Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K7 Auto Focusing Distance Settings Question

I'm relatively new to SLR photography and I've read the K7 manual cover to cover and am currently reading Peterson's Understanding Exposure. I have question on how to manage K7 focusing for "Storytelling Aperture" shots. I've searched the forum but couldn't find any threads related to the subject. Maybe it's too basic.

The book describes using the distance settings scale on a prime lens to manually focus a stopped down lens to achieve optimal top to bottom frame focus. I'm happy to say that makes sense to me. In practice I could use a hyperfocal distance calculator to manually adjust the lens or use the distance scale on a fixed lens.

I was wondering if the K7's autofocusing features are capable for doing this automagicly with the deep DOF priority program line? The manual says the deep DOF setting will close the aperture but doesn't seem to indicate how the focus distance will be determined other than selecting a point. Would that be the hyperfocal point? In another case, if I'm in Av mode with AF set to auto and I stop down the lens, is the camera smart enough select the best distance setting to achieve max DOF within the frame? I will be experimenting with this when it warms up a bit. I was just curious if you guys have any advise on the best shooting method for this.

thx Greg

12-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xinu Quote
I was wondering if the K7's autofocusing features are capable for doing this automagicly with the deep DOF priority program line? The manual says the deep DOF setting will close the aperture but doesn't seem to indicate how the focus distance will be determined other than selecting a point. Would that be the hyperfocal point? In another case, if I'm in Av mode with AF set to auto and I stop down the lens, is the camera smart enough select the best distance setting to achieve max DOF within the frame? I will be experimenting with this when it warms up a bit. I was just curious if you guys have any advise on the best shooting method for this.
I think the DOF program line is pretty simple: it favors small aperture to achieve greater DOF. The focus is still at a single point as indicated by the red LED in the viewfinder. The program doesn't know anything about hyperfocal.

I myself just set the program line at "normal," and adjust the aperture/shutter speed based on what I need for that photo. As a rule of thumb, for great DOF, I close down the aperture as much as I can within the limits of ISO and shutter speed settings, then I focus at a point about 1/3 into the DOF that I need.

Back in the film days, some Canon EOS allowed the user to select the two points that marked the DOF limits, the camera then set the aperture and the focus point based on the distances of the two points, pretty neat. I don't know if that feature is still in current Canon DSLRs.
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I think the DOF program line is pretty simple: it favors small aperture to achieve greater DOF. The focus is still at a single point as indicated by the red LED in the viewfinder. The program doesn't know anything about hyperfocal.

I myself just set the program line at "normal," and adjust the aperture/shutter speed based on what I need for that photo. As a rule of thumb, for great DOF, I close down the aperture as much as I can within the limits of ISO and shutter speed settings, then I focus at a point about 1/3 into the DOF that I need.

Back in the film days, some Canon EOS allowed the user to select the two points that marked the DOF limits, the camera then set the aperture and the focus point based on the distances of the two points, pretty neat. I don't know if that feature is still in current Canon DSLRs.
The 1/3 rule sounds good. Do you use P mode or Av and adjust accordingly? I kind of wonder if Program Line is really just a menu driven scene mode. It would seem to me that Av would be just as convenient if you understand how aperture affects DOF.

Last edited by xinu; 12-29-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar