Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats a steady shot at such a low shutter speed. I just got my new 55-300 lens and im having even more trouble with steadiness. I will have to practice more. Im gonna have to download the firmware after i get the steady shot thing down a little better to see the real improvement in the update.

The thing is, when i do these advised postures, my darn hands are still showing those minor minor sways. Is this the same for everyone? Like someone mentioned, sr and shake elimination are two different things.

01-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What I was taught in school several years ago was to never shoot slower than your focal length, ie: 60mm @ a min. 1/60 sec. or 120mm @ 1/120 sec.
Another pointer was to release the shutter right after you exhale as opposed to holding your breath.
01-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah i read that too in popular photography. It said that while its true for 35mm. For a apsc sensor youll porbably be safer with 1/120th for a 60mm since the smaller sensor magnifies camera shake.
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
Thats a steady shot at such a low shutter speed. I just got my new 55-300 lens and im having even more trouble with steadiness. I will have to practice more. Im gonna have to download the firmware after i get the steady shot thing down a little better to see the real improvement in the update.

The thing is, when i do these advised postures, my darn hands are still showing those minor minor sways. Is this the same for everyone? Like someone mentioned, sr and shake elimination are two different things.
But that's the whole point, it wasn't a steady shot at all. I was suffering from every type of encumbrance possible short of an earthquake, and yet the shot still came out sharp. The same attempt at shooting that sign last week (before I did the firmware update) resulted in blur. I owe that shot to the improved SR performance, not to my stable hands. I do not have stable hands, I would've been a terrible surgeon.

I can't imagine how many patients would have died had I attempted to operate on them

01-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's comforting to know