Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
error message after viewing card

After viewing images on my SDHC card on the built-in card reader in my pc, using Windows Live Photo Gallery, I noticed that every image I had rotated to view in portrait mode, now shows up with the error message "This image cannot be displayed" when I put the card back into the camera to review it. Did the Windows program do something to alter the image into a format the camera can no longer recognize, as the error explanation seems to suggest? The camera is a k-x, and the card is a PNY Optima. I've always used the Windows program to open, rotate and view my images and don't recall this ever happening with cards using my k20d. Do I need to use a different image viewing program? Any suggestions appreciated!

12-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
After viewing images on my SDHC card on the built-in card reader in my pc, using Windows Live Photo Gallery, I noticed that every image I had rotated to view in portrait mode, now shows up with the error message "This image cannot be displayed" when I put the card back into the camera to review it. Did the Windows program do something to alter the image into a format the camera can no longer recognize, as the error explanation seems to suggest? The camera is a k-x, and the card is a PNY Optima. I've always used the Windows program to open, rotate and view my images and don't recall this ever happening with cards using my k20d. Do I need to use a different image viewing program? Any suggestions appreciated!
Yes, if you rotate images windows is changing the files.
As a matter of fact, the algorithm used by Windows is not lossless, which means that you have also lost some of the pictures quality.

Have a look of your pictures with (for instance) Picasa by Google, all alturations made by Picasa are not applied to the original file, but stored in a seperate database.
If you want to fix your Picasa's changes, you should "export" the images.

See also Picasa 3: Free download from Google
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
bymy141,

Thanks for your reply....I didn't realize rotating an image on Windows just to view an image without downloading it causes quality loss...bummer! I did use Picassa when I had my old computer with Windows XP, but since getting a new one with Windows 7, I began using their Live Photo Gallery, which also does some basic editing and organizing, so I didn't want to duplicate everything by loading on Picassa again. So does this mean I am causing image quality loss even with raw files?
12-31-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
bymy141,

Thanks for your reply....I didn't realize rotating an image on Windows just to view an image without downloading it causes quality loss...bummer! I did use Picassa when I had my old computer with Windows XP, but since getting a new one with Windows 7, I began using their Live Photo Gallery, which also does some basic editing and organizing, so I didn't want to duplicate everything by loading on Picassa again. So does this mean I am causing image quality loss even with raw files?
RAW files should not be touched by any program, except if you use formats that are capable to store the editing info in the RAW format. If my memory is right, at least the DNG format can do that. This means that if you edit a DNG file in LightRoom, LR can store the delta info in the DNG file, still containing the original raw data as well.

Your assumption that Picasa is duplicating files is incorrect. Picasa does "only" maintain additional information on the images changed in seperate files.
Picasa has a problem displaying the newer PEF files correctly (K-7 & K-x). Older Pentax PEF formats are handled ok, but Google has noty updated their software on this. DNG works fine.

There are many more viewing / editing options. Irfanview and FastImageViewer are also a popular free applications. The last one can also make Windows display image content in icons.

Have fun, Bert