Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #1

Flickr - Is it useful?

In my on going quest to radically improve my photography this year I have started a project 365 and I want to upload all my photos onto the internet somewhere to show friends, to post here and just as a general record for whoever wants to look at it.

I know a lot of people use Flickr, is it worth the 30 odd quid to sign up for the year or are there better places?

Also I've noticed there's a gallery on this website, are there limits on these galleries?

Cheers

01-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd like the way it allows you to manage the photos, and it allows for smooth hotlinking.
I'm using the free version and like the quality level they keep while resizing and uploading images.
01-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If all you're going to do is to upload 365 shots over the course of one year, then you don't need to get a Pro account; just go free. And I think it's worth it, if only for the moral support you receive from other Project 365ers :-)

I know that's how I got through my Project 365 last year :-D
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using flickr for the past two years and really enjoy it. It's not the only kid on the block but it is great for organizing and sharing photos and the groups are fun to join.

01-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Flickr a lot.
You could make a set called Photo 365 just for that project, and other sets for other photos.

The groups and social networking on Flickr really works well. For example, there are a lot of people doing the photo-a-day thing.
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i loves the flickr i got the pro account because i really wanted to be able to replace a photo, i tend to touch up photos long after i upload them - and also stats is amazing, i love to know what tags are useful, where the search came from, and all that good stuff - but a free account is fine too i guess
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flickr is great - there is the 200 image limit on the free account. Superseded images are not deleted but cannot be linked to or viewed until the total image count on the Flick account is 200 or less. There's where pro comes in.

Otherwise the forum's galleries are just as good provided you keep within the image size and resolution bounds (1Mb and 1024px wide). See the photo albums and gallery info stickies for more details.

01-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Flickr is great - there is the 200 image limit on the free account. Superseded images are not deleted but cannot be linked to or viewed until the total image count on the Flick account is 200 or less. There's where pro comes in.
i'm sure you can upload more than 200, but only 200 will be viewable on the stream "Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images". and also posting to more than 10 groups i like too
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have flickr paid account, and love it. The only thing I wish is that the exif be intact on all sizes, not just the original.
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A lot of people don't like the white background. As flickr has an API for people to use there are ways around this. The easiest in my opinion is just to point people to your photostream on flickriver .

This is mine for example: Flickriver: Photos from waorak

Another cool site for flickr is Get the EXIF statistics from your photos on Flickr

The one other reason I like flickr is that I don't have to use the web interface for uploading photos. I really like the juploadr app.
jUploadr: A photo uploader for Linux,Windows and Mac

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-07-2010 at 05:24 PM.
01-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to be contrary to everyone here, I've been using Google's Picasa for ages. I find it easiest to use for my purposes, I get 1 GB of space for free (regardless of the number of pictures), and extra space costs as little as $5 a year. Linking to pictures in my albums can be completely seamless (just a picture on a page), or can include a link to the picture itself. It can be viewed by everyone and anyone, in many different sizes including the full size original. Unfortunately linked images can only be a maximum of 800px wide, but that's perfect for use in forums like this, and a link to the original picture can easily be included anyways.

It's just as easy to upload pictures to a Picasa account, and all the same EXIF info is saved along with the picture. Plus, thanks to Google Maps, the geotagging is much more seamless and useful. Not to mention that the Picasa editing application itself is pretty handy too, although I never use it myself.

Since I already used Gmail, Google Docs, Google Maps and Google Calendar, it only made sense to use Picasa too. It all works together seamlessly.

On the other hand, I don't recommend that ANYONE use online storage exclusively for saving their pictures. I have all my photos from the last 10+ years saved locally on a hard drive, and I back them up every night on a backup server. which gets backed up annually to optical media and stored away from my own house. After some of the recent blunders by certain companies that provide "cloud computing" services, there's no way I'll ever trust my data exclusively to someone else's server.
01-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have been using flickr for a number of years also and really like it. Really good for sharing the images. I keep my stuff
private but this forum and others have ways to post images from flickr.
I use Photobucket just little also but that site seems to muddy the images just a bit.
I was feeling a little ignored last month when I came to realize how seldom some of my relatives and friends look in on my images on flickr but I just forgot that the photography is
more for my own satisfaction than their's.
I do use Picasa software but now will play in it's photo sharing.
In short - I like flickr.
01-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
I know that's how I got through my Project 365 last year :-D
Superb 365 set, RawheaD. The commentary is as good as the photos.

z
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I love flickr. Helps keep you motivated and inspired. I'm also doing Project 365.
01-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zombieCat Quote
Superb 365 set, RawheaD. The commentary is as good as the photos.

z

Hey, thanks a lot!! The fact that some people actually take the time to read what I write just gives me the thrills :-D