Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #1

Highlight and Shadow?

I know that some of this is a matter of taste and personal preference, but would like an opinion from those of you who had been using it (or disliking it) for some time.

I took several test images with and without highlight and shadow correction and not sure what really works best.

Highlight correction seems subtle and I would probably leave it on.

Shadow correction is a different story. The pics I took with the highest shadow correction setting look somewhat unnatural. The eye sees the shadow as it's a natural part of the scenery. If you over-correct it, the picture seems to be lacking that natural contrast.

Somewhat related question regarding noise reduction setting - I understand that the higher the NR setting, the longer it will take to save the image. But, are there any other disadvantages? I seem to like the highest NR setting, shows much better detail in low light shooting.

What is your preference/opinion?

12-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Correct

Your points are spot on.

Highlight correction is subtle but useful in that it reduces the point at which highlights get clipped. Mine is almost always on, except if I want to use ISO 100 to get a long shutter-speed and I don't have an ND filter with me.

Shadow correction makes images look flat and reduces contrast. I never use it.

You can play with shadow and highlight contrast if you want an even more subtle effect but I found the defaults ideal in most cases.

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography