Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-7 & Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f1.4

I have a K-7 and just received my new Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f1.4 lens. I started to use it and I am very impressed by the low light capability of the the lens as well as the color for indoor photographs.

I have several questions. In absence of instructions manual, I turn to the experienced pentaxians for these queries:

+ Would you know if there exists a instruction manual (more detailed that the 1 page leaflet from Cosina)?

+ In P-mode, when I switch on the camera, the camera asks to input the focal length: .. 50, 55, 65 .. mm. I used 55 mm as default.
Is it correct to use 55 mm? Is there any way to input 58 mm?
I seem to have to enter the focal length every time I switch on the K-7.
Is it normal?

+ With the lens aperture ring set on A (Auto), what camera mode would you recommend? P or Av mode ?

+ Conversely, with a manual aperture selection, what camera mode would you recommend: P, Av, ...?

Additonnally, I would be most grateful fo any comment/suggestion/advice that you could have. Thank you in advance.

01-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have a K-7 and just received my new Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f1.4 lens. I started to use it and I am very impressed by the low light capability of the the lens as well as the color for indoor photographs.

I have several questions. In absence of instructions manual, I turn to the experienced pentaxians for these queries:

+ Would you know if there exists a instruction manual (more detailed that the 1 page leaflet from Cosina)?

You don't need a manual for the lens it is simply a manual focus lens that is chipped so that the camera can change the aperture when the lens is in Auto mode.

+ In P-mode, when I switch on the camera, the camera asks to input the focal length: .. 50, 55, 65 .. mm. I used 55 mm as default.
Is it correct to use 55 mm? Is there any way to input 58 mm?
I seem to have to enter the focal length every time I switch on the K-7.
Is it normal?
That is normal and will be the same for any mode. It's for the shake reduction and 55 is correct, you should always go under rather than over when the numbers do not match.

+ With the lens aperture ring set on A (Auto), what camera mode would you recommend? P or Av mode ?
Any mode you like it depends what you are used to.

+ Conversely, with a manual aperture selection, what camera mode would you recommend: P, Av, ...?
M (my preference) or AV

Additonnally, I would be most grateful fo any comment/suggestion/advice that you could have. Thank you in advance.
Read your camera manual. Read a book about exposure and photography in general, Bryan Peterson has written a couple - 'Understanding Exposure' and 'Digital Photography Field Guide'. Go out and have fun taking pictures, try different settings, see what works and what doesn't.