Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

best landscape lens?

I have recently gotten a K-x and want to photograph the mountains of Colorado. We have a lot of bright sunny days here. What would be my best choice of lens?
Thank you.

01-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That would depend on what specifically you are finding unsatisfactory about the fine 18=55 that presumably came with your camera. Considering that landscapes are generally shot at f/8 or more, there really isn't going to be much difference in quality between the 18-55 and any other lenses at those apertures, although pretty much any more expensize zoom will improve on the 18-055 at wide apertures. It also depends on your personal preference for focal lengths, which your 18-55 can help teach you if you don't already know.

Personally, I could do pretty much all my landscape shooting (also in Colorado!) with my DA15 and M28/2.8. Other can't comprehend the concept of not using a zoom.
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's important to know how wide the lens you need for the landscapes should be for you.
There's the Pentax DA 16-45, which is an excellent lens without the high price tag, then there's the Pentax DA 12-24, which offers a much wider field of view and again is of excellent quality.
Tamron offers the 17-50 (if 17mm is wide enough for you). But the primes are great too - the DA 14, the DA 15 ltd and DA 21.
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #4

I have the DA21 which is great but have used a Sigma 17-70, 50/1.4, depends. If you have the 18-55 (I just picked up the WR version for my K7 and will use it) figure out what you don't like about it or waht focal length you find yourself using most then go from there.

01-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Previously I was trying to take photos of scenery like Music Pass (ever been there, Marc?) with a Canon A620 which has the equivalent of a 35-140 mm lens. It just couldn't get in enough of the sweep of the vista, or something. Pictures looked flat, couldn't convey the feeling of the view. Know what I mean? As you can tell, I'm a beginner.
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So do you have the kit lens (the 18-55mm)?
If so, have you tried using it for such an application?
You may find it will suffice for you, particularly if you don't mind shooting around f/8 or thereabouts for your landscapes.
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
canonwoman Previously I was trying to take photos of scenery like Music Pass (ever been there, Marc?) with a Canon A620 which has the equivalent of a 35-140 mm lens. It just couldn't get in enough of the sweep of the vista,...
If the Canon with which you shot had the equivalent maximum wide angle of 35mm, and was not wide enough, your kit lens' maximum wide, on an APS sensor, would give you the equivalent of 27mm. That may, or may not be enough. You need to go out and try it--I suspect it would be enough. Even though I have never seen the place, I do a lot of hiking in mountains. Usually, 18mm on a crop sensor is more than sufficient.
01-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by canonwoman Quote
Previously I was trying to take photos of scenery like Music Pass (ever been there, Marc?) with a Canon A620 which has the equivalent of a 35-140 mm lens. It just couldn't get in enough of the sweep of the vista, or something. Pictures looked flat, couldn't convey the feeling of the view. Know what I mean? As you can tell, I'm a beginner.
I've never heard of Music Pass, but sounds interesting! Anyhow, the focal lengths you state for the A620 are in "35mm equivalent" terms. So in order to compare with with your DSLR, you'll need to convert its focal lengths to those terms also, by multiplying by 1.5. Meaning, a 24mm lens would be about the same as the wide end of your A620, and indeed, that's not very wide at all. The 18-55 that presumably came with your camera is already quite a bit wider, and may well be all you need for now. There are certainly wider lenses available, and there are many threads in the SLR Lens forum comparing them if you eventually decide that 18mm isn't wide enough for you. I shot for over four years before deciding I wanted something wider than that, and am now happy with my DA15 - but still, I'm sure most of my landscapes will continue to be shot in the 18-55 range.

01-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Not sure from where (how far) you're shooting these mountains but if the budget can handle it have a look at the Tokina 11-16 ultra wide zoom, your other option would be to "stitch" a panorama in software like GIMP (free) or Photoshop (can be free) Your canon should have come with the software "photo-stitch" ...that should do the job.
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Sigma 10-20

I wanted to experiment with an ultra wide angle on a vacation to Valley of Fire, a state park of Nevada. I rented a Sigma 10-20mm for my trip and was amazed by the different perspectives it produced. Also, the Sigma isn't a fisheye lens as is the Pentax 10-17mm.

For my trip in the desert, the lens proved to be a winner and after I returned the rental, I bought one to have for my own.
01-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 isn't available in Pentax mount unfortunately.

The Sigma 10-20mm is a popular lens. If you will only use it for landscape stuff and don't need the speed, the older, slower version will be cheaper than the new f3.5 HSM.

Personally, I was never that happy with the performance of my Pentax 18-55mm. Especially the 18mm end, it got ugly towards the edges, even stopped down.

Also, the 'flat' images might be more to do with a lack of perspective or use of foreground rather than not having a super wide lens.
01-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Clicker
Site Supporter Not sure from where (how far) you're shooting these mountains but if the budget can handle it have a look at the Tokina 11-16 ultra wide zoom, your other option would be to "stitch" a panorama in software like GIMP (free) or Photoshop (can be free) Your canon should have come with the software "photo-stitch" ...that should do the job.
Clicker, the Tokina 11-16mm f 2.8 lens is a nice lens, but it is not available in Pentax mount.

QuoteQuote:
zman: zman I wanted to experiment with an ultra wide angle on a vacation to Valley of Fire, a state park of Nevada. I rented a Sigma 10-20mm for my trip and was amazed by the different perspectives it produced. Also, the Sigma isn't a fisheye lens as is the Pentax 10-17mm.

For my trip in the desert, the lens proved to be a winner and after I returned the rental, I bought one to have for my own.
Canonwoman, if you decide you need wider than the 18mm of your kit, try the Sigma 10-20mm--z-man is right. If you want to see lots and lots of shots with it, look at our thread here at Pentax forum where the lens is showcased. It is a fine lens, at a fine price.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Cwyatt: It looks like you beat me by a few seconds--both our posts show a time of 1:37am est
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Flickr: cuzdeb's Photostream
Here's my flickr page, just created. The problem is, there are so many mountains I want to cram into one picture.
Deb
01-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I recommend to try your kit lens first so you can evaluate what sort of lens you really need
It is a very good lens in landscapes since you dont need wider aperture for those shots.