Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Long exposure help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A couple weeks ago I acquired the pentax remote control F. It was recently crystal clear skies here but bitter cold. So, I thought I'd experiment and try some startrails. I set up my k200d on the tripod and set it to B mode and remote control in the Fn menu. I retreated into the house and aimed from the window. It worked fine the 20 feet away, although I did have to stretch my arm out the window to aim at the camera. I couldn't get it to work through the glass.

But here's the thing, none of the exposure times on the photos matched the times of the exposures I did. I had a stop watch I set for four minutes and triggered the countdown simultaneously as I pressed the remote and heard the shutter open, and again when the stopwatch beeped I immediately aimed the remote and I heard the shutter close. I did quite a few long exposures of varying times. I wasted about 45 minutes doing this. But when I went out and retrieved the SD card to see how it did. All the exposures were completely black and only showed like 1 second exposure time. That was irritating.

I went outside, put the sd card back in. Reoriented the camera slightly, then used the remote. It turns out the shutter was open only while I held the button and aimed the remote at the camera. I was mistaken from what I thought I heard from the window, it was really just quickly opening and closing each time I pressed the button. I messed around in the menu and couldn't find any option to change how the remote operates. Frustrated and cold, I gave up and brought the camera and tripod in.

My question, is it possible for the remote F to work the way I thought it should?---Press remote once to open shutter, press remote again after x amount of time and the shutter closes. I know there are cable releases and other ways for long exposure, but I wanted to use the IR remote so I could be warm inside and not freezing cold next to the camera.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thanks

12-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To my knowledge the Pentax remote does not allow you to do that. As in press once- press again to release. However, I do know that if you hold it down the mirror stays up. So if you can find a remote with a slide lock with will hold the button down your set. Another way is to get a clamp to hold it down unless you want a sore thumb. Since you have K200D, I believe you can use a cable release instead of IR remote which will do what you want no problem. However, I have no experience with the K200D so I am not sure how it works. I have only played with the old old style cable releases where you screw a pin to hold it.
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got myself another remote with the slide lock on it to allow the shutter to stay open when in Bulb mode.
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmic Debris Quote

My question, is it possible for the remote F to work the way I thought it should?---Press remote once to open shutter, press remote again after x amount of time and the shutter closes. I know there are cable releases and other ways for long exposure, but I wanted to use the IR remote so I could be warm inside and not freezing cold next to the camera.

Thanks
You can't do it that way with the K200D. The K-7 would do it.

12-31-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the standard cable release that plugs into the side of the camera. Press down the button and slide it to the lock position. I used mine like that last night for exposures up to 15 minutes. I believe the model number is CS-205.
12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I got myself another remote with the slide lock on it to allow the shutter to stay open when in Bulb mode.
I've googled around, but I can't find a remote with a slide lock like you describe. What is the model number? Also, if you could remember where you got it from(if bought online)? Thanks much.

My main reason for wanting the remote is so I can stay warm after I set up my camera and tripod. For example, there's a very dark field that I can pull up right next to in my car. I would like a way to remotely control the camera from 20 to 30 feet away. I don't know if there are cable release extensions or what that could be that long, but even if there were it makes my uneasy because it seems you could accidentally pull or step on the cable and knock the camera/tripod over. The IR remote just seemed the safest way.
12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought it from my little local Bricks and Mortar store .... surprisingly not from online.

It's a TWIN1 remote ... can be used for different brands ... and can be used as IR as well as wired. Also allows AF on half press of the button as well.

Twin1-R3

Look at the universal one at the bottom of the page ... the R2-UT model.
Works a charm

12-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
I bought it from my little local Bricks and Mortar store .... surprisingly not from online.

It's a TWIN1 remote ... can be used for different brands ... and can be used as IR as well as wired. Also allows AF on half press of the button as well.

Twin1-R3

Look at the universal one at the bottom of the page ... the R2-UT model.
Works a charm
THANK YOU. I couldn't find the R2-UT, but did find the R3-UT at adorama. R3UT Seculine Twin 1 R3-UT max Universal Infrared Wireless & Wired Remote Shutter Release Transmitter for DSLR Cameras with Built-in Infrared Reading the description it's exactly what I want. I'll probably order it later today. Thanks again
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's say the R3-UT is the newer version .... mine is a couple of years old already.
12-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I used this:

Cable release

to get this:

12-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
mtroute: I used this:

Cable release

to get this:
Very nice shot--I am curious, what was aperture & shutter speed? Thanks.
01-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Very nice shot--I am curious, what was aperture & shutter speed? Thanks.
Exposure: 457 seconds
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

in future I will probably go with a lower ISO since at 400 and above, I get a fair amount of magenta sensor amp noise in the top of the image. I removed it in post on the above image but this is what it looked like before:

Last edited by mtroute; 01-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
02-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 Bulb Mode1 vs Mode2 with a wired remote

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmic Debris Quote
A couple weeks ago I acquired the pentax remote control F. It was recently crystal clear skies here but bitter cold. So, I thought I'd experiment and try some startrails. I set up my k200d on the tripod and set it to B mode and remote control in the Fn menu. I retreated into the house and aimed from the window. It worked fine the 20 feet away, although I did have to stretch my arm out the window to aim at the camera. I couldn't get it to work through the glass.

But here's the thing, none of the exposure times on the photos matched the times of the exposures I did. I had a stop watch I set for four minutes and triggered the countdown simultaneously as I pressed the remote and heard the shutter open, and again when the stopwatch beeped I immediately aimed the remote and I heard the shutter close. I did quite a few long exposures of varying times. I wasted about 45 minutes doing this. But when I went out and retrieved the SD card to see how it did. All the exposures were completely black and only showed like 1 second exposure time. That was irritating.

I went outside, put the sd card back in. Reoriented the camera slightly, then used the remote. It turns out the shutter was open only while I held the button and aimed the remote at the camera. I was mistaken from what I thought I heard from the window, it was really just quickly opening and closing each time I pressed the button. I messed around in the menu and couldn't find any option to change how the remote operates. Frustrated and cold, I gave up and brought the camera and tripod in.

Thanks
I dont have a solution, but more questions.
I own a K7, and i purchased a wired / wireless remote ("hahnel") It plugs into the K7's remote port, and you can then either use the wired dongle to focus / shoot, or use the wireless remote to focus / shoot

It all works rather brilliantly except for bulb mode, This remote does not "latch" so one has to hold the button in for the duration of the shot.
However i thought it would not be a problem, as the K7 has the following options under menu C item 17 - Remote control in Bulb
1. mode 1 "push remote control release button once to start exposure and a second time to end
2. mode 2 "push and hold remote control release button for exposure. Release button to end

I honestly thought mode 1 would be perfect, push to open, push again to close, but it doesnt work.

As you found as soon as i trip the shutter via the remote, the shutter opens, and as soon as i release the button it closes. (as if mode 2 was in force)

Does the wired shutter not constitute being a "remote" in pentaxes opinion ?
Does only their own Infra red remote work correctly with this option ?

Any clues, or do i just buy a latching remote ?
02-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

booleansplit.com DIY Pentax DSLR cable release tells how to make a wired remote, cheap. It uses a standard toggle switch, so you KNOW when it's locked open -- don't have to *hope* that the slide stays locked. Simple, foolproof, bombproof, cheap. Great!
02-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks RioRico, i'll check that out !