Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for budget AF film body

I recently bought a Sigma 28mm 1.8 AF for the digital. However I would like to take advantage of it's full frame coverage.
Can anyone suggest an inexpensive used Pentax AF film body, keeping in mind that this will be my only FF AF lens for a while? I'm looking for something:
Reliable
Easy to access manual metering (spot a definite plus)
And not DX cartridge dependent (I bulk load)
Thanks,
Charles

01-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

PZ-1p

-----------
01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
I recently bought a Sigma 28mm 1.8 AF for the digital. However I would like to take advantage of it's full frame coverage.
Can anyone suggest an inexpensive used Pentax AF film body, keeping in mind that this will be my only FF AF lens for a while? I'm looking for something:
Reliable
Easy to access manual metering (spot a definite plus)
And not DX cartridge dependent (I bulk load)
Thanks,
Charles
The SF1, SF1n, or SF10 were the first Pentax AF cameras (except the dead-end ME-F). They are built like tanks. They are very affordable on ebay, although there's always some idiot who thinks his camera is worth $250. They typically sell for $50 or less.

I don't remember whether they are DX coded or not. They probably are, since DX coding of film began in the eighties and Pentax cameras that came before them had it. You can check the manual by going to PENTAX Digital Cameras and DSLRs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK -- Just received an SF1, for the price of a couple of rolls of slide film. Looks to be in perfect shape -- except for one little problem. The autofocus doesn't work at all with the 28mm Sigma. The aperture control on A seems to work, but to no wider the f4. 50mm "M" lens works as expected. AF works with a DA kit lens, as seemingly, the aperture as well.
Have here been some subtle changes in the mount specs since the 1980s?
Thanks,
Charles

02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OK -- Just received an SF1, for the price of a couple of rolls of slide film. Looks to be in perfect shape -- except for one little problem. The autofocus doesn't work at all with the 28mm Sigma. The aperture control on A seems to work, but to no wider the f4. 50mm "M" lens works as expected. AF works with a DA kit lens, as seemingly, the aperture as well.
Thanks,
Charles
AFAIK, the basics of AF haven't changed. I have an SF1, as well as a Tamron 28-200mm AF zoom. The lens works perfectly on both the SF1 and my K10D.

Check the electrical contacts on both the lens and camera. A pencil eraser works well to clean electrical contacts. Just be careful not to allow the rubbings to fall into the camera.

Please don't be insulted, but are you sure that the SF1 is set to AF mode? There is a slide switch on the side of the lens mount.
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks,
Charles
If you look at the very bottom of this page, you will see that new Sigma AF lenses don't work with SF series cameras:

Sigma - Lenses - Lens Chart

I only discovered this recently when looking for some information on Sigma lenses.
02-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you look at the very bottom of this page, you will see that new Sigma AF lenses don't work with SF series cameras:

Sigma - Lenses - Lens Chart

I only discovered this recently when looking for some information on Sigma lenses.
I saw that when considering the Sigma purchase, but now know that I had SF confused with the orphaned ME-F. (This is my first AF film camera.)
It more than just doesn't work. The SF1 won't even treat it as an M or K lens. In manual mode, the focus confirm indicators stay dark.
Thanks

07-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I've run into the same issue. My Sigma 28-105mm f4-5.6 UC-II lens won't autofocus on my SF10 body. Every other AF lens I own works fine. Is there no fix for this? This Sigma is so soft it's only really useful for film or maybe portraits. But the contrast is terrible too :/

Am I really shit out of luck?

Charles.