Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-20 viewfinder spot

Today while playing around a bit, I discovered a spot in my viewfinder. The first thing i did was to make sure it wasn't the sensor or the lens. spot doesn't appear on photos so i assume it's in the viewfinder itself, my question is, is it just some dust or is this something that could be wrong.

If anyone knows who to get rid of it i would much appreciate any info on how to do so.

12-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the K20D you mean, you can take of a lens, try to see if you see anything on the focus screen (look inside and up in the opening where you usually mount the lens). DON'T blow with your mouth, maybe a squizing blower thing (don't know the name in English) or a Q-tip maybe to remove it.
12-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Rattrap - welcome to the forum.

A small spot in the viewfinder causes no problems, and there is a very good chance that you will put two in getting one out. I have a few in mine and just ignore them.

Personally I'm not a great fan of rocket blowers inside the body. They're fine for blowing objects off lenses but in a confined space they simply move dirt from one place to another.
12-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The viewfinder screen can be removed and cleaned, but you do have to be quite meticulous about it to avoid making things worse - and the mechanism is quite delicate also.

12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I really appreciate the quick replies, I think I'll just let it go. Its my first SLR and I had never seen it before so i was little concerned that it might be something that I should be concerned about. Also I can be a little OCD about some stuff, and keeping my things clean is one of them.

Thanks for the help
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW My k100d had some dust in it for two years, and I just dealt with it. I replaced it with a K20d (used) and when it showed up there was a piece of black plastic stuck to the focusing screen in the lower 1/3. For that, I did remove the focusing screen and as Ash noted, it's a delicate but not impossible job.
12-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well it's way up in the upper right hand corner, so i don't think it will really interfere with anything, it's just a bit annoying now that i know that its their.
12-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the world of SLR's

12-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Must've been all that lens-changing huh . Is it the viewfinder or the focusing screen? If it's the viewfinder it's outside, focusing screen, inside. Unless it really really really bothers you, if it's not on the images I'd let it go for now.

Focusing screens can be dropped down and blown off but if you're unsure I'd leave it.