Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How often do I have honest-to-God drops of my camera, not counting little bumps and bangs? Twice, in almost 40 years of shooting. One time, I was able to take the bottom off the camera, knock out the dents, and get it running again. The second time resulted in a trip to the repair shop. Keep a strap on your camera...keep a hand on the strap...and try not to drop your camera. These things don't bounce well. lol

01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All these stories very are hard to take in ^^ The funny thing is, like Paul mentioned, my strap got caught in something as I grabbed the camera. I now made it a habit to see if the strap is free before I lift it up
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think in both of my cases it was BECAUSE of the strap...
Exactly! AFAIC, a strap is a hazard, not a help.
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Banned

I guess mine is double tough. I bought a K20D from a forum member that had taken a small fall off of his tripod. Had a tiny (Never would have noticed) crack near the tripod mount which I fixed with some plasti-weld. A week after buying it I was picking up the camera from the floor after tying a shoe. I had my foot on the strap and when I picked it up it caught and ripped it from my hands and it fell against a cinder block on the floor. The only damage was a crack in the notch of the hood of my 55-300 that locks it to the lense. A couple of minutes with some plast-weld and it's like new. Pretty darned durable camera IMHO.

01-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I find that a good maintenance plan is to drop the camera from a height of 1 foot +/- 6 inches onto a hard surface 3 times per year to verify shockproofness.
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Never!
I take good care of my stuff.
The only equipment I have that would have scratches or bumps on them are usually the ones I bought from others second hand.
When I get them new..it usually stays like new.
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My K-X is my first DSLR camera and I've only had it for 3 weeks or so. I am super PARANOID about dropping it, to the point where I've forced myself to always have the strap around my neck before even opening the lens cap! It's kinda OCD'ish, but I intend to keep my baby for a long time.

01-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I once dropped a lens cap and freaked out.

It's worth putting the strap on whenever you pick up your camera... just to be sure. We spend a fair bit of money on this rewarding hobby and it's fine to blame Pentax for SDM failures and bad lens copies, but when it's your own fault... the sympathy is out the door!
01-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

technically, I didn't drop my camera. it fell down because one of the tripod's legs gave in. since then, I never considered buying a relatively unknown branded tripod and always buy something with steady legs.
01-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
technically, I didn't drop my camera. it fell down because one of the tripod's legs gave in. since then, I never considered buying a relatively unknown branded tripod and always buy something with steady legs.
now thats a scary thought. i bought the cheapest tripod I could find on ebay for around 24 dollars
01-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #26
Damn Brit

I'm so scared of dropping my camera I've never taken it out of the box.
Can I borrow yours this week please?
01-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
You guys have me paranoid now.
Bought my first film camera in 85 and so far no dropped cameras. I have dropped a flash and a lens once or twice, but I have always managed to get a foot under them to cushion the fall. So far no damage.
Now if I drop something in the near future, I'm blaming you lot...
01-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
?

I think in both of my cases it was BECAUSE of the strap, bottom line, be careful!
That is precisely why I use one of these rather than a neck strap. A neck strap not around your neck (or at least double-wrapped around your wrist) is nothing more than a device for snatching your camera out of your hand and smashing it on the ground.

Other great features of this device is that it is quickly and easily transferable between cameras and that when not it use it fits very easily into a pocket.
01-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that looks like it can still easily slip out of your hands
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I drop mine as often as I can.
It hasn't happened as of yet........knock on wood.