they have to be extra frugal and minimize unnecessary expense.
12-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you will find with Pentax users in this forum, there has been no ill effects on the Pentax gear we use due to poor representation in bricks and mortar shops.

Pentax does have a limited budget compared to the big guns, and an even lesser proportion of their cashflow is committed to marketing - end result is as you see it.

But your friend will enjoy the K-x no doubt.
12-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You'll be happy with whatever brand you decide to buy.

12-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

I see two options:

a) The more likely. Pentax will somewhat improve on its market share and stabilize at about 5-8%. This is enough to survive if they concentrate on a small portfolio (two to three cameras MAX).

b)Pentax goes down. A flood of lenses that have been sought after recently become available for those who stick with the system. Stellar FA lenses etc... included, for a now more affordable price.

What I find interesting is how quickly prices on lenses surge as soon as Pentax discontinues them (e.g. FA35/2, even though the DA35/2.8 exists as a "replacement"). That means there is a good sized market out there.

Canon lenses are a lot less back-compatible, so the risk with Canon is to have to buy new lenses when the company changes direction and goes to a new mount. No technology investment is ever 100% sure, but Hoya-Pentax has made a lot of good decisions in 2009, and seems to be expanding in that direction. (Multi-colored bodies and ease of use entrance model, lots of WR lenses added to the line-up for the pro who needs a rugged kit).
12-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I am sorry, but I seem to miss the question here. Looking in retrospect at Minolta makes me think that Pentax is not going to disappear just because. I cannot judge the condition of your retailers living in a rather different country, but looking at web sites of Adorama and B&H does not make me overly worried.

As for test driving - perhaps you can find someone at your vicinity and try cameras and lenses of various systems. Ultimately, there has to be a fit, regardless of what system/maker/etc is chosen at the end. And such a fit is purely individual.
12-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found that Fry's Electronics carry both the KX and the K7. If memory serves me right there are Fry's in the Dallas area - I know its on the other side of town .... er Hamlet.
12-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax seems to have made a conscious decision to de-emphasize brick and mortar store sales and concentrate on online/mailorder sales. They have not said publicly, exactly why they have done this. Perhaps it was the fact that they were not very well represented anyway. Perhaps they are betting that b & m stores are fading away and they want to go where the market is.

One simple fact does seem evident. Brick and mortar stores ARE fading. Here in Cleveland, there used to be a couple of national/regional chains and several locally owned camera stores. Now Ritz is gone (after their bankruptcy they only have three stores in Ohio), Van's is gone and most of the locals are gone, as well. Dodd's, a local chain with a half-dozen stores and a corner on the local professional market, is still around, but they've closed a couple of stores, as well.

The dedicated b & m camera store can't compete with the likes of B & H for the high-end cameras or the big-box stores for the low end, entry level.

Perhaps Pentax is right. When Ritz went bankrupt, the story was that they owed Nikon $26M. The rumor is that Nikon financed Ritz's founder/owner in his emergence from bankruptcy. If Ritz goes bust again, its going to have a huge negative impact on Nikon.

We'll know in a few years. If Pentax is still standing, and Ritz is not, then Pentax will have made the right bet. If its the other way around, then they bet on the wrong horse.

But then, what do I know?

BTW, I don't mean to pick on Ritz, but they're a national exemplar of the problems facing traditional camera stores.

12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I can certainly understand your friends concern. If I had not found my K10D in a store, then I would not have bought one, simple as that. Call me old fashioned or what but I think Pentax has to get their equiptment into some stores if they ever want to increase their share of the US market. While it's sad but true that the brick and mortar camera store is fading, millions of cameras are being sold through electronics stores like Best Buy and chain stores like Walmart and Target and Pentax is absent. People question this and it's a valid question to ask.
12-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is understandable that your friend should be cautious since the Pentax market share in NA is very low compared to Nikon and Canon. However, when I purchased my Pentax I did it with the notion that it was by far and best choice for the price. And I must say I never regretted it. *well a little wish I waited 2 months for the KX* As for lens and etc support I'm in the same boat as you are as the dealers here are very much Canon and Nikon supporters. Only one local camera shop carries Pentax and the big chain stores carry only a hand full or lenses.

However, with that said Futureshop(Canada's BestBuy) has recently brought back Pentax to their lineup of DSLR with the KX. I'm hoping that is a sign of things to come. As for Pentax blowing over the way of some other camera companies I don't think it will happen.
12-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
A friend wished to purchase a entry level DSLR. I suggested the K-X. He wished to "test drive" the camera. However, we find there are no dealers in the tiny hamlet of Fort Worth Texas.

He was wondering if he wanted to sink $1,000+ in brand which was woefully underrepresented in the mainstream retail market. Eg. Will low representation equate to lower sales which finally results in Pentax halting their production of their DSLR line, less lens options, etc.

While I know that Pentax has been around for decades, I also realize that competition in the camera market is fierce and if the company has few regular avenues to sell a product then that company may consider that product to be a lost cause.

Comments?

P.S.
The old brick-and-mortar model does not seem to work nowadays. For example, I don't buy my camera gear from the stores any more simply because 1) they are more expensive than online stores and 2) the ones they have in stock are generally handled by many customers -nothing wrong with that, just don't like the idea that I may end up getting one which had been test drive so many times (high actuation count).

"He was wondering if he wanted to sink $1,000+ in brand which was woefully underrepresented in the mainstream retail market." This is just an excuse because some believe they are more comfortable with certain C or N brands.
12-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Gary, there is more wisdom in that than in anything I have ever seen you post.
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
Have you (or has your friend) tried Arlington Camera? I thought they carried Pentax stuff, although I have not been out there in a while. I live over in Dallas. As someone suggested, Fry's might also carry Pentax cameras. (I was just there yesterday but for something else and didn't look at cameras. Sorry.) I recall that Best Buy also carried Pentax stuff, at least a couple of years ago.

Be aware that Amazon.com has a very good return policy. You can buy, open carefully and use for a day or two, and return for full refund if you don't like. B&H and Adorama may have similarly enlightened policies.

But generally, Pentax has decided not to compete in the retail stores. This is a business decision that they may be forced to make. But note that about the only thing you can count on seeing at your average electronics store will be Canon and Nikon low-end DSLRs and point-and-shoots. This is more a sign that the bricks and mortar stores are in trouble than that Pentax is in trouble.

QuoteQuote:
Anybody can go out of business. I would not be buying Microsoft stock right now.

But Pentax's position in the market seems to be solid, if small. They seem to be in about fifth place in terms of market share, behind Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony. But Pentax gets consistently good press and good reviews and continues to deliver really excellent products at a remarkably competitive price.

Will
12-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Igilligan

A wise man once said...

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Gary, there is more wisdom in that than in anything I have ever seen you post.
A Pearl of wisdom from this Oyster of a Man....

This is an absolute truth! If you want proof, look at almost everyone on this forum. We picked Pentax, and yet we are happy...

Well almost everyone.
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Igilligan

I disagree I agree I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As you will find with Pentax users in this forum, there has been no ill effects on the Pentax gear we use due to poor representation in bricks and mortar shops.

Oh I disagree here... I think there are some ill effects of not having cameras and lenses in Brick and Mortar stores. One is all the sales lost to folks like this persons friend who never even get a chance to see or try pentax. The next is all the money they are losing from folks like me, by not having Lenses in stores we can try on our cameras. I would love to try a fisheye 10-17 or a FA 43 or DA 50-135 on my camera before I buy it!

Pentax does have a limited budget compared to the big guns, and an even lesser proportion of their cashflow is committed to marketing - end result is as you see it.

Yes I agree...

But your friend will enjoy the K-x no doubt.
Yes I agree again... "two out of three ain't bad" meatloaf