Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #1

stuck pixel reccomendations

Hello all. I have a K-7 that is now about a month old. I noticed some stuck pixels on my last batch of photos taken with the camera, and after taking some photos at a low ISO with the lens cap on, I have found 4 red and 2 blue stuck pixels altogether. I noticed that each stuck pixel in effect produces 9 total stuck pixels on the image, as it takes one pixel in distance to blend the red or blue pixel with the rest of the image. I imagine that even with a new camera this is rather typical, but a few of them are bothersome when I zoom in on the image. A red dot the size of 9 pixels is easily seen at a 100% zoom.

I tried the pixel mapping function on the camera, but this did not seem to do anything. Afterward, all the same stuck pixels remained. Also, no noise removal tools I have tried were able to wipe away the stuck pixels. The only sure fire way to get rid of them is to use a healing tool, but that is not very fun to do with hundreds of images.

I am wondering what any of you might know about the pixel mapping function, such as how it works, any risks associated with using it, or if perhaps it needs to be run multiple times. Or has anyone had success with some manual methods, such as flashing a light at the sensor?

Finally, if all else fails, what are some easy and quick ways to get rid of these stuck pixels in PP? Since I always shoot in the same resolution, I figure there must be some way I can plug in the pixel coordinates to some program and have it map out all those stuck pixels in a batch process. Is there any software like that out there?

Any suggestions or links to previous threads discussing this would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot for all your help.

01-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its under warranty...give your dealer a call for replacement/repair instructions.
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were you, I would only worry about why the pixel mapping function isn't getting rid of them.

I know I have some in my creaky old camera, but Adobe Camera RAW helpfully maps them out for me so I almost never see them. This works even in the cheapo Elements version, and is very useful for any camera without mapping. As long as they can be mapped out automatically, they aren't a problem. Even if 1 stuck pixel=9 effective, you have 9x6=54 pixels out of 14,300,000.
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What firmware are you on? Did you upgrade the camera?
Hot pixel mapping on my K-7 did work fine for me.

01-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the help all. I haven't upgraded the firmware yet so it is still 1.0, but that said, I am not sure any updates address the pixel mapping function. When I try the pixel map it doesn't seem to do anything. I see the progress bar screen but the whole operation takes just a fraction of a second. I'll try the firmware update in any case though.

I am trying out Lightroom right now, so maybe it has the same pixel-mapping support as the ACR plugin does -- I just don't see it. In any case, I'll continue to research the issue -- sending it back would only be a last resort. But even though it is just a few pixels, they can be seen in certain situations when I crop the image. It is certainly fixable, but I just want an easy quick way to do it.

thanks again.
01-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ds1848 Quote
thanks for the help all. I haven't upgraded the firmware yet so it is still 1.0, but that said, I am not sure any updates address the pixel mapping function. When I try the pixel map it doesn't seem to do anything. I see the progress bar screen but the whole operation takes just a fraction of a second. I'll try the firmware update in any case though.

I am trying out Lightroom right now, so maybe it has the same pixel-mapping support as the ACR plugin does -- I just don't see it. In any case, I'll continue to research the issue -- sending it back would only be a last resort. But even though it is just a few pixels, they can be seen in certain situations when I crop the image. It is certainly fixable, but I just want an easy quick way to do it.

thanks again.
No, you are wrong.
Firmware version 1.01 solved several hot pixel / hot sensor issues, I'd give it a try.
It is 5 minutes work, why don't you?

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
01-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
hey bymy141 -- I was away for a bit but I tried your recommendation to just upgrade the firmware and it seems to have taken care of the problem, and I didn't even have to re-run the pixel mapping function again. When I looked at the firmware upgrade feature list on the Pentax web site, I did not see anything mentioning pixel mapping --- but in any case, it must have helped out something. Thanks a lot.

01-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ds1848 Quote
hey bymy141 -- I was away for a bit but I tried your recommendation to just upgrade the firmware and it seems to have taken care of the problem, and I didn't even have to re-run the pixel mapping function again. When I looked at the firmware upgrade feature list on the Pentax web site, I did not see anything mentioning pixel mapping --- but in any case, it must have helped out something. Thanks a lot.
Yeah, Pentax does not disclose all problems solved in its firmware releases....
This fix is well known on this forum though.
I'm glad it solved your problems.

Cheers,
- Bert