Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x travels

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have some questions, even before I own a Pentax DSLR I'm choosing my first DSLR and I'm narrowing it down to The Pentax K-x or Nikon D3000-5000. My budget is around 700Ä/1000 US$.
It will be used mainly for shooting the kids at home and travels in Africa. If one could find some time to have a look at my travel website, you'll have an idea of my "style" (if I have one).
So regarding the Pentax K-x, I would love some input on the following:
1. Reviews rave about the IQ in low light at high iso, but what with IQ in bright light/low iso? Many of my travel photos, mainly (landscapes) in Africa, are shot in these circumstances.
2. What about the choice of lenses? It seems difficult to find lenses that suits both uses (kids and "my style" of landscape/travel).
3. The only reason I'm still considering the Nikon is for having more of an upgrade path later (both bodies and lenses) and compatibility with 3rd party equipment and software (eg Apple Aperture RAW). Any arguments to get this out of my mind are welcome
Many thanks,
Raf

12-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rafke Quote
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have some questions, even before I own a Pentax DSLR I'm choosing my first DSLR and I'm narrowing it down to The Pentax K-x or Nikon D3000-5000. My budget is around 700€/1000 US$.
It will be used mainly for shooting the kids at home and travels in Africa. If one could find some time to have a look at my travel website, you'll have an idea of my "style" (if I have one).
So regarding the Pentax K-x, I would love some input on the following:
1. Reviews rave about the IQ in low light at high iso, but what with IQ in bright light/low iso? Many of my travel photos, mainly (landscapes) in Africa, are shot in these circumstances.
2. What about the choice of lenses? It seems difficult to find lenses that suits both uses (kids and "my style" of landscape/travel).
3. The only reason I'm still considering the Nikon is for having more of an upgrade path later (both bodies and lenses) and compatibility with 3rd party equipment and software (eg Apple Aperture RAW). Any arguments to get this out of my mind are welcome
Many thanks,
Raf
Hi Raf,

First: excellent website you've got there! Well done.

About the IQ, I shouldn't worry too much. Both camera's do fine in low ISO as well.

For kids and "your style", I guess you best go for a medium range zoom lens.
A 17-70mm, or if you can afford it, the 16-50mm is somewhat wider an sharper closed down, and I kinda like it in Africa for working closeup with people, buildings and landscapes. Sigma and Tamron make equivalent lenses.

Nikon has a much bigger marketshare and therefore attracts more 3-rd party business.
However, there is more than enoughj Pentax and compatible equipment around.
Also all serious photo editing packages that I know handle Pentax RAW formats, and if not, Pentax camera's can shoot in Adobe's DNG RAW format as well.
There are no real problems here.
The biggest issue is that in some parts of the world Pentax has moved out its business model to delivery by webshops mainly.
Belgium is not suffering too much on that, except for the large retail stores which typically focus on Nikon and Canon.

What I'm wondering is; you seem to do a lot of cycling in north Africa. Lots of dust and dirt and bumpy conditions. Camera equipment is sensitive for that.
Pentax makes some very nice weather and dust sealed camera's and lenses.
Did you consider that option?
12-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply bymy141.

Since I have kids I travel by car, that's one of the reasons I finally consider a DSLR. However, next destination being the Sahara again, maybe I should consider a sealed K20D, but I can't stretch my budget too far...

I've seen your beautiful photos of Africa and the Middle East and noticed the use of a 18-250mm lens. This is attractive off course for travelling, are there too much noticeable IQ issues with such a lens for a beginner like me? 17-70mm or 16-50mm seems like very short to me, I'm used to a Lumix TZ5 with 28-280mm zoom ('though I don't think I use the whole zoom range much).

Webshopping is ok for me, but since I will be investing in a product range I'm not sure Pentax can deliver my future wishes. Maybe it's just the marketing departments of Nikon an Canon that make me think like this...

Raf
12-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply bymy141.

Since I have kids I travel by car, that's one of the reasons I finally consider a DSLR. However, next destination being the Sahara again, maybe I should consider a sealed K20D, but I can't stretch my budget too far...

I've seen your beautiful photos of Africa and the Middle East and noticed the use of a 18-250mm lens. This is attractive off course for travelling, are there too much noticeable IQ issues with such a lens for a beginner like me? 17-70mm or 16-50mm seems like very short to me, I'm used to a Lumix TZ5 with 28-280mm zoom ('though I don't think I use the whole zoom range much).

Webshopping is ok for me, but since I will be investing in a product range I'm not sure Pentax can deliver my future wishes. Maybe it's just the marketing departments of Nikon an Canon that make me think like this...

Raf
Well, thank you for your comments.

Before I bought my K10D / 18-250mm Tamron combo I was travelling with a TZ5 as well. An excellent powerzoom with very sharp optics.
Remember that the 28-435mm on a TZ5 are 35mm equivalent. Hence, you should compare it with APS-C DSLR lenses by multiplying the last by 1.5.
So, a 18-55mm DSLR std lens = 27-82.5mm compared to the TZ5 and 35mm cameras.

We did use the TZ5 side by side with the K10D / 18-250mm in Africa in 2007, and it is easy to see the so much better image quality of the K10D/18-250mm then.

Since a DSLR has a much larger image sensor, unfortunatly lenses with similar specifications to a TZ5 are much, much bigger and heavier.
The 18-250mm is a good compromise.
Let me comment specifically on this lens. Since many consider it the perfect travel lens.

If you don't mind postprocessing it is a very good lens.
1. On the short end, with blue sky landscape photos for instance, you will notice vignetting.
I.e. the image gets darker at the edges at 18mm.
Most good software can easily correct that.
2. Also at 250mm it is not that sharp a lens, also something largely to be fixed in PP.
3. You may notice chromatic aberration at high contrast edges. Again to be fixed in PP.

I'm a Adobe LightRoom user, LR can compensate all major weaknesses of this lens.

Today I'm hardly using the 18-250mm.
I've some more cash to spend these days and spend it on DA* lenses.
Yes, they are sharper, better and faster, but also expensive, large and heavy

12-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All DSLRs currently on the market, are capable of taking great pictures. So one canít really go wrong.

All cameras are best at low Iso, as basically they just multiply the signal from there; resulting in poorer IQ the higher you go. Regarding Dynamic Range, from what I understand it, the Kx should be pretty good over the entire range. This is likely/(hopefully) the next area that companies are gonna compete in.

Falk has done some testing with both the Kx and Nikon :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/83021-lumolabs-nikon-d...nge-noise.html

The downside to the entry level cams from Nikon, is that they lack internal motors; meaning that there are a lot of lenses that they cannot use. This has been discussed in e.g. this thread at the Nikon forum :
D40 a huge mistake by Nikon? [Page 1]: Nikon D90 - D40 / D5000 Forum: Digital Photography Review
But it is true that there is a clear upgrade path, and one just have to be on the lookout when acquiring lenses. So not a show stopper at all.

There is a rumor going around that Pentax will introduce Full Frame next year, this will lead to more of a upgrade path there as well. But top grade fast shooting auto-focus, this is Nikon D3s area. And D300s is above K7 as well.

Here are some wildlife work from some Pentax photographers :
Africa | Photo Gallery

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/56175-south-luangwa-np-l...es-photos.html

For longer lenses, the Sigma 500/4.5 is excellent. And Pentax is expected to be coming out with DA* 400/4. Already there are DA* 200/2.8, DA* 300/4, DA* 60-250/4. All DA* lenses are sealed. But all of these lenses are from 1.000 $ and up. Here is overview of Pentax glass :
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

Great stuff at your website already. Maybe you can check your website, and see what focal lengths you use the most
12-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, start by listing what kind of lenses you'd be interested in, and then maybe people can make recommendations. Aside from very long telephoto lenses, Pentax really isn't lacking much.

QuoteQuote:
Aperture supports Pentax, as does virtually every other software package I have ever heard of. The K-x might be too new to be supported today, but they'll add it sooner or later - that's the norm with *any* new camera.

As for equipment, you say you're a beginner - do you have some specific needs that you think Pentax can't meet? If not, I'd say yes, its just marketing that's making you worry.
01-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good answers so far, but I will chime in with something based on my personal experience and being in the tourism profession...if you are in a hot, dusty environment, you mat want to consider the K-7 instead of the K-x or the others. Why, the temperature/weather and dust sealing of the K-7 should be a big factor in choosing a camera body. Of course, you will want weather resistant lenses to keep your gear as safe as possible, but I'd start with a well protected body first and compare features and lenses afterward.

Good luck,

Jason
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well, thank you for your comments.

We did use the TZ5 side by side with the K10D / 18-250mm in Africa in 2007, and it is easy to see the so much better image quality of the K10D/18-250mm then.
I too have a TZ5 and use it as my pocket camera when I cant carry my main camera and gear with me...I was using a K10D with the Tamron 17-50 and/or the 18-250 when traveling....the TZ5, while a decent little camera, is no comparison to the images I got with my K10D and now my K-7. No comparison.

Jason

01-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again for the input!

QuoteQuote:
As for equipment, you say you're a beginner - do you have some specific needs that you think Pentax can't meet? If not, I'd say yes, its just marketing that's making you worry.
Good point. Did some more research and the Nikon is out. I'm sure I go for the K-x.

QuoteQuote:
if you are in a hot, dusty environment, you mat want to consider the K-7 instead of the K-x or the others.
Yes, indeed, but my budget (Ä700/$1000 all-in) before my next travel doesn't allow this unfortunately...

QuoteQuote:
Great stuff at your website already. Maybe you can check your website, and see what focal lengths you use the most
Thank you. I've checked the focal lenghts in my iPhoto library and it appears i do use the long end. Maybe I don't like them that much so they don't appear on my website...

QuoteQuote:
Well, start by listing what kind of lenses you'd be interested in, and then maybe people can make recommendations. Aside from very long telephoto lenses, Pentax really isn't lacking much.
Well, looking at my budget, there aren't too much options.
I think I'll have to go for the body and a tamron/sigma 18-200mm or the 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses. So a choice between switching lenses or not and quality. Any suggestions/opinions on this?

Any other accessories recommended for shooting in "my" conditions?

Thanks again,

Raf
01-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

If you can manage it, try for the kx with the 18-55 and 55-300. That should take care of your lens needs for quite a while. It will end up being less than a super zoom. The other thing to look at down the road would be a "fast 50." You can get a manual focus one for very cheap and have fun. I think you'll like the kx.