Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Okay, is this normal?

I have a 18-55 K-x Kit Lens. I don't know if this lens is a quick shift lens but when it's on Auto Focus, I can still move the focus ring after the auto focusing. While I turn it, I feel a smooth and buttery mechanical movement inside. Is this normal?

ps - if it doesn't have quick shift, is it normal for me to be able to rotate it while on auto focus? When I do put it on MF and rotate it, the rotation has much less friction, almost none

Thanks

01-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the Mk I or Mk II (not DA-L) then it has quick shift.
The movement you describe is normal.
If you have a DA-L and are still able to quick shift then lucky you.
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If it's the Mk I or Mk II (not DA-L) then it has quick shift.
The movement you describe is normal.
If you have a DA-L and are still able to quick shift then lucky you.
yes Ash, I have the White K-x with the DAL Kit lens. I just needed to know if I am not forcing something that is not suppose to be rotating while in AF mode. Am I straining the motor or am I really lucky
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you quick shift with a lens that has this feature, it feels loose and you feel no friction against the ring. The DA L doesn't have quick shift so I wouldn't recommend moving the ring when it's on AF. The smooth grind when you move the ring while in AF is normal but you're not supposed to do it as it could wear out the gears of your screw-drive motor.

01-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Dave, that's what i've been thinking. I wonder why they designed it so it's able to rotate even in AF mode. I'd like to hear from other DAL users if this is possible on their lens.
01-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The quick shift lenses disengage once focus has locked, allowing very free fine focusing.
I'd suppose your DAL wouldn't be permitting such easy fine focusing and you may be forcing the AF mechanism by doing so.

Definitely don't risk it.
01-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
thanks Dave, that's what i've been thinking. I wonder why they designed it so it's able to rotate even in AF mode. I'd like to hear from other DAL users if this is possible on their lens.
How much anti-rotation torque do you think you should get from a mechanism that is powered by 4 AA cells? The mechanism provides enough stiffness that so it doesn't move when bumped. But it would take a cog or something to keep if from being turned when "cranked" on.
01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
How much anti-rotation torque do you think you should get from a mechanism that is powered by 4 AA cells? The mechanism provides enough stiffness that so it doesn't move when bumped. But it would take a cog or something to keep if from being turned when "cranked" on.
Given the gearing, you might be surprised.

01-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Given the gearing, you might be surprised.
Nah... the plastic gears will strip first.
01-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don, i initially thought there might be some locking mechnism that would prevent the rotation once focus is achieved.
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

In order for their to be a mechanical lock you'd have to have some sort of pawl that would latch into teeth or some similar mechanism. The problem with that is there would then be discrete steps instead of an infinite number of focus points. What if the actual focus was found to be between two steps of a mechanical lock? You'd either be near-sighted or far-sighted. No one would buy a camera that by design couldn't focus where it needed to be under common circumstances.
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i didn't know a stepping system was necessary for rotation blocking devices. I'm no engineer but are you saying all lenses without quickshift will be overrideable with small force?
01-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I think the force might vary but, yes, I do believe they can all be overridden.
01-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
i didn't know a stepping system was necessary for rotation blocking devices. I'm no engineer but are you saying all lenses without quickshift will be overrideable with small force?
QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
I think the force might vary but, yes, I do believe they can all be overridden.
Yep - in my experience, non quick shift lenses are fairly easy to override, and it sure seems like a bad idea (I've only done it by accident, thinking I was in MF) - especially if you were to try to turn it quickly .
01-08-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yep - in my experience, non quick shift lenses are fairly easy to override, and it sure seems like a bad idea (I've only done it by accident, thinking I was in MF) - especially if you were to try to turn it quickly .

Spot on Heli - it's a great way of letting the smoke out, likely as not from the camera body. Expensive.