Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Camera for world travel

Hi!

We are looking into buying a K-X camera to use on our travels. But after closer inspection we see that the K-X is not weather resistant. What model should we consider if we need a tough camera that would survive travel all over the world like beaches, deserts, very cold weather, very warm weather and so on..?

Would appreciate some advice on what model pentax or other models we should look at

12-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To my knowledge the K10D and K7 are both weather resistant if you are looking for something brand new but these are significantly more expensive than the Kx. If you don't mind buying used equipment then you should look for a K200D or K100D between those generations are also good as the KM (K2000) was the first model that lost the Weather seals.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about having weather seals unless your really going to go full at it. Considering that the only lenses that are weather sealed are the WR line I believe. In addition to that none of the Canon or Nikon's entry level line up have weather seals either.

But I'd give up my Km for a nice weather sealed Kx if they made it. Nothing like having extra security. For me, I'd just have to live with being extra cautious in my travels.
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Nico.

K200D will be the closest thing to the K-x you can get in a WR body.
You won't find it new other than perhaps eBay.
You also shouldn't expect it to be all that resilient in extreme cold/heat, but it should do OK in sand/dust as long as you couple it with a WR lens, like the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR.
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

When are you leaving? As if it's not that soon Pentax may still come out with something like the K300D some time next year.

You can probably still get a K20D new somewhere. Or a used K200D as Ash suggests would be the budget option.

12-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 is the current weather proofed body, for a complete weather sealed system there are 2 zooms 16-50 and 50-135 if you don't mind plunking down some $$$.
12-31-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico_ Quote
Hi!

We are looking into buying a K-X camera to use on our travels. But after closer inspection we see that the K-X is not weather resistant. What model should we consider if we need a tough camera that would survive travel all over the world like beaches, deserts, very cold weather, very warm weather and so on..?

Would appreciate some advice on what model pentax or other models we should look at
Nico,

Having a WR camera is one thing, lenses are as sensitive to dust and moisture as camera bodies. This means that you'd be looking at a K-7 + 18-55m WR + 50-200 WR kitlenses, or the much more expensive DA* lenses.

Happy travelling, Bert
12-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think any one of the weather sealed models Pentax put out would work -- the K10, K20, K200 or K7. The K7 has the toughest build of them all, but it is also the most expensive. AS mentioned above, make sure you get a weather sealed lens or two -- those lenses are marked either by WR or as DA * (the DA * lenses are more expensive).

For most situations, you can get by with a non sealed camera and lens, just be careful not to change lenses in the wrong area, or you will get moisture/dust inside the camera body.

01-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #8

I do agree with epqwerty that a weather sealed camera is no good without the weather sealed lenses. Having lived in the very dusty Middle East and the very wet UK my advice would be to try not to change your lenses to often in extreem conditions and clean your camera and lenses every day if you can. Cameras are more robust than you may imagine if you take good care of them.
01-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lens with no electronics (M42, K/M lenses) are not particularly sensitive to weather. And lenses are easier to shield from the weather than the camera is. It's a myth tyhat you need sealed lenses. Sure, sealed lenses beat unsealed ones, but that doesn't mean a sealed body i of no value. I shoot a sealed body with unsealed lenses all the time. I'm just carfuly to protect the lens if it's one with electronics, and I tend to lean toward my M lenses where possible.
01-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Lens with no electronics (M42, K/M lenses) are not particularly sensitive to weather. And lenses are easier to shield from the weather than the camera is. It's a myth tyhat you need sealed lenses. Sure, sealed lenses beat unsealed ones, but that doesn't mean a sealed body i of no value. I shoot a sealed body with unsealed lenses all the time. I'm just carfuly to protect the lens if it's one with electronics, and I tend to lean toward my M lenses where possible.
For once I tend to disagree with Marc.

I have two "normal" lenses with dust in them, alas.
And it shows, particularly with small apertures.
One cannot be too careful when travelling in dusty, windy places like north Africa.

- Bert
01-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

And it shows, particularly with small apertures.
One cannot be too careful when travelling in dusty, windy places like north Africa.

- Bert
No more dusty than where I live, and my normal lenses don't have observable dust in them. So I agree with Marc.
01-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

I suppose I was thinking more of water than dust. Still dust *can* be cleaned out. And the "M" lenses I am using are practically "disposable" - the two together cost me about $70.
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a DSLR I would recommend a K200d, with 18-55 WR/50-200mm WR....
The only thing you would lack is a video mode, should you be interested in that.

The K200D also uses AA's, which are very handy for travelling.

Good luck.
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd avoid anything with AA's like the plauge as they are a right pain to carry and load in a hurry. I'd also avoid the two kit lenses and just get the 18-250 as it's at about the same quality with WAY less hassle, 55mm is a mongrel of a spot to need to change lenses.

I shoot an 18-250, 12-24 and 77mm. If in europe a super wide is priceless.
01-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
juu
Veteran Member

I think the 18-250 advice is good, however AA batteries are very convenient for travel.

You can likely buy them even in Africa and often just buying 4 disposables at some random souvenier shop will be more convenient than looking for a place where to plug in your proprietary battery charger for a few hours and not get it stolen.