Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
You can likely buy them even in Africa and often just buying 4 disposables at some random souvenier shop will be more convenient than looking for a place where to plug in your proprietary battery charger for a few hours and not get it stolen.
I'm thinking the hotel at night may be a a decent spot. For the life I me i just don't get AA's.

01-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not to start a AA battery discussion, but normal double A's that you would pick up in a random souvenier shop are pretty worthless when it comes to running a camera like the Kx. Wonder how many shots you could actually get out of them?
01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I'd avoid anything with AA's like the plauge as they are a right pain to carry and load in a hurry.
Well, since you brought it up, might as well bring up the counterargument: I'd avoid anything *but* AA batteries like the plague, because replacing them becomes increasingly difficult and increasingly expensive over time, and it's a pain carrying around multiple chargers.

In reality, anyone who thinks the differences *in practice* between batteries ranks higher than, say, the differences between whether the SD slot is on the right or the left, has got serious issues. Both types of batteries work just fine.
01-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not to start a AA battery discussion, but normal double A's that you would pick up in a random souvenier shop are pretty worthless when it comes to running a camera like the Kx. Wonder how many shots you could actually get out of them?
Plenty if they are lithium, which might not be in *every* random souvenir shop, but are far more easily found than the AA-haters imagine. But in any case, I agree this is not a particularly strong argument in favor of AA. With *either* type of battery, make sure they (main and spare) are charged each night, and you're set for at least a thousand shots. Only if you seriously expect to shoot more than than per day does the issue even come up.

01-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Anywhere there is a 7-11, you will find Energizer. Random no name AA's are useless. I bought some a couple of times in China and could not even power up the DSLR. Energizer lithium e2s last forever but they can be quite expensive. If I was going to get another DSLR today, for travel or not, i'd probably go with a non-AA powered camera.

I was in China for one year and bought a K200D and DA18-250 along with me. It's a decent combo and can be had for quite cheap. The DA18-250 is still a tad over priced IMO.

I'll just add that my eneloops died on me yesterday only after 6 months!
01-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I would just like to mention that even though the body is resistant the internal components are not. The m series lens may be cheap and easily replaced the thing you should keep in mind is that the lens is physically connected to the body. Which means if the lens gets water in it there is a possibility that the water may spill into the body via the fact that they are connected. Just something you should keep in mind.
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico_ Quote
Hi!

We are looking into buying a K-X camera to use on our travels. But after closer inspection we see that the K-X is not weather resistant. What model should we consider if we need a tough camera that would survive travel all over the world like beaches, deserts, very cold weather, very warm weather and so on..?

Would appreciate some advice on what model pentax or other models we should look at
If you want to stay with Pentax, buy a K7 and a few Limited primes.
If you want to use AA batteries, get the grip for the K7.
I'd have no qualms whatsoever with dropping everything and going traveling with my K7 kit.
The only thing to consider, really, is will you be able to buy a replacement body that will mount to the lenses you have with you on your trip if you manage to break the body you have with you.
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #23
juu
Veteran Member

I'm thinking the hotel at night may be a a decent spot.
Yes, _if_ you are staying at a hotel that has an electricity plug in your room and you have the right kind of a converter. Which is still an "if".

Now, Nico didn't specify if his "world travel" involves staying only at Four Seasons and the like or involves camping/hostels/etc.. If the latter then odds are fairly significant he won't have electricity to charge his batteries every night.

QuoteQuote:
For the life I me i just don't get AA's.
I've had friends forget to charge their proprietary batteries and had to do without a camera for the outing. I've forgotten to charge my AAs and had to buy them at a random souvenir shop. And I've stayed at campgrounds without electricity.

Now, if you never forget things and you only travel where you have electricity available to charge your stuff every night, you don't need AAs. Just because you don't need them, don't assume that Nico_ doesn't need them. Not everyone is in the same boat as you.

01-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Where the heck is there a convenience store but not a powerpoint? Short of bushman tents, accommodation will have a freakin powerpoint. If not, where the heck is this mythical convenience store in the middle of the kalahari?

Which then means you really should be carrying enough batteries to get you by so if you need 4 days shooting you're carting 16 batteries versus 4.

They are more temperamental, harder to load, harder to find in your bag, easier to misplace, easier to mix up 3 good batteries with one dead one (then you're really in trouble) and heavier.

All because you MIGHT find a place that has no electricity but stocks Lithium AA batteries?

I don't get it.
01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Advantage: Film

A Nikonos III camera requires no batteries.

A selenium cell exposure meter requires no batteries.
Or use Sunny 16 and no exposure meter is required.

In case you don't know camera can be used underwater, too...

Chris
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #26
Pentaxian

They are more temperamental, harder to load, harder to find in your bag, easier to misplace, easier to mix up 3 good batteries with one dead one (then you're really in trouble) and heavier.
Maybe some bags are so poorly designed that you can't find AA's, or some people so careless that they misplace batteries on a regular enough basis to be worth a second thought, but those are not problem for most people in practice. as for mixing batteries, that's also easy enough to prevent with just a moment's thought (eg, marking the cells in some way to make sure you use them together).

QuoteQuote:
All because you MIGHT find a place that has no electricity but stocks Lithium AA batteries?
Well like I said, I'm never impressed by that as a rationale either. But the possibility of having an out should you accidentally finding yourself without charged batteries for whatever reason and having an out is worth something. Not a lot, I admit, but it did save me once in the almost 5 years I've been shooting AA cameras. As I've said, the *real* advantage of AA is future availability, and being able to share chargers.
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

LOL. Sorry, I didn't intend to start a AA war. I just pointed it out for the OP that AA's come with the K200d.

If you buy the K200d and you take it out in the snow at -10 or -20C, energizer lithiums work real well, and will give you around 600 shots.

Sharing AA's and DNG files certainly works for me. However, now I have a K7 and proprietary battery , and unless you are playing at AF tuning your lenses all afternoon with LV/Shooting Movies like me yesterday, you are likely going to run out of card space ahead of batteries. The K7 is (officially) rated to -10c use also.

Last edited by Clarkey; 01-03-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
01-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #28
juu
Veteran Member

Where the heck is there a convenience store but not a powerpoint?
I've been to quite a few campgrounds in France and Italy that either don't offer power near the tents, or it is an overpriced "bring-your-own-extension-cord" option. They did, however, have a convenience store or a gas station nearby where to buy AA batteries.

Likewise at cheaper hostels in Eastern Europe the power socket could be located at the other end of the room that you're sharing with strangers and leaving your batteries to charge overnight isn't convenient - while you can buy AAs at any shop. That was years ago though so maybe things have changed for the better.

And that's just Europe where I've travelled the most, I'm guessing the situation would come up even more often in Africa/Asia/etc.

QuoteQuote:
I don't get it.
Yes, you don't, because you haven't run into that situation in your travels. That doesn't mean nobody else does.

P.S. I just realized we're going in circles as you either conveniently ignored or didn't really understand the part I wrote before:
QuoteOriginally posted by juu:
I've had friends forget to charge their proprietary batteries and had to do without a camera for the outing. I've forgotten to charge my AAs and had to buy them at a random souvenir shop. And I've stayed at campgrounds without electricity.

Last edited by juu; 01-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm thinking the hotel at night may be a a decent spot. For the life I me i just don't get AA's.

If you ever travel rainforest or heck just portage the Algonquins (or similar) for a few weeks ...you'll get it.