Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I apparently have more questions, both about the K7/K20d, and about myself as a photographer before I purchase.

Thanks to everyone for their insight. Much appreciated.

01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
SMC: I love the size and there are extra features that I like, such as mirror lockup

Mirror lock-up is on our K20ds.

QuoteQuote:
brofkand I apparently have more questions, both about the K7/K20d, and about myself as a photographer before I purchase.

Thanks to everyone for their insight. Much appreciated.
You are welcome--Just make sure all your questions are answered, BEFORE, you cough up any more money.
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am going tomorrow to buy my camera!

Any last tips?
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If their answer to meeting an online price is no, then ask what could they do? Let them know that you are prepared to purchase. Also, compare the K7 against the K20 on the counter top. That way, you can give them a little room to deal, and then you can choose between the two, and the price.

01-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I am conflicted because I want to give the local store the business, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Paying sticker I would pay almost $500 more than I would pay ordering from Adorama. That's hard to swallow, even under the guise of supporting local business.
I'd say tell them exactly this. You know their costs are higher too, so find out if you can meet somewhere in the middle.
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just came back from the camera shop. Luckily my card didn't work; there is a spending limit on my debit card because it is a student account. And since today is a holiday I couldn't call and verbally approve the charge to override the limit.

Is the Mack plan worth it? They said it covers everything except malicious abuse, theft, and fire for three years. For $200. Seems worth it, but I don't know. Aren't cameras pretty reliable, at least during the first three years? Looking for feedback here. At the very least, if I drop the camera and break it, it should be covered. I also get 2 free sensor cleanings a year (24-hour turnaround)

This was the lowest they could go. The best they could do was to take $100 off the body, so $1199 for the body, $599 for the lens, $200 for the warranty. Factor in $130 deduction for the lens I will trade in, and the total was $2019. Adorama's prices are $1050 for the body, $540 for the lens, $150 for the warranty. No tax, $14 shipping. Total: $1749, without trading in the lens. I can afford to add one of those nice fast SD cards, a better strap, maybe even a battery grip and still come out ahead at Adorama.

But now I feel really bad because I used the rep's time for about an hour, and walked away empty handed. He has the stuff on hold for me until tomorrow. I will call the bank in the morning and approve the charge, so my card would work.
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not advise getting an extended warranty. If your camera makes it to two years without a problem, it will easily make it another three. That is what Mack banks on. Sensor cleaning is a breeze -- just get a Giotto Rocket Blower and it will take care of dust that gets on the sensor. I would strongly consider getting your SD Card on Amazon -- a 16 GB card there costs about 40 dollars.

01-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I wouldn't get the ext warranty either. As Rondec said, if the electronics last past base warranty, you should be fine. If you want some feel good, you'd be better off insuring your equipment IMO.

Talk to your insurance agent about options. If the camera lasts beyond base warranty, at least for me, would likely come from what the extended warranty people would call malicious abuse. I deal with those "extended warranties" offered by 3rd parties all the time. Every one I've experienced is nothing more than an insurance policy with a lot more strings attached.

I pay about $35/yr for all of my gear, zero deductible, replacement cost. If anything gets damaged, they pay for a new one. If it is a hard to find lens out of production, they hunt another down and get it. If they can't get it, they offer to get a comparable.
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The big thing that bothers me about the Mack warranty is they don't cover malicious abuse, but they cover accidental abuse.

The thing is, it gives them an out when I think about it: if I drop a camera, all they have to do is say it is malicious abuse, even though it was completely accidental.

Is this through your homeowner's insurance? I am only 22 so I don't have any insurance other than car insurance and renter's insurance. I will speak to my renter's insurance agent about adding riders on for my devices.

Thanks for the tip!
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The other thing is that if you buy with a credit card, many credit card companies automatically extended warranties for a year past the original warranty. Something to look at.
01-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now you may call me a Pentaxian. I just ordered my K-7 with the kit 18-55 and a 35 2.8 macro from B&H. Should be here Friday or Monday.

Lord that was a ton of money. At least I'll get $200 back...
01-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. Another pentaxion close to me. One day I hope to have a k7 or the next one after. Still working my techniques though.
01-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
frooggy, I am right down the road from you as we speak at UNC-Charlotte
01-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Contact the insurance agent that you have your car and renter's insurance through. Tell them about your recent purchase and ask if your renter's insurance covers the camera outside of the apartment. I risked not having renters ins through college(dumb and probably cost me more in the end), so I don't know what that covers.

Homeowner's provides a limited level of protection, but I wasn't satisfied with it, so I took out a "personal articles policy" I pay a whopping $3.33/mo for a zero deductible complete protection on all my equipment. I haven't told them about the last two lens purchases, so when I do that, my cost might go up $0.50/mo.