Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

PEF or DNG file format

Hi

I was just wondering, is there any "quality" difference bewteen Pentax own file format "PEF" or "DNG"? Should ont strive to use PEF if possible or is the resulting RAW file just as good when in DNG format?

Thanks

01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Doesn't much matter from a quality POV. I settled on DNG when the K10 came out and Adobe was slow to support the PEF files from it.
I stayed with DNG and have discovered a few advantages in terms of software compatability (any Adobe RAW converter will open a DNG, but to open a PEF you need to upgrade your Adobe software to a program contemporaneous to the camera).
01-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Both formats contain the same information - albeit in a different format. DNG was a format created by Adobe and is supported by 3rd parties. PEF is a Pentax proprietary format that is also 3rd party supported. DNG may have an edge in terms of being more "standard" than PEF, but there is no difference in the data that would say one file format would create a better image than the other.
01-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Does one create larger files than the other?

01-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Not with enough of a size difference to matter - at least not in my K-x.
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No difference whatsoever in quality of information of the digital negative. The only differences are the file size, DNG is bigger (but memory is cheaper than dirt, so who cares?) and with DNG, you don't need to convert when working with a more standard processing (anything Adobe)

I shoot DNG because I'd rather not add a step in the process from shooting to final product...

By the way, this subject has been beaten to death for the past few years on this forum. A little searching using the "search" function here will yield probably more reading than you have the weekend to finish.

Jason
01-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Doesn't much matter from a quality POV. I settled on DNG when the K10 came out and Adobe was slow to support the PEF files from it.
I stayed with DNG and have discovered a few advantages in terms of software compatability (any Adobe RAW converter will open a DNG, but to open a PEF you need to upgrade your Adobe software to a program contemporaneous to the camera).
but there is an adobe dng converter that will convert PEF to DNG (although this is an additional step in work flow) so you can still shoot PEF even if the software you use does not support it.

this is what I do with K7 files for PSP X2
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before the K-x (and K-7?) DNG's were uncompressed and notably larger.

With the K-x I use DNG so years down the line RAW converters will work flawlessly with my files, and any improvements in RAW converting I can take advantage of.

Also, it insures the RAW converter profile is right as it is embedded in the DNG, whereas PEF has several options in LR "Camera Standard, Pentax 1.0, Adobe Standard"

01-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving this to the Beginner's forum, as this is an extremely common question. Please check out the dozens of existing threads on this topic for more information on the tradeoffs, but the bottom line is, they are minor differences that will be inconsequential for msot people. Both formats contins the same RAW image data, they just package it differently.
01-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
A quick note.. I did do a search for "pef or dng", the results that came up (at least judging from the titles of the postings) didnt seem quite relevant hence my post. Guess I will be more careful before posting in the future
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Be a little more creative or general in your search terms. they are there, trust me.

Jason
01-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The built in search engine on this forum isn't the greatest, but you can also search using Google. If you want to limit results to just this site, use "siteentaxforums.com". But really, sine the topic is also frequently discussed on dpreview and elsewhere, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to limit the search in that way. Just typing "pef dng differences" into Google yielded a whole slew of relevant hits.
11-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nyt minulla on K-5 , otin muutaman koekuvan PEF tiedsto muodolla.
Kun minulla on Mac ja siinä Aperture 3 , eipä suostunut aukeamaan kuvat.
Aperture on hyvä ohjelma joten en käytä sitä joka tuli Pentax mukana.
Kokeilin muutaman DNG , nämä kyllä aukeaa , mutta kun olenkäyttänyt
PEF Tiedostomuoto K20D oli oikein hyvä ja luotettava, että haluaisin jatkaa
tätä PEF muotoa. Varmaan tarvitsen ajurin tälle RAW muodolle. Onkohan tietoa,
onko jo saatavana kyseistä ajuria.