Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just found out how much Diffusers Help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This tread is mostly for newbies here. I just purchased a Gary Fong Popup Flash Diffuser wannabe from ebay for about 3.50. It does wonders! Even skin tone colors come out looking much much more natural. It almost completely eliminated the harsh shadows associated with popup flashes. As it was another great discovery I wanted to share

ps - congratulate me, I ordered the DA 55-300 from B&H for 349.99, pretty good deal I must say

EDIT: I got it here

Pop-Up Flash Diffuser FOR PENTAX

Last edited by joodiespost; 01-05-2010 at 09:54 AM.
01-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I often wondered how much benefit a diffuser would give, thanks for sharing!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 55-300mm is currently benefiting from a manufacturer-authorized discount, so every Pentax reseller can sell it at that price The ones that don't are either not official Pentax resellers, or they're keeping the extra profits for themselves. Most of the other Pentax lenses are benefiting from the same discounts too, have been for weeks.
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh okay well I guess I'm glad I didn't get ripped off ^^
01-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Igilligan

Rules are rules

You cant post a thread about a 3.50 pop up flash diffuser and not post a link to it...

I dont like to take the darn bohemouth of a flash sometimes but would like a 3.50 way to make the pop up softer... other than tissue duct taped to the flash.

Thanks for the link in advance

01-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
You cant post a thread about a 3.50 pop up flash diffuser and not post a link to it...

I dont like to take the darn bohemouth of a flash sometimes but would like a 3.50 way to make the pop up softer... other than tissue duct taped to the flash.

Thanks for the link in advance
oops sorry, link posted.
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The amazing part is.... For $3.50, It's being shipped from China. Wonder what the F.O.B. price was?
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Awesome results. The shadow change is very impressive.

01-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone care to post similar tests with speed light diffusers?
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I would love to see that too
I just bought a Metz 48 and I was amazed with the difference in light quality, when bouncing it on a white ceilling. But sometimes we don't have a white ceilling. Can we get the same tipe of light with one of this diffusers

Thank's in advance. And sorry joodiespost for using your topic for my question.
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rupi Quote
I would love to see that too
I just bought a Metz 48 and I was amazed with the difference in light quality, when bouncing it on a white ceilling. But sometimes we don't have a white ceilling. Can we get the same tipe of light with one of this diffusers

Thank's in advance. And sorry joodiespost for using your topic for my question.
No, you cannot emulate a reflector with several square meters area with a tiny add-on thingy. But nevertheless it can help a bit. The Omnibounce-look-a-like is a useful piece of equipment, because it spreads the light all around, thus inducing reflections from almost everywere around, which softens shadows. Also it gives even illumination for wide-angle shots.

Ben
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Light diffusers can cost next to nothing. Electrons and photons don't cost much either.

Read this thread and this thread.

I found a better solution if there is no ceiling to bounce the light against: using the same 11"X14" sheet of plastic canvas (as in the first thread referred to above), I half it lengthwise to make two strips of 5.5"X14". I take one trip, fold it to make a dome, and attach it to the flash head tilting 90 degrees (shining straight up) and rotate 90 degrees. I'll post some photos later if I have a chance.
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Diffusers are everywhere

With a little imagination, you can find all sorts of things to bounce light off of.

I saw in a book, once, a photographer was trying to shoot some informal shots of the bride and groom at a wedding. Since he was not at his formal setup, where he had all kinds of expensive umbrellas and softboxes, he improvised. They were in a large church and the walls and ceiling were too far away to use, so he grabbed one of the groomsmen, had him open his tuxedo jacket and bounced the light of his white shirt. The picture didn't turn out half bad. It was certainly much better than direct, on-camera flash would have been.
01-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Rupi - I bought a snap-on diffuser for my Metz 48 on Ebay (from Taiwan) for $9.99 including shipping when I couldn't find one at a reasonable cost here. It fits perfectly and works, well, like you would expect it to work.

Here's one where I used a diffuser to get a nice, soft effect.

Last edited by Moon_man; 01-06-2010 at 09:37 AM.
01-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For $3.50 I couldn't say no. I'll post up some results here when I receive it!
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Just looked at that pop-up diffuser - it's a pretty cool looking item. Gonna get me one of those - $3.50 is dirt cheap.