Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How often do you drop your camera?

Just wondering. Is it a yearly thing or bi yearly or what? How much of a drop can this thing take? K-x

01-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Try it and see, get back to us with safe heights and surfaces will you?
The object is to not drop your camera, that's why there are things called straps and bags. They are for camera protection, the only weak link is you.
01-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prior to this morning I would have said "I'm always very careful to use the strap etc so I hope to never drop my K-x", however... - it just happened this morning! Can't believe your timing with the question!

I have one of those camera packs that hinges in the middle to get access to everything and also has a flap on the side to just get the camera out. Last night I took the camera out of the flap and then later put it back into the main compartment of the bag.... but forgot to close the flap! Unfortunately its not obvious that it is undone (looks closed).
Anyway was carrying the bag into the garage and the camera fell out on to the concrete floor complete with 55-300 lense. If anyone had seen my face it would not have been a pretty sight! How could I be so stupid!!! I was rather upset to say the least (really loving this camera) until I started to examine the camera looking for damage (which I expected there to be plenty of). The amazing thing is that apart from a couple of tiny scuffs in the plastic on the lense and body (which I expect would appear over time anyway) - there was no damage!!! Tested it all out and all good. Can't even relate how relieved I was.
The bag was not quite up on my shoulder but the camera + lense fell about 2 - 3 feet on to the concrete.

Lesson: IF YOU HAVE A PACK AND TAKE THE CAMERA OUT OF THE SIDE FLAP THEN DON"T FORGET TO CLOSE IT!

PS... Probably going to have reoccuring nightmares about this now!
01-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is amazing, you are one lucky man. And make that 2 for people who dropped their camera today. I wrote this post because I just dropped my K-x on to my carpet floor. It was about a 2.5 foot drop. I was so shocked, I didn't even have an expression on my face like you did I checked to see if everything was okay and it was. If anything, the lens zoom is not as smooth. It is stiff as it leaves and/or comes to 18mm and 55mm. Other than that, everything seems perfectly fine. Im sure things are pretty well mounted inside the camera. I'd say the prism would be one of the most "loose" things in there, and that seems fine so phew~~

01-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Don't count your chickens guys. The electronics in the camera can get a real shaking from a drop and become loose, there's a lot of fragile stuff in there. I'm not trying to upset you, just warning you that there is a potential for a problem to appear after the fact.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Prior to this morning I would have said "I'm always very careful to use the strap etc so I hope to never drop my K-x", however... - it just happened this morning! Can't believe your timing with the question!

I have one of those camera packs that hinges in the middle to get access to everything and also has a flap on the side to just get the camera out. Last night I took the camera out of the flap and then later put it back into the main compartment of the bag.... but forgot to close the flap! Unfortunately its not obvious that it is undone (looks closed).
Anyway was carrying the bag into the garage and the camera fell out on to the concrete floor complete with 55-300 lense. If anyone had seen my face it would not have been a pretty sight! How could I be so stupid!!! I was rather upset to say the least (really loving this camera) until I started to examine the camera looking for damage (which I expected there to be plenty of). The amazing thing is that apart from a couple of tiny scuffs in the plastic on the lense and body (which I expect would appear over time anyway) - there was no damage!!! Tested it all out and all good. Can't even relate how relieved I was.
The bag was not quite up on my shoulder but the camera + lense fell about 2 - 3 feet on to the concrete.

Lesson: IF YOU HAVE A PACK AND TAKE THE CAMERA OUT OF THE SIDE FLAP THEN DON"T FORGET TO CLOSE IT!

PS... Probably going to have reoccuring nightmares about this now!
QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
that is amazing, you are one lucky man. And make that 2 for people who dropped their camera today. I wrote this post because I just dropped my K-x on to my carpet floor. It was about a 2.5 foot drop. I was so shocked, I didn't even have an expression on my face like you did I checked to see if everything was okay and it was. If anything, the lens zoom is not as smooth. It is stiff as it leaves and/or comes to 18mm and 55mm. Other than that, everything seems perfectly fine. Im sure things are pretty well mounted inside the camera. I'd say the prism would be one of the most "loose" things in there, and that seems fine so phew~~
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marking this thread for future marketplace reference..

I am super careful to never ever drop anything, but I know things happen. I dropped an extension tube once righta fter unscrewing it from a lens, phew! I did consciously hold onto the lens tight. I also dropped the DA40mm's hood after unscrewing.
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Maybe I'll make it a Sticky.

01-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

I am super careful to never ever drop anything, but I know things happen.
Well hopefully I will have this camera for a long time and so this won't be an issue!

Yes normally I would probably be one of the ones giving lectures on how to be careful with the camera gear (had an SLR for over 15 years without dropping it or any of the lenses!). The pack was a real GOTCHA!

Have checked it out pretty thoroughly and can't find any issues and nothing rattles that didn't rattle before. So I think I have probably been very lucky. I'm also impressed with the K-x, its obviously stronger than it looks / feels.
01-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
stop it guys stop it! I meant I dropped my friends K-x
01-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no comment to make on this subject.

Well, actually, one of my K20Ds did take a tripod tumble (which is why I bought the second) and had to go to Pentax for repair. I'm glad to report that it's fully recovered.
01-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gary is right. I dropped my K10 and since then, it has a loose connection inside. The AE-L switch seems to click on at the most inopportune moments. Electronics aren't meant to be dropped and truthfully, it is harder on the lenses than the bodies. Use a strap, take your time and be careful!
01-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hasn't been dropped to my knowledge. Touch wood.

My wife seems to, (regularly), leave it upside down on the arm of our leather couch.
01-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

6 months ago, my K7 on its tripod fell over a week after getting it. Down at Cot bay, Cornwall. I won't go into details but my expression wasn't happy.

You have no idea how grateful I am that I had some ND filters on there at the time - the metal mating screwon thingie took the brunt of the entire unhappy accident.
01-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I've written about it elsewhere but this fall I dropped my k20 with my DA*16-50 attached and my Pentax 360 flash attached about a 1 1/2 feet on to the street from my car. The result was a busted flash foot ($6 part self repaired) and because the top of the camera got tweaked when the flash hit the popup flash unit would not stay down. That was a 6 week trip to the shop and about $270 repair job (the part was more than half of it). The lens came out with a nick on the plastic housing but no other issues.

In 2008 I dropped my k10 with kit lens about 3 feet on to tile floor. Result was a destroyed UV filter and a kit lens that still works but not like new. (Anyone want a sort of working DA 18-55?) Note it went lens first right on to the floor. I was impressed that I came away with only the damage to the lens.

Two drops in two years is not good. This year my resolve is to not do it again, ever.
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Twice for me, luckily no permanent damage. First time *ist DL was sitting on some clothes in the car backseat...took a tumble out the door when we were unpacking from the trip.

2nd was K20d, went to set it down and when I turned the strap caught my shoe and it took a little barrel roll down about a foot and a half, bounced down my leg then several rolls on the rocks and almost into the river 20 feet below. Only damage some scrapes to the hood of my 12-24 (which I had just purchased, and almost said goodbye to!). The lens cap ended up in some grass about a foot over the edge, how is that for lucky?

I think in both of my cases it was BECAUSE of the strap, bottom line, be careful!