Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Talking Down Camera Shops?

I have been saving my shekels for about a year now and I will be ready to buy my K7 and 50mm pretty soon.

I am going to go to my local camera store, Biggs Camera in Charlotte, NC to buy the camera. The people there are very good to me, and I want to give them business against some anonymous store in NYC that really could get by without my business.

That said, has anyone had success in bickering down prices at camera stores? I am a college student, so I "think" I will get 10% off (I got it off when I bought film, a Holga, etc, but those are pretty high-margin items).

What I need to know is, should I ask for a discount on the camera? I am prepared to pay sticker, but nobody wants to pay more than they have to.

Also, should I get the extended warranty for the camera/lenses they offer? I know extended warranties for Macs is worth it, but I don't know about cameras.

Thanks!

01-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Ask if they'll match online pricing.
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am willing to pay more than Adorama. I doubt it's feasible for an independent shop to match Adorama, since they can't negotiate with the kind of volume that the big guys can. It would be nice if they could, but I'm not counting on it.

For example, a K7 with the kit 18-55 and a 50 1.4 can be had for $1500 on Adorama, free shipping and no tax. Does that sound unreasonable for an independent shop in a medium-sized city? I don't really know.
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Independent stores should be willing to negotiate on price. Wheatfield's suggestion is a good one but manufacturers don't tend to make it easy for them to do so on cameras though. What you'll probably find is that the store would be prepared to offer discounts on accessories to make up for that so a lot might depend on what your initial purchase over and above the camera consists of.
Extended warranties are a bit like insurance and can be more of a peace of mind thing than actual financial benefit. It depends on the cost and whether you think it is worth it really I think.

01-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
brofkand: I am willing to pay more than Adorama. I doubt it's feasible for an independent shop to match Adorama, since they can't negotiate with the kind of volume that the big guys can. It would be nice if they could, but I'm not counting on it.
Wheatfield is right--ask them! I doubted it too, until my local, tiny dealer surprised me by matching on line deals. It will not hurt to ask. You did entitle this thread "Talking down camera dealers," did you not? Why then are you willing to pay more? You seem conflicted?

QuoteQuote:
brofkand: What I need to know is, should I ask for a discount on the camera?
?????
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am conflicted because I want to give the local store the business, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Paying sticker I would pay almost $500 more than I would pay ordering from Adorama. That's hard to swallow, even under the guise of supporting local business.
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Then, just ask them if they will match on line deals--it is that simple. All they can do is say either "yes" or "no." You have nothing to lose. In my case, I did not even have to ask. I simply told them I bought a K20d @ Adorama--they asked "Why did you do that?" I said, "Because it was a great deal." They said. "Next time, come to us and we will match it."
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand that. I don't know why I am making so much of it. I guess I am just excited that I am getting a new camera soon; and don't want to pay more than I have to.

01-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay, alright, the "Pre-camera-possession jitters!" That sure explains it--no problem. Anticipation is a great thing. I remember how excited I was before I got my K20d. The K7 is an even better camera by most people's account--you must be nearly trembling. Things will not subside until you get the darn thing in your hands and start shooting.

Best of luck with your new camera.
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What makes it worse is that I currently have a Nikon D40 with a few lenses. The D40 is a great camera, but it's shortcomings show itself even more when I stare at the spec sheet for the K7. I still haven't held it in my hands yet.

The biggest decision is should I go for the K7, or go for the K20? I think they still have a K20d in stock, and it should be a pretty good price.
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it were my decision, I would buy the K20d, pocket the cash, and buy some better glass with it. Don't get me wrong, the improvements on the K7 are significant, but I am very happy with the K20d--love that sensor.

When the K7's come down, well then that will be a different story.
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I am conflicted because I want to give the local store the business, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Paying sticker I would pay almost $500 more than I would pay ordering from Adorama. That's hard to swallow, even under the guise of supporting local business.
My point is, you have opened, in a very polite way, a process of negotiation that might net you a lower price from the camera store, even if it is not as low as you could get from Adorama.
The local store that I buy from (I buy almost nothing via mail order BTW) is willing to match prices from internet stores, and has the added advantage to me of being a full service camera store.
I don't have to deal with the pain that is mail order, and they get the support of local photographers.
Even if they don't match the faceless NYC box, they might have enough room to move that they can attract you.
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
If it were my decision, I would buy the K20d, pocket the cash, and buy some better glass with it. Don't get me wrong, the improvements on the K7 are significant, but I am very happy with the K20d--love that sensor.

When the K7's come down, well then that will be a different story.
My only hangup with that is I am investing in older technology. Digital SLRs aren't like film; you can't just slap Ektar 100 or PanF in a K1000 and have IQ akin to a brand new camera.

And that's what really bothers me about digital. I am still not 100% sure it makes financial sense to buy a new digital. I love my Mamiya M645 and the results I get with Ektar 100 and FP4+. Here I am backpedaling.
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was lucky enough to buy my K7 at a local store for less than what I could get it online. You should factor in online shipping costs when comparing prices (if shipping is not free). There are a few benefits when buying local and I would concider spending a little more than the cheapest online price. My camera is registered through the store. If there is an issue, they deal with Pentax on my behalf. I'm not sure what your local shop is like but the folks here have been into photography for a long time and know what they are talking about. You can get some advice and tips that you won't get from the online retailors.

Let us know how you make out.
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Re the K7 or K20d issue, you would be happy with either (I have both). If you are going to hang onto one for a long time, I personally would spend a little extra and get the K7. It isn't a huge leap beyond the K20d but I am getting better shots, I love the size and there are extra features that I like, such as mirror lockup, a better viewfinder and display among others.