Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Forum Member

Thanks Moon_man for the picture. So that type of diffuser seems to work very well.
Also thanks SoldBear for the DIY diffuser ideas.
I like handicrafts too and I already made a "bouce thing" like the "Better bounce card" with some foam sheet I had at home. It works OK, but it doesn't work like a light diffuser. I didn't experiment with it much, only at home and my ceilling is white so not the situation I wanted to test. But one reaction I get from my wife... she started laughing when appeard in the living room with that big white card on the top of the flash.

01-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I promised to post photos of my latest cheapo diffuser. So here they are.

This diffuser does not need a ceiling to bounce the light against.

The dimensions are 5.5"X14". It is half of a 11"X14" sheet of plastic canvas (less than 50 cents a sheet at your local craft stores):

I attach some strips of Velcro tape and elastic band to attach it to the flash head:

The setup in horizontal shooting position (flash head straight up, rotating 90 degrees):

The setup in vertical shooting position (the whole thing is rotated by 90 degrees for sure):

Some test photos (all are JPEG files from K-7, resized only, no any other post-processing).

A - No diffuser:

A - With diffuser:

B - No diffuser:

B - With diffuser:

C - No diffuser:

C - With diffuser:

01-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tissue Diffuser

The Tissue diffuser idea is gold!

Was taking some photos at the office of a unit for a brochure and was not liking the results. Threw a tissue over the flash and bingo - great results!
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
efg

Photos: Gallery
Thanks!

Jodiespost, I just wanted to thank you for the tip and the link. It came yesterday and I am just thrilled to have something so cheap work so well! It fits on perfectly and I really like what it can do.

What I like most is that if there are times when I don't have a tripod (there will be many) and try not to use the flash, it's a no go....

so I will often have to use it, but it's harsh....

but now I have the diffuser! So much nicer....

Thanks so much for the info.

Forgot to add info: All taken Av mode, f5.6, ISO 400, speed 1st one 1/2 sec, 2nd two 1/30. The only PP was USM (same level on all 3).

Last edited by efg; 01-20-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Adding info
01-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hey, np glad it works great. It also does wonders to skin tones. Enjoy it!