Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote

I'm slowing down my non-shutterbug travel companions when I stop change lenses that often...
I had to chuckle when I read that phrase!

The first rule of serious photography...
Don't mix pleasure with pleasure!
I used to carry the full kit with me everywhere until finally my friends told me bluntly that allowing me to indulge my hobby was not fun for them.

As a result, I now limit my photography when in a social or group setting to carrying a small film camera or digital P&S (no tripod) and taking mainly snapshots. Serious photography is done on dedicated outings by myself or with other people having the same intent!

In regards to title and bulk of your post, I agree with Mark. There is no reason to worry about missed shots. If I had a penny for each of the times when I have "seen the picture" and not been able to take it (for whatever reason), I would be an extremely wealthy man. For sure, it is a shame to not get the right composition due to an appropriate lens not being mounted, but the situation is not as dire as when you simply don't have a camera.
"He who has no camera gets no pictures!"
You mentioned your love/hate relationship with your fisheye. Some time ago I saw an unusual shot by a forum member that was taken with the Zenitar 16 Fisheye. Would you believe a wild bird photo? Uncropped!? (Link to post here) Amazing what you can do with a cooperative woodpecker. Amazing what unconventional things you can do with a good fisheye as well. Here is a photo taken with my Zenitar 16...

The subject is a row of pipes in a pipe organ. I did not see the composition when I was actually shooting and only spied it when doing PP. It is a pretty radical crop, but works well due to the quality of the lens and the sensor. While this is a extreme example, it is pretty amazing what can be done with lenses such as a moderate wide angle (say 24mm on APS-C) and creative cropping. Many traditional film photographers are quite happy with a single rangefinder body coupled to a 35mm or 40mm fast prime as their only lens. I would suggest spending some time with a limited kit (one on the camera and one in the pocket) and seeing what can do with less!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-31-2009 at 02:16 PM.
01-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another vote for twin bodies here, one in my hand the other over left shoulder on long strap to be swung round into instant use. Both contain freshly charged twin batteries (one in body the other in grip) and both fitted the prime lenses I think best suited to that assignment.
01-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Another vote for twin bodies here, one in my hand the other over left shoulder on long strap to be swung round into instant use. Both contain freshly charged twin batteries (one in body the other in grip) and both fitted the prime lenses I think best suited to that assignment.
Interesting: I've got twin K20Ds but tend to 'dedicate' one to long lens use: I haven't actually carried both for "walk-about" shooting. I'll give it a try though--maybe a prime/zoom combo.
01-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Dom

Get a second body so you don't have to change lenses as often.