Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Newbie getting into flash photography. Need help with terms and flash choice.

Hey all!
I’m just starting to discover flash photography and starting to play with remote flash. I’ve heard term strobe lighting. Would that be same as flash lighting?

I have K20D and Pentax AF 360 flash that I trigger wirelessly via onboard flash. Instead of putting flash on top of cabinets, roof of my car or on top of whatever is near by, I am planning to get a proper light stand… maybe even one with umbrella!... like a pro!
While thinking about that, I started to think about adding another flash to my lighting equipment. I’m thinking about getting a flash that’s perhaps more powerful than my AF360, so it can be my main flash and AF360 could be used to reduce shadows. Is this a good idea?
I am also planning to go with a different wireless trigger system. Something that has a transmitter on the camera and receivers plug into the flash units (I guess with some hotshoe mount connector??). Reason for this is because I am considering buying some cheap flash that may mot work with K20 wireless flash mode. No way that I can afford AF540FGZ!
What wireless trigger system would you recommend?
What flash unit would you recommend?
Would I need Pentax compatible flash, or could I use even the ones for Canon/Nikon hotshoes?

Needles to say, I'm on a tight budget (as most of us are)..

Last edited by sash; 12-29-2009 at 01:19 PM.
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes sash, strobe = flash gun
I'd suggest you read and understand the material presented in Strobist in Lighting 101 and 102.
It'll help you appreciate lighting, the equipment used and what to get for your purposes.
All the best in that.
12-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you read Matt's P-TTL page?
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
12-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And after you go through those, check out this: Flash triggers 1 and Flash Triggers 2

12-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sweet! I will go through those links guys. Work is pretty dead so this will keep me occupied.

On a side note.. I HATE PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!! Yesterday I bought Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro lens... While walking around I also saw at Henry’s Pentax DA* 50-135 on sale for $900. Going to pick it up during my lunch break along with Lowepro AW300 bag. I will be officially broke! Ahhhh,... I can not do anything about it!!!! The urge is stronger than me!!!!!
12-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
And after you go through those, check out this: Flash triggers 1 and Flash Triggers 2
Peter,

Have you clicked on the g9chon.com link in those threads lately? They take you to Amazon page below and it is not intuitive how to find the Flashwaves.

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Tim