Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #1

Would you buy a refurbished K10D?

I am just wondering if any of you would consider buying a refurbished camera. Best buy is offering a K10D for $379 refurbished ,I got a $250 best buy gift card for Christmas and I am thinking about getting it. DO you guys think this is a good deal?

PENTAX - Factory-Refurbished 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K10D

01-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think you can buy with confidence. A refurbished one should have been checked individually for full functionality whereas new ones are only checked randomly in QC.
The warranty is the only real possible downside but you may find that Best Buy offer a separate extended warranty that shouldn't cost too much.

Moving to Beginners Corner where it will have the most benefit.
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes from me too.
Couldn't get a better camera for a total cost (to you) of $129!!!
I still have mine and it's staying with me - worth a lot more to me than the money it goes for thesedays...
01-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not to mention this camera has been to space in nothing but a damn box...

01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

I bought a "refurbished", "salesperson-use model" K110D on Ebay for $185 with the kit lens. It sure looked brand spanking new to me. I even got the full warrantee. The only difference I could find was a sticker on the box that said "Refurbished". I think some of the "refurbished" issue is related to items that they cannot sell new because the box was opened at some point, or the unit was sent to a sales person or a store and returned, or some other issue that does not allow them to sell it as New.

I have bought refurbished electronics for decades and have never had a problem.
01-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Refurbished simply means it was checked thoroughly to make sure looks and works brand new.
Some of it were returns or defective. Those defective ones are given a once, twice, maybe even thrice over checks to make sure it gets the factory refurbished "like new" seal.
Not only is it cheaper but also checked out and tested thoroughly than the regular cameras that come out of the factory.
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I did buy my K20D from Bestbuy as refurbished. However I did have problems getting sharp pictures. I sent it to the Pentax repair service, got it fixed and now I am a happy person. But after reading other people's experiences, I thought mine was an exception. I would buy the refurbished camera
01-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

If it's any help i would probably pick a refurb over a secondhand one from ebay or a forum. At lease with a refurb you should have some recourse on te company.

The K10D is a great camera, i have mine still as well as the K7 and still use it alongside the K7, its a perfectly capable camera for the money if you cant stretch for a K-X or K-7.

01-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
mothy

Yes (EDIT: Maybe). I bought a refurbished K10D from bestbuy.com in December. Although I wasn't happy with their customer service, the camera itself looks brand new and seems to work properly (I haven't fully explored all the features).

Here's what Pentax has to say in the camera literature: "Refurbished Merchandise is product that has been sold or delivered to a dealer, customer or used for a sales demonstration by the Pentax sales force and returned to Pentax Imaging Company. This product is subjected to a rigorous inspection by Pentax-trained technicians to meet all function/performance criteria applicable to identical new merchandise." The warranty is 90 days.

According to PhotoME (exif data software), my K10D had about 100 shutter actuations when I received it. Also, my camera didn't have firmware updates (you can see what firmware a K10D has by turning it on while pressing the Menu button). If you need updates, you can get them here: Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site . And despite the contradictory "Preparation" info stating that you need to have firmware versions 1.00 through 1.20 before you can add 1.30, just download 1.30 and you'll get them all at once.

EDIT Feb. 1, 2010: Oops! I may have spoken too soon. After having focusing issues, my K10D is now at Pentax for service...

EDIT Feb. 23, 2010: After 3 weeks I got my K10D back from Pentax service (C.R.I.S.). They did NOT fix the problem and weren't helpful. Thus, my camera is handicapped but still functional. And I've decided it's not worth the time and effort to pursue the repair of my minor focus problem. I'm not willing to miss a month of early spring flowers due to an uncertain resolution.

So, knowing what I know now, would I still buy a refurbished - or any - Pentax?
Maybe.
Despite the trouble, I like my K10D very much. It's my first dslr and I chose it because of its features, solid build and compatibility with older Pentax lenses - as well as its bargain price. Because of (historic) Pentax virtues, I'd at least consider Pentax again. But, I'd have to be getting a pretty good deal to say yes.

Before buying, I guess I'd give the usual advice: Read every review you can find and check forums such as this one for feedback on customer service. And then cross your fingers that you'll never need to use it!

Last edited by mothy; 02-23-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: updated circumstances
01-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

YES!

I bought a refurb K20 from BB, I think it was actually "new".