Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Weather Sealing...

Hello everyone...I'm in the market for my first dSLR....I'm moving up from my Canon G10 which is a great little tank of camera within it's limitations.

My question is how much do you value weather sealing and what can you "get away" with a non weather sealed camera? I live in Buffalo, NY so I love to get out shoot during snowfalls, especially during the night and early morning.

My sister is a just about to graduate Photography major and she shoots Nikon (D700) in addition to many film cameras...she has her own dark room...the D700 is far too much camera for me, especially coming from the G10....so I've been doing tons of reading and was at first tempted by the D90 then I came across the K-7 and K-x....

I've read through the threads I could find comparing the D90 and K-7...right now on amazon I can get the D90 with 18-105mm for 1027.98+tax and the K-7 w/18-55mm for 1014.98+tax....

I suppose I'm simply asking for opinions on weathersealing and what conditions you can use a non-weather sealed camera in without worrying too much...
Thanks for reading!

01-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me it's not a question of using the cameras in different conditions, but a question of how much I worry :-). That is, I'll shoot in the snow sealing or no, but I'm more paranoid about keeping the camera protected if it isn't sealed.
01-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are...but it rains here a lot! I tend to try to keep my camera dry regardless of the weather sealing, but it is nice to know I don't have to worry if I choose to go out in bad weather.
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Added reassurance with WR gear - even where I am where it's not been raining enough, I've been caught out in rainy, dusty or windy conditions where I know the gear would have been breached if it weren't for WR.

01-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses....I've just never given it much thought which I suppose is the issue. With my G10 I just went out and shot....at this point it's either the K-7 with weather sealing...or K-x with great high ISO for night shooting which I love, but no weathersealing...and if I get the K-x I could alway spend the saved cash for another lens....

As for what the weather is like here...well it's Buffalo, NY...to say we get some snow and year-round crazy weather might be an understatement...haha

I do wish Pentax had something comparable to Nikons 35m f/1.8....I've read some about a 50mm f/1.4 I believe?
01-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had wet snow melting all over my k200d, when it seemed that the weather outside is just fine. I would not be pulling out a non sealed camera if i found out the snow to be wet.

Still, knowing usual local weather (quite rainy, or snowy) some sort of camera coat would be a must if my camera was not sealed. Otherwise it would not see much of a use.

I think weather sealed camera makes you worry less, when a non sealed camera prohibits its usage under many circumstances. Practically i use my P&S when it's raining, even if it's not sealed, but only because it's cheap, has few exposed or external features (lens rings, buttons, top flash etc) and those are quick shots after which the camera goes straight back in my pocket. But you newer know when some rain drop hits a critical place.

Once i was told, that most mobile phones that glitch reveal damage done by rain, next to those that are physically broken (smashed, cracked). So they happily refuse the warranty.

It is best to have everything you will be using outdoors suitable for outdoor use. Flash lights, mobiles, cameras, mp3's, backpacks. If not proof, then at least water retardant .
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've just returned from an outing under a snowfall with my K20D and my new WR kit lens. It was the first time I had no worry about the weather (we got 3 cm per hour for several hours). Before I would hide the camera, take it out to take one picture, hide it again. Now I just placed it around my neck and shot away, brushing the snow from the top LCD as needed. A very revealing experience. It felt free, to be honest.
01-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #8

I just got back from a snow outing as well!

I have a k100d, I shot for about 20 minutes in boston tonight with it snowing and being very windy. I just wiped the camera down when I was done and stuck it back in the bag.

I just got home and its still working!

01-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

To answer OP - I don't have a WR camera, but based on my recent experience (see link below) I'm 95% sure my next one will be.

QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
I have a k100d, I shot for about 20 minutes in boston tonight with it snowing and being very windy. I just wiped the camera down when I was done and stuck it back in the bag.

I just got home and its still working!
Not everyone is so lucky:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85429-confirmed-k1...resistant.html
01-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just cover my cam and lens with a plastic bag if I really want to shoot in rain or snowing. Worked great so far. I usually stay at home in bad weather though
01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I received the new DA* 50-135mm that I ordered. I picked it over the alternatives specifically because of weather sealing. Despite the fact that it was near-blizzard conditions out, I still put it onto my K-7 and went shooting outdoors. The camera got covered in melting snow on many occasions, and I kept having to wipe it clean to see anything on the rear screen, LCD, and even the viewfinder. A lot of times, the viewfinder got so fogged up, I was guessing about composition. But I still had a blast, and never worried about all the water that kept accumulating all over the camera.

This was in Burlington, VT, which gets only slightly worse weather than Boston does.

01-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Yesterday I received the new DA* 50-135mm that I ordered. I picked it over the alternatives specifically because of weather sealing. Despite the fact that it was near-blizzard conditions out, I still put it onto my K-7 and went shooting outdoors. The camera got covered in melting snow on many occasions, and I kept having to wipe it clean to see anything on the rear screen, LCD, and even the viewfinder. A lot of times, the viewfinder got so fogged up, I was guessing about composition. But I still had a blast, and never worried about all the water that kept accumulating all over the camera.

This was in Burlington, VT, which gets only slightly worse weather than Boston does.

Thanks Goreman! I think I'm sold on the K-7...wish I had it now since we're getting pounded with more lake effect snow here in Buffalo....
01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

FWIW, I did some shooting at a place called Blowing Rock Preserve in Florida last week, so called because the water does this at high tide:

I shot this with my (sealed) K200D and (unsealed) M28/2.8. They both got pretty wet from my attempts to play "sandpiper": running up to the shore, snapping shots as the waves crashed, and running away again before the spray came down over me. I actually got completely soaked myself. I had no problems whatsoever with my camera or lens, but the cell phone in my pocket wouldn't work for about 3 days afterwards.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-04-2010 at 09:38 PM.
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If you're shooting in the city, i'd be more worried about being mugged. Seriously though, weather sealing is great if you're frequently going to be shooting under extreme conditions.

It's a great selling point but most cameras/lenses even without weather sealing can be easily protected with a baggie; leave the weather sealing worries to the guys shooting under conditions where a baggie isn't convenient.

That said you can buy photo specific "baggies", i think Think Tank has one called the rain/weather shield?
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #15

Weather sealing was the biggest deciding factor in going Pentax vs. the other options I was considering in that class & price range.
I do a lot of motorcycle touring, and I figured that eventually I'd get caught in a downpour before I'd have a chance to put the tank bag cover on, or my slingbags rain fly on. Or just the plain exposure it would surely encounter in that scenario.

It was also great for the peace of mind during our Yellowstone trip this fall, not worrying about being out in the rain, snow, steam, etc.