Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

Nooby with grainy photos

Hi,
Just started taking simple photos with my K2000 (18-55 lense) and all the photos are very "grainy" (see attached).
current settings:
JPEG REC. PIXELS 10M
Sensitivity 3200
JPEG quality ***
JPEG

Where do I start? I expected very clear photos and need help. Thanks

01-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You have ISO set at 3200, try 400 to start with. The lower the number the less grain you will get but the more light you will need.
A good read of the manual will help you. If you've already read it, read it again.

There are no pictures attached by the way.
01-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome plucci!
Is it just me or I can't really see anything attached?
Shooting at high ISO and at low light usually produces grainy pix.
Now, if I can only see the picture attached then we can see it for sure!
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

There are no pictures attached by the way.
Aha! So, it is not just me!
Whew!!! I thought there for a moment that something was wrong with my browser or something.

01-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Grainy photos

Sorry - struggling to save the photo to a format that meets the file size limitations.
The ISO change made a huge difference.
Can someone suggest ideal settings for shooting basketball action photos with a 18-55 lense? Is there a way I can determine the quality of the photo while taking it, so I don't have to go through this trial and error process. The photos looked fine on the veiwfinder.
Read the 300 pg maual??? I have read many sections including the troubleshooting section to resolve this issue - no good suggestions found.
But, you helped me and I will return for more help in the future! Thanks!
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by plucci Quote
Sorry - struggling to save the photo to a format that meets the file size limitations.
The ISO change made a huge difference.
Can someone suggest ideal settings for shooting basketball action photos with a 18-55 lense? Is there a way I can determine the quality of the photo while taking it, so I don't have to go through this trial and error process. The photos looked fine on the veiwfinder.
Read the 300 pg maual??? I have read many sections including the troubleshooting section to resolve this issue - no good suggestions found.
Ideal settings with that lens would be ISO 3200 and grainy pictures probably. It doesn't have a wide enough aperture.

Get a good book like Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' or 'Understanding Photography Field Guide'.

The issue isn't with your camera, it's your lack of experience. Trial and error will only get you so far, the books will help you progress beyond that. It's fine to ask questions here but at the moment you don't necessarily know what are the best questions to ask. A good book will answer those questions for you. Consider us as backup to the books.

Here's some help with uploading images - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-read-first-how-post-up...de-images.html

more reading I'm afraid.
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shooting hoops is hard. I'm not sure what level you're shooting but the light in a lot of those gyms is really atrocious. I shoot my daughters games with a fast 50mm prime at around f3.5 and a shutter speed of 1/320s or faster to eliminate motion blur. I let the K20D take ISO as high as it wants. My shots are grainy and I use pretty heavy handed Noise Reduction in PP. The results aren't SI quality but I figure, as long as I'm catching good action, a little waxiness in the skin texture isn't a huge deal.

Last edited by dadipentak; 01-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "grain" (actual term: noise) would have been visible on the LCD after taking the picture had you zoomed in.

Anyhow, low light is hard. You need fast shutter speeds to avoid blur, but there are only to ways to get fast shutter speeds: wide apertures (low f-numbers) or high ISO. And the 18-55 doesn't allow particular wide apertures. That's why you see people talking about getting "fast" lenses - lenses with maximum apertures of f/2.8 or better, rather than f/5.6, which is all the 18-55 can do at the long end (it's a little better in the middle of the range). these lenses are called "fast" because they allow faster shutter speeds. But realistically, even with faster lenses, you'll still need high ISO. You'll just have to experiment to find the best balance - where you can set ISO to give you an acceptable tradeoff between noise from high ISO and blur from low shutter speeds.

01-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed, there. Especially on what to expect shooting basketball with a lens that slow: 'graininess' is a lot better than the other tradeoffs.

Personally, I was never opposed to 'grain' in the first place, the only question being 'does it look pleasant,' ...especially with indoor sports, it's not the object of the game for it to not look like a photograph, if you asked me. Just concentrate on hitting your shots for now, given what you're working with.

I actually shoot a lot of high-ISO when I don't even need to, ...I like some texture, ....as long as it doesn't look like bad TV reception or an ersatz film grain effect or something. Especially in monochrome, the noise isn't too unpleasant, as far as I'm concerned. I'm OK up to 3200 on my K20d, mostly: 6400 tends to be a wash, cause of patterns that'll crop up.

RML's Rule One of Photography: Get The Shot.

Lighting conditions in most non-pro basketball venues are usually ones where you don't get to pick and choose your ISO ratings. Just do what you have to.
01-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed you've exceeded the kit lens's capabilities in capturing a sharp action shot in low light conditions. This is why upgrading to a 'faster' lens with larger maximum aperture is valuable. Until camera bodies come out with manageable noise at ISO 12800, there is no other substitute to get good action photos.