Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #1

Lens help please?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi im josh im pretty new to slr photography. I really enjoy photographing architectural forms and i would like to get a new lens for this form of photogrpahy. i have a K100d Super which came with a standard SMC 1:3.5-5.6 and im wondering what lens would be best for a beginner? any help would be appreciated.

01-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you enjoying architecture a wide-angle lens would be the next logical addition. This could either be something like a fixed focal length lens (aka "prime lens" like the DA 15mm or a zoom lens, like the Sigma 10-20mm or the Pentax 12-24mm.

The zooms are more versatile, a prime lens is faster (larger maximum aperture), offers slightly better image quality (but that would often only be noticeable if compared to really mediocre zooms or under optimum shooting conditions) and is a great educational tool. You'll learn more about perspective, when using a prime lens, because you have to move around to get a larger part of a building into view or to make a shot, concentrating on a small detail.

Ben
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ahh brilliant cheers Ben for your help. would you say fleebay would be the best place to get them. or is there a decent online shop i should know about?
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As you are in Devon(I assume in the UK) a European shop would be the easiest way. In the UK there are several decent mail order shops, like
www.warehouseexpress.co.uk
SRS Microsystems ? Pentax, Nikon and Olympus Digital Cameras, Camera Accessories and Lenses (they also have an ebay store)
and more. I myself have bought of both these shops and got good, fast and reliable service and great prices.

You can also buy off ebay, if a lens is much(!) cheaper than from a local/national dealer, but be aware, that you probably have to pay higher postage, VAT and customs duty on top of the ebay price, which, at the end of the day, may cost more, than buying locally...

But for very low prices there are a few ebay-dealers, which are reliable and so cheap, that I bought from them, despite all the import costs and saved considerably, compared to European prices:

Prodigital2000 in Canada is here: eBay Shop - Prodigital2000: Wir verkaufen Lowepro, Canon, Digital Accessories.

or Cameta Camera in the US: eBay Store - Cameta Camera New York Authorized Dealer of all major brands:

There are certainly a lot more dealer to recommend (like B&H or Adorama), but the lenses I suggested are in a medium price-frame and so at the end of the day, the difference between the UK and overseas is not quite as significant.

Ben

01-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
haha yes i am in the uk. but again thanks for your help. youve given me a right heads up on this lens confusion.

cheers again. Josh
01-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fisk Quote
haha yes i am in the uk. but again thanks for your help. youve given me a right heads up on this lens confusion.

cheers again. Josh
I am sure, you'll have more questions, once you narrowed down your choices…

Ben
01-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your first step would be to use the lens you already have enough to be able to clearly state what exactly about it is not meeting your needs. That would help in deciding what additional lens, if any, you'd need. Eg, maybe you'll decide you need something wider than 18mm, or something wider aperture than f/4 at 24mm, or whatever - but chances are, you'll actually find the kit lens just fine for now.

01-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club, Fisk. I agree with Marc that you have to indicate (or determine) what you're missing in your current setup.

Having said that, your description SMC 1:3.5-5.6 does not really describe your lens. There is a second set of numbers (probably 18-55) that is more descriptive as it indicates the main 'property' of the lens (its focal length). I think the word standard saved you here.
01-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Fisk.
If you just have the kit lens, it should suffice until you know what focal lengths you use most often and what you are inclined to photograph.

Consider the FA 50 f/1.4 lens, which you can't go wrong with no matter the style of photography.
Hope you enjoy your journey.